[comp.dcom.telecom] To ACD or to VRU

kevinc@uunet.uu.net (Kevin Collins) (10/26/90)

In article <13815@accuvax.nwu.edu>, fozzie!stanley@uu.psi.com (John
Stanley) writes:

> [stuff about large book-o-month club having customer-hostile ACD,
> requiring customer to make 3 calls, "stupidity of one-item ACD's",
> club's $5k box putting all calls in one basket, no "direct incoming
> line to customer support", etc. Mr. Stanley's conclusion: general
> public won't grasp total (bad) picture and won't complain.]

I agree with most of your points, but I just wanted to clarify a few
things.  First of all, if this company has a "true" ACD system and is
only using it as you describe, said company wasted a *large* amount of
money!! ACD's cost far more than $5K - a small ACD could easily cost
around $100K. The system you describe sounds more like a Voice Response
Unit, which is much less expensive than an ACD and doesn't provide a lot
in the way of call routing features.

Also, to paraphrase another contributor to this forum, harassing the
poor salescritter won't do you any good! It is unlikely that an ACD
agent understands how calls get routed; it's entirely possible that the
agent's supervisor will not completely understand how the calls are
routed through the entire system. So, perhaps I should rephrase my
original statement: if you don't like how ABC company handles your
incoming calls, complain to *somebody who can change it.*

Kevin Collins                   |  Aspect Telecommunications
USENET: ...uunet!aspect!kevinc  |  San Jose, CA
Voice:  +1 408 441 2489         |  My opinions are mine alone.