[comp.dcom.telecom] A New Way to be COCOTted

74066.2004@compuserve.com (Larry Rachman) (10/19/90)

A business associate of mine recently received a phone bill that
included two collect calls he had no recollection of. The source
turned out to be interesting one.

I should probably preface this by saying that this fellow has a
popular teenage daughter, which seems to result in him receiving a
certain number of ring-no answer calls on a regular basis. He's more
or less accepted these as the nature of the situation. What caught his
attention on the collect calls was that they were from the same town
he lived in, and were for in excess of $2.00 each!

A call to the business office resulted in the discovery that the calls
had originated at the '...payphone in front of the [local] Toys-R-Us..',
which was (of course) a COCOT.

The prevailing theory is that the COCOT attempted an automated collect
call to his answering maching, and falsely assumed he accepted the
charges. (He also gets a lot of null messages on the answering
machine). As I'm keyboarding this, though, I can't help but wonder if
the call was completed by a sleazy AOS that decided an answering
machine was as good as someone saying 'Yes, I'll accept.'

Do AOS operators work on commission??

Right now, he's trying to get a hold of TeleBlab International (or
whatever) to have the call removed from the bill. Predictably, they
either don't answer, or leave him on infinite hold.

Interesting, though, isn't it? I thought I was safe from COCOTs
because I never went near the fuzzy things, but it seems that they
come and get you even in the comfort and privacy of your own home!

Anyone out there with similar experiences??

Larry Rachman                  internet:74066.2004@compuserve.com

mbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Martin B Weiss) (10/22/90)

In article <13841@accuvax.nwu.edu> 74066.2004@compuserve.com (Larry
Rachman) writes:

>Interesting, though, isn't it? I thought I was safe from COCOTs
>because I never went near the fuzzy things, but it seems that they
>come and get you even in the comfort and privacy of your own home!

One thing that hasn't been addressed by the FCC NPRM and the
legislation that was passed and signed by Bush (something he didn't
veto for a change!) is the collect call issue.  Presumably the choice
of carrier should be made by the person paying for the call (that's
the way economics is supposed to work, anyway).  If someone is calling
you collect from a COCOT or a telephone served by an AOS with whom you
don't care to do business, then how do you get to choose?  You are
essentially stuck with the choice made by the person calling you.  As
a result, you can still be had by an AOS despite your best intentions!

   Martin Weiss
   Telecommunications Program, University of Pittsburgh
   Internet: mbw@lis.pitt.edu OR mbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu
   BITNET: mbw@pittvms

Moderator's Note: A sent-paid call and an incoming collect call are
not quite exact opposites of each other. In sent-paid, you are paying
for the decisions *you* make regarding the routing of the call and its
duration. In collect calls, you have agreed to pay for *the caller's*
decisions. The caller 'decided to' use a COCOT. Of course, we know how
that goes: he probably decided nothing, since most phone users know
nothing about it to start with. He saw a phone and used it. If you
tell him later that his choice of phones caused you to get a higher
than expected phone bill, you embarass a friend.  So I usually say
nothing and go ahead and pay for it. But my trained ear is listening
from the moment I answer the call: Unless I hear 'this is the AT&T
operator with a collect call, etc' I make it quick and offer to call
back to wherever.   PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/24/90)

On Oct 23 at  1:40, TELECOM Moderator and Martin Weiss write:

> [On] the collect call issue.  Presumably the choice
> of carrier should be made by the person paying for the call (that's
> the way economics is supposed to work, anyway).  If someone is calling
> you collect from a COCOT or a telephone served by an AOS with whom you
> don't care to do business, then how do you get to choose?

> Moderator's Note: A sent-paid call and an incoming collect call are
> not quite exact opposites of each other.

It is just because this is true that I take a somewhat draconian
stance on the problem. I don't accept collect calls. Period. No
exceptions.  The moment I sense that an operator is even thinking
"collect" I say "absolutely not" and hang up.

Now, while you are staggering hand over heart to your terminal to talk
about "emergencies" and "unforseen situations", allow me to give you
the view from here. I have not accepted a collect call from ANYONE in
about twenty years. In that time, no one has dropped dead, gone
hungry, or served time as a result. There is always a way to pre-pay a
call, whether it be change in the box, third-number, credit card,
etc., etc.  If some agency is calling to tell me about a relative or
what-have-you, they can prepay the call. A one-minute call from
anywhere in the country at the most expensive time of day is under
$0.50 (I never said I wouldn't call the person back). The most
destitute or cheap individual can afford that. If the only choice is a
gouge-a-matic AOS, why should I pay rather than the caller?

To that end, I have collect calls blocked in the Pac*Bell database.
This means that a collect attempt within the LATA and a collect
attempt within the state via AT&T will fail before it is placed. My
personal feeling is that the concept of "collect" is an anachronism.
Those who wish to receive collect calls as a "courtesy" to others will
just have to accept the risk that accompanies their largess.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

gdw@groucho.att.com (Gordon D Woods) (10/24/90)

 From article <13928@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by mbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu
(Martin B Weiss):

 From Moderator's note:

> decisions. The caller 'decided to' use a COCOT. Of course, we know how
> that goes: he probably decided nothing, since most phone users know
> nothing about it to start with. He saw a phone and used it. If you
> tell him later that his choice of phones caused you to get a higher
> than expected phone bill, you embarass a friend.  So I usually say
> nothing and go ahead and pay for it. But my trained ear is listening

PAT, I can't believe your note. We are the ones who know what is
happening and it is incumbent upon us to inform people and put
"embarassment" aside. If we don't do it, things like defective COCOTs
will endure because the public remains confused.

[Moderator's Note: I'll speak out when asked to do so ... but talking
to some people about relatively technical telecom stuff is a waste of
time. A good many folks -- maybe most of the public -- cannot tell the
difference between a telco payphone and a COCOT without looking
closely, and even then, they are decieved. When COCOTs first started
appearing, *I* could tell the difference easily. Now the COCOT
manufacturers are taking care to make their instruments look exactly
like the genuine thing; even *I* can only tell the difference
sometimes by reading the instruction card in detail: if it says for
Repair Service to call something other than 611, for example ... or if
it gives a strange dial tone of its own, or a few other things. You
expect the public to pay attention?  All these years after divestiture
the public still refers to 'Ma Bell' and 'the phone company'...
admittedly that makes it great for business at the OCC's and the AOS
snakepits; it makes it rough for the rest of us though.  PAT]

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (10/25/90)

In article <13948@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> The moment I sense that an operator is even thinking
> "collect" I say "absolutely not" and hang up.
> If the only choice is a
> gouge-a-matic AOS, why should I pay rather than the caller?

Murphy's view of a gouge-a-matic:

"But, sir, our gouge-a-matic automatically detected that you actually
did accept the call -- it has quite an extensive vocabulary to do just
that."

"I most certainly did not."

"But we have your response recorded here; is this your voice sir?"

<playback> "Will you accept the charges?"  "Absolutely"

Hee . . .

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw