[comp.dcom.telecom] Mercury Marketing Again

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/04/90)

It has been many weeks since the telemarketing firm for the {San Jose
Mercury News} has invaded my privacy. When I raised a big enough stink,
the president of the firm removed my entire prefix (723) from the
calling base.

UPDATE:

A friend in the 370 exchange (Campbell) finally received the call that
broke the camel's back. He told them that he wanted no further calls
on any of his lines (he has two). "Walking the organization" he
finally spoke with someone who told him that the only way he could be
assured of not receiving any further calls was to have them remove
(you guessed it) the 370 prefix from the calling base. He said, "Fine,
go for it."

Then he was treated to the same reasoning that I got a taste of. "But,
sir, if we remove that prefix then we will lose a lot of marketing
contacts." In other words, the San Jose Mercury's right-to-telemarket
supercedes an individual's right-to-privacy.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of these people and am open to suggestions
on how to shut them down permanently and legally. Anyone agree and
have suggestions?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: Admittedly, this problem may call for a special
remedy. Generally, a taste of their own medicine works pretty well.
You might try obtaining the home telephone numbers of various people
in the organization for starters. Let us know how things work out.  PAT]

jyoull@cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Youll) (10/05/90)

>It has been many weeks since the telemarketing firm for the {San Jose
>Mercury News} has invaded my privacy. When I raised a big enough stink,
>the president of the firm removed my entire prefix (723) from the
>calling base.

>Frankly, I'm getting tired of these people and am open to suggestions
>on how to shut them down permanently and legally. Anyone agree and
>have suggestions?

Frankly, I am tired of these idiots calling me at work, too.
Yesterday my secretary got hit with a call that went something like
this:

   (caller) "Hi. This is Mary from Western Supply. How many toner
             cartridges did you want this week?"
   (sec'y)  "Toner cartridges? Western Supply? What is this pertaining to?"
   (caller) (louder) I'm calling about the re-order of toner for your
            copier. How many cartridges did you want?"
   (sec'y)  (after asking me) "We don't normally buy toner from you."
   (caller) "Are you stupid? Just GO OVER TO YOUR COPIER AND TELL ME
             WHAT MODEL IT IS SO WE CAN COMPLETE YOUR ORDER"
   (sec'y)  "We don't HAVE a copier."
   (caller) --click--

(We really DON'T have a copier here)...

This is incredibly annoying, and the bastards don't even give you a
chance to find out who they are. No idents given, even if you ask.  We
absolutely do not accept calls like this for more than the minute it
takes to figure out that it's an idiot and okay to hang up on them.

You might tell people to watch out for this ruse. We have had two or
three calls like this in the past couple months (that I know about).

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu (99700000) (10/08/90)

In article <13068@accuvax.nwu.edu> bgsuvax!jyoull@cis.ohio-state.edu
(Jim Youll) writes:

>   (caller) "Hi. This is Mary from Western Supply. How many toner
>             cartridges did you want this week?"

I've read in the local paper that the D.A.'s office has had a lot of
complaints about some copier-supplies firms that market this way.
They go beyond being "merely" annoying by fooling people into ordering
things they didn't intend to order, at prices higher than their
regular suppliers charge.  Wonder why these sleazoid outfits happen to
pick copier supplies as their merchandise of choice?

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu    haynes@ucscc.bitnet   ..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

[Moderator's Note: They are also into selling FAX paper, printer paper
and other office supplies in the same way.  It is a scam.   PAT]

macy@uunet.uucp (Macy Hallock) (10/08/90)

In article <13131@accuvax.nwu.edu> >haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu writes:

[Discussion of sleazy copier/toner/paper telemarketing practices...]
>Wonder why these sleazoid outfits happen to
>pick copier supplies as their merchandise of choice?

Because it works and they get away with it ... and they sell other
things, too.  I've seen other common items sold the same way.
Sometimes its sold COD, other times they just render a big invoice
that looks legit and it gets paid.  An awful lot of small and large
companies will pay damn near any credible looking invoice...remember
telex directories?

If the receptionist is given explicit instructions on how to handle
telemarketing salescritters, then its easier to control ... most
employees are trained to respond to authority over the phone with
action, not questions.  This is not always in your best interest, and
is a sign of poor employee training.

Here, all calls where questions are asked about equipment info, etc.
are sent to the person who handles our purchasing.  Invoices are never
ever paid unless a P.O. was issued, with prices on it, so the
bookkeeper knows the invoice is OK.  COD's must have a P.O. number on
the address label or back they go.  This is occasionally inconvienient
(like the time they sent back a tech manual I ordered and paid for by
credit card, but had no PO number ... now we use a personal name, not
a company name on those orders)

Even the yellow pages bills, advertising bills and long distance
invoices are checked for contract compliance before payment.  This
sometimes slows things up a bit, but you'd be amazed at the errors
(accidental and intentional) that have been caught here.  Double
invoices from some suppliers are often caught...

I find my wife often responds to telemarketing people who call her at
home.  Why?  Well, she's a medical lab tech (can you say
histotechnologist?) and often answers questions on the phone at the
lab.  If she asks someone calling who they are or why they need the
info, she usually gets yelled at by a rude and impatient doctor.  (So
much for patient confidentiality)......

I've finally trained her (with her cooperation, of course) to tell the
telemarketing types "We do not discuss {financial, real estate, sales}
transactions on the phone and hang up.  She hang up on Sears the other
night.  We have found this will work with stockbrokers if used
properly, too.  (I still haven't got our local newspaper to quit
calling, yet.)

I'm waiting for her to hang up on a doctor at work by accident one of
these days.

Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG      uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (10/10/90)

(Jim Youll) writes:

> Yesterday my secretary got hit with a call that went something like
> this:

>    (caller) "Hi. This is Mary from Western Supply. How many toner
>              cartridges did you want this week?"
>    (sec'y)  "Toner cartridges? Western Supply? What is this pertaining to?"

> This is incredibly annoying, and the bastards don't even give you a
> chance to find out who they are. No idents given, even if you ask.  We
> absolutely do not accept calls like this for more than the minute it
> takes to figure out that it's an idiot and okay to hang up on them.

> You might tell people to watch out for this ruse. We have had two or
> three calls like this in the past couple months (that I know about).

These are getting quite common.  Our receptionist routes all calls
like this to me, even though handling office supplies has nothing to
do with my job description.

They usually call and right off want to know the model number of our
fax machine or copier.  Then they act like they are our "regular
supplier."  The scam is, they want to find someone new or naive who
will accept a delivery of this stuff, and they will tell you that they
have a "fantastic deal" for you.

I have fun trying to get these folks to give me some kind of basic
information about who they are, where they are, etc.  I rarely get
them to tell me a last name, and the company names are always generic
sounding (National Data Supply, etc).  They never will give me an
address, and rarely anything but an 800 number.  Once I ask a couple
of fundamental questions that people would normally ask before doing
business, they hang up.

One guy actually stayed on the phone a whole minute and a half.  I
joked with him that I was getting two or three calls a week like this,
and "they always hang up on me."  I got him to promise not to hang up,
got a first and last name, a company name, but then he had trouble
telling me where he was calling from.  "California", he said.  "Where
in California?", said I.  "Uh ... L.A.".  I tried to get him to give
me an address, and he choked.  I asked again for "the actual physical
address where you are now".

He hung up!

These guys must be working under a horrendous quota.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544       Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad    or, tad@ssc.UUCP

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (10/11/90)

In article <13221@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:

	Mucho stuff about dealing with toner conmen deleted - but
worth a read.

> One guy actually stayed on the phone a whole minute and a half.  I
> joked with him that I was getting two or three calls a week like this,
> and "they always hang up on me."  I got him to promise not to hang up,
> got a first and last name, a company name, but then he had trouble
> telling me where he was calling from.  "California", he said.  "Where
> in California?", said I.  "Uh ... L.A.".  I tried to get him to give
> me an address, and he choked.  I asked again for "the actual physical
> address where you are now".

	So now you know what all the out of work actors do in LA. When
they are not working on their hair, they work in boiler rooms. I am
ashamed to say that the capital of telephone con men is LA. The
"office supplies", charities, long distance service and such stuff are
worked mostly from Los Angeles. The securities cons are worked mostly
from Newport Beach in nearby Orange County. So if it's diamonds and
oil wells, it should be Newport Beach, Irvine and Costa Mesa. If it's
ball point pens and Toner, it should be West LA, Mid Wilshire. There
are exceptions. I know of one Oil and Coins boiler room in Century
City (Adjacent to Beverly Hills), but the owner lives in Costa Mesa.

	They like to use actors for several reasons. They are usually
desperate for a temporary job so they can whizz away for auditions.
They can assume personnas - I knew one that played a devout Jew for
the Jewish community and it worked well for him.

	In the want ads in this town there are constant ads for
"telemarketing" jobs. Some claim in the ads that the locations have
windows.

	The average boiler room is a cheap location filled with
folding tables and single line phones fed with POTS business lines.
Some have Centrex. The better places put Confidencer noise cancelling
transmitters on the handsets. Some boiler rooms only handle one or two
scams, often the scam of the owner, some are renta-voice places and
play the scam that someone is hiring them for. There are many
exceptions to the above rules, I have been in some very well furnished
boiler rooms. The better places are doing something more lucrative
than copier supplies. The top of the line places make millions on oil.
diamonds, coins, precious metals, whisky futures etc.

	All of these places change their names and sometimes their
locations with great regularity. How long have these slimeballs been
operating?  Well, some of them used to sell carbon paper over the
phone.

	Having seen boiler rooms from the other side, I would say a
good rule of thumb is: Never buy anything over the phone. Never agree
to anything on the phone. The cute girl who tells you she is working
her way through college could be a 40 year old mother of three still
waiting for a good movie part.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

John_David_Galt@uunet.uu.net (10/13/90)

I have also gotten some annoying sales calls from the Mercury, though
not lately.  At least they seem to obey the law against having a
computer initiate the call, without a human being talking to you
first.  There are several companies, including one in San Jose, which
are still flouting this law and appear to be getting away with it.

It occurs to me that many of us could creatively define our
terminating equipment as "computers," and sue these people under the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act (a law which deals with the
unauthorized use of other people's computers, among other things).
I'm not a lawyer but would like to see this notion tested in front of
a jury.

das@cs.ucla.edu (David A Smallberg) (10/14/90)

In article <13495@accuvax.nwu.edu> portal!cup.portal.com!
John_David_Galt writes:

>I have also gotten some annoying sales calls from the Mercury, though
>not lately.  At least they seem to obey the law against having a
>computer initiate the call, without a human being talking to you
>first. ...

I understood this to be California law, also, but I found no reference
to it at the UCLA Law Library.  Any Californian have the section
number?  In any event, does the law cover non-sales, informational
messages?  Our local high school has a computer that apparently calls
all the parents of students every Saturday afternoon and plays a
recording of school-related information about the upcoming week.  (Of
course, the first part of the message talks through answering
machines' outgoing messages.)  Is this legal in California?

While perusing the code books, I did spot the law that explicitly
makes it illegal in California to use the toll-avoidance signalling
methods discussed in this forum last month (You know, "I'd to make a
collect call for <code-name>" that means "Hey, mom!  Call me at my
dorm room right now.")

David Smallberg, das@cs.ucla.edu, ...!{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!cs.ucla.edu!das

[Moderator's Note: The government never has to follow the rules the
rest of us have to follow, didn't you know that?    PAT]

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (10/16/90)

>>I have also gotten some annoying sales calls from the Mercury, though
>>not lately.  At least they seem to obey the law against having a
>>computer initiate the call, without a human being talking to you
>>first. ...

>I understood this to be California law, also, but I found no reference
>to it at the UCLA Law Library.  Any Californian have the section
>number?

Many of the "laws" regulating telephone usage are administrative laws,
not statutory laws.  They are in the form of tariffs on file with the
PUC.  Although not "laws" as most people think of them, since they
weren't passed by the legislature, they have the same force and effect
(ever heard of the Internal Revenue Code?)

orgren@rtc.reston.unisys.com (Paul Orgren) (10/17/90)

Something just occurred to me -- does the S.J. Mercury bother their
own subscribers with the telemarketing calls?  If they do, it seems
they would have a lot of annoyed customers getting monthly calls
though they already subscribe.  If they do not, then they *do* have a
way of blocking specific numbers (contrary to their claims of not
being able to do that).

On a related topic: when I moved to Houston in 1980, within hours of
my phone being connected, I received a call from the Houston Post
inviting me to subscribe.  It seemed that Southwestern Bell must be
giving them lists of newly connected numbers.

Paul Orgren (orgren@rtc.reston.unisys.com)

bill@eedsp.gatech.edu (bill) (10/17/90)

I don't know for sure how the Merc does it, but the local papers here
do it something like this: "Hello, this is Mrs. So-and-so with the
Gotham Observer.  I'm just calling to see if you are getting your
paper/Gotham Observer okay?"

They call everyone.  They don't call just the subscribers.  If you say
"Well no, I don't subscribe," then they launch into a sales pitch and
afterward they'll put your number on a list for intensive grilling and
telemarketing.  If you say, "Usually, but not today," then they'll
arrange some sort of compensation (a manager will even bring you a
paper, supposedly).  If you say, "yes, getting it just fine," then
they thank you for your time and go on to the next number.  Seems like
the safe way out (if you detest telemarketers) is to say "everything
is just fine," or something like that.

Is this the practice used in anyone else's community?

Bill Berbenich    Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!{backbones}!gatech!eedsp!bill   Internet: bill@eedsp.gatech.edu

[Moderator's Note: Your scenario matches the Chicago Tribune almost
exactly.  PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/18/90)

On Oct 17 at 2:46, Paul Orgren <orgren@rtc.reston.unisys.com> writes:

> Something just occurred to me -- does the S.J. Mercury bother their
> own subscribers with the telemarketing calls?

Oh, yes, they certainly do. I have been a subscriber at this residence
since 1968. Most of my friends and associates are also subscribers and
are also plagued with the calls.

The line goes like this: "This is Jim from the San Jose Mercury News.
Are you receiving the paper OK?" In essence, they are trying to come
off as a QC call. Presumably, if you don't take the paper you would so
state and then be subject to the sales pitch. I actually fell for this
line the first several times. Then it occurred to me that NOBODY
follows up on service satisfaction two or three times a week, week
after week. And do so calling every line in the house.

Of the many e-mail suggestions that I have had, one of them was
"Subscribe to the damn paper and then they will stop." Unfortunately,
I'm sure there have been non-subscribers who have been beaten into
submission. They subscribed to the paper just to stop the calls, and
then found to their dismay that it brought no relief.

Truth in Advertising would suggest that the Merc solicitor would give
the disclaimer, "Consent to this subscription offer will not stop the
solicitation calls."

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

amb@ai.mit.edu (Andrew M. Boardman) (10/18/90)

>Something just occurred to me -- does the S.J. Mercury bother their
>own subscribers with the telemarketing calls?

They quite possibly do.  As long as the first thing they ask is "Do
you currently receive the S. J. Mercury" they can continue with "Do
you find you service satisfactory?  Good.  Bye." leaving the customer
with the warm feeling that the Mercury cared enough to call.

tn07+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Neudecker) (10/18/90)

I don't know about the Mercury Marketing program but in Pittsburgh the
local scam is to say "Hi I am AAAAA with the Pittsburgh Press, I am
calling to see if you recieved your paper today?"  A "yes response
branches to a thank you and hope we can continue to serve you."  A "I
don't subscribe" response then brings up "do you want to?", with what
ever is the current special new price.

When directly asked, the operator states that they work for the
newspaper but a response of "I didn't receive tonight's paper, can you
have one sent out?"  always blows them away.  They would then hangup
or say this or that but never would they provide a replacement paper
or a return phone number.  I have a couple of lines in and more than
one listing name on the line so I would these calls about once a month
on each line/listing.

Tom Neudecker
Pittsburgh, Pa.

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (10/18/90)

In article <13624@accuvax.nwu.edu>, orgren@rtc.reston.unisys.com
(Paul Orgren) writes:

> Something just occurred to me -- does the S.J. Mercury bother their
> own subscribers with the telemarketing calls?  If they do, it seems
> they would have a lot of annoyed customers getting monthly calls
> though they already subscribe.

I subscribe to both the {Gwinnett Daily News} and {Atlanta Journal}
here.  I nevertheless get telemarketing calls from both roughly every
other month.  Once we explain that we already subscribe, they politely
ask if our service is satisfactory.  It's not just a blow-off, either;
I have on a couple of occassions mentioned to these telemarketing
folks that I've had problems with lost or wet papers, and subsequently
received follow-up calls from supervisors in the circulation and
customer service departments.  I think I'd prefer not to get called at
all, but at least they don't just hang up.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer   | Voice:   +1-404-449-8791  AT&T:  !tnixon
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.| Fax:     +1-404-447-0178  CIS: 70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                  | UUCP: uunet!hayes!tnixon  MCI:  267-0805
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA     | Internet:      hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

gadbois@cs.utexas.edu (David Gadbois) (10/19/90)

orgren@rtc.reston.unisys.com (Paul Orgren) writes:

>On a related topic: when I moved to Houston in 1980, within hours of
>my phone being connected, I received a call from the Houston Post
>inviting me to subscribe.  It seemed that Southwestern Bell must be
>giving them lists of newly connected numbers.

I actually worked in the Post subscription department in late 1980.
(I was only 15 at the time, and I only lasted a week on the job --
even then I realized how sleazy it was.)  We got $0.50 per
subscription we sold.

There was one guy there whose mother was a real estate agent.  She
would give him lists of new rentals and sales in town.  He was
probably the one who called you.  He made a killing since at the time
an ungodly number of people were moving to Houston every week.  I
recall that he went to great pains not to let the Post find out about
his inside source -- they thought he was just an unbelievably good
salesman.  The rest of us were stuck with going through entire
prefixes, one number at a time.

David Gadbois

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (10/20/90)

In <13623@accuvax.nwu.edu> Steve Forrette <forrette@cory.berkeley.edu>
writes:

>>>I have also gotten some annoying sales calls from the Mercury, though
>>>not lately.  At least they seem to obey the law against having a
>>>computer initiate the call, without a human being talking to you
>>>first. ...

>>I understood this to be California law, also, but I found no reference
>>to it at the UCLA Law Library.  Any Californian have the section
>>number?

>Many of the "laws" regulating telephone usage are administrative laws,
>not statutory laws.  They are in the form of tariffs on file with the
>PUC.  Although not "laws" as most people think of them, since they
>weren't passed by the legislature, they have the same force and effect
>(ever heard of the Internal Revenue Code?)

A little research time at the University of Nebraska College of Law
library revealed the following, which I think answers the followup to
the original question (note this is California law.  As the earlier
post notes, each state is different).

                   ANNOTATED CALIFORNIA CODES
                      PUBLIC UTILITIES CODE
         ARTICLE 1. AUTOMATIC DIALING-ANNOUNCING DEVICES

 s 2871. Definitions

  As used in this article, "automatic dialing-announcing device" means
any automatic equipment which incorporates a storage capability of
telephone numbers to be called or a random or sequential number
generator capable of producing numbers to be called and the
capability, working alone or in conjunction with other equipment, to
disseminate a prerecorded message to the telephone number called.

 s 2874. Operation of device

  (a) Whenever telephone calls are placed through the use of an
automatic dialing-announcing device, the device may be operated only
after an unrecorded, natural voice announcement has been made to the
person called by the person calling.  The announcement shall do all of
the following:

  (1) State the nature of the call and the name, address, and
telephone number of the business or organization being represented, if
any.

  (2) Inquire as to whether the person called consents to hear the
prerecorded message of the person calling.

  (b) The calling person described in subdivision (a) shall disconnect
the automatic dialing-announcing device from the telephone line upon
the termination of the call by either the person calling or the person
called.

 s 2876. Penalties

  Any person violating this article is guilty of a civil offense and
is subject to either or both of the following penalties:

  (a) A fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500) for each
violation, levied and enforced by the commission, on complaint or on
its own motion, pursuant to Chapter 11 (commencing with Section 2100)
of Part 1.

  (b) Disconnection of telephone service to the automatic
dialing-announcing device for a period of time which shall be
specified by the commission.

riddle@hoss.unl.edu    riddle@crchpux.unl.edu
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org
Sysop on 1:285/27 @ Fidonet

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (10/23/90)

I don't understand what's so difficult about getting rid of
telemarketing calls.  I've never had more than two of them from an
undesired source.

Call #1 gets interrupted as soon as I figure out what's going on with
"I'm sorry I'm not interested in <whatever> goodbye" *click*, all in
one breath.

Call #2 gets interrupted with "This call is being recorded and will be
reported to the New York City Police Department as an act of telephone
harassment do not call again goodbye" *click*.  This statement is
untrue, but I have never had a callback after that.

After all, these people get paid by results, no?  The last thing they
want is somebody who 1) will not buy and 2) will make trouble.

cowan@marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)

[Moderator's Note: My sentiments exactly. I've always been amused by
the messages both here and elsewhere on the net by folks who
apparently are frightened to death that they might actually encounter
one on the phone and have to say no ... so frigthened by telemarketers
are they that they go to such extremes: published lines where are
never answered; non-pub lines which route through an answering machine
for screening first, etc.  Do like Nancy: Just say no (and hang up).  PAT]

dpletche@jarthur.claremont.edu (David Pletcher) (10/25/90)

In article <13946@accuvax.nwu.edu> cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan)
writes:

>I don't understand what's so difficult about getting rid of
>telemarketing calls.  I've never had more than two of them from an
>undesired source.

>[Moderator's Note: My sentiments exactly. I've always been amused by
>the messages both here and elsewhere on the net by folks who
>apparently are frightened to death that they might actually encounter
>one on the phone and have to say no ... so frigthened by telemarketers
>are they that they go to such extremes: published lines where are
>never answered; non-pub lines which route through an answering machine
>for screening first, etc.  Do like Nancy: Just say no (and hang up).  PAT]

I don't know whether avoiding telemarketers and other unsolicited
calls merits some of the extreme measures that other readers use, but
I think that the two of you are forgetting the major reason that
telemarketers are a nuisance.  It is not that it is difficult to
disengage one once I pick up the phone, but merely that answering the
phone is often a great inconvenience.  Many times I have been in the
shower, or eating dinner, or doing something else I don't want to have
interrupted when the phone rings.  So when I pick up the phone after
having jumped out of the shower and run down the hallway, dripping
everyhere, I am not amused to hear an automated announcement
soliciting a piano tuning service (especially since I don't have a
piano).

When the phone rings, I assume it is because someone has something
marginally important, or at least interesting, to say; thus I drop
what I am doing to answer the phone.  That is why I do not appreciate
being interrupted by junk phone calls.

David Pletcher
dpletche@jarthur.claremont.edu

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/25/90)

John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> writes:

> I don't understand what's so difficult about getting rid of
> telemarketing calls.  I've never had more than two of them from an
> undesired source.

But your techniques wouldn't work with the Merky News. They pay no
attention to whom they call on either a short or long term basis. The
numbers are dialed by a machine and then passed to a boiler room
operator. Even if you threatened to boil the caller in oil, you could
find the same person calling you back the next evening -- and it
wouldn't be his fault! The system doesn't care about your response, it
doesn't care whether you already subscribe, and it doesn't care if you
are a Trailblazer; it will call you back over and over again.

> [Moderator's Note: My sentiments exactly. I've always been amused by
> the messages both here and elsewhere on the net by folks who
> apparently are frightened to death that they might actually encounter
> one on the phone and have to say no...

I have no trouble telling telemarketers where they can go and what
they can do. Where I draw the line is when the same one calls back
three and four times a week, week after week, going sequentially down
my ten lines EACH TIME. Please do not trivialize the offensiveness of
the Merky telemarketing. I regularly turn down the Police Athletic
League, the Fund for Homeless Furniture Makers, endless investment
"opportunities", MCI LD offers, etc. The list is endless. BUT ...
1) These groups and salespeople take "no" for an answer and don't call
back for at least a couple of months, and ... 2) they don't scan down
sequentially, turning a minor inconvenience into a major annoyance.

The Merky News telemarketing system is possibly the most offensive and
irritating abomination ever concocted in the world of telephony (short
of GTE and COCOTs, of course). There is no defense against it other
than direct legal threats to those in charge. This has worked quite
nicely, but for now only those with 723 prefixes are safe :-)

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (10/25/90)

In article <13946@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Moderator writes:

> [Moderator's Note: My sentiments exactly.

I have no trouble saying no.  In addition, mxy primary line is
published.  For some reason or another (maybe small town) I don't have
a BIG problem with telemarketers.  However, I can seriously sympathize
with those that do because of at least one problem: sleep.  If one
doesn't sleep the same hours as telemarketers, "just saying no" can be
quite a problem.  If I was losing sleep over the problem, you can bet
I would start dreaming up gizmos to help me out.

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw