[comp.dcom.telecom] Telemarketers: Keeping Them From Calling is Harder

browns@uunet.uu.net (CONTR BROWN,STAN) (10/26/90)

Our esteemed Moderator, proving that even Jove nods occasionally,
writes in <13946@accuvax.nwu.edu>:

>[Moderator's Note: My sentiments exactly. I've always been amused by
>the messages both here and elsewhere on the net by folks who
>apparently are frightened to death that they might actually encounter
>one on the phone and have to say no ... so frigthened by telemarketers
>are they that they go to such extremes: published lines where are
>never answered; non-pub lines which route through an answering machine
>for screening first, etc.  Do like Nancy: Just say no (and hang up).  PAT]

The problem is _not_ getting rid of them.  It's the disruptions these
unwanted calls cause.  Either (1) You always answer your phone, which
subjects you to numerous interruptions of daily (and nightly)
activities, or (2) You answer the phone only when you're right next to
it and not doing anything else, which means you may miss urgent calls
and will certainly miss important ones.  ("Hey Stan I just called to
see if you wanted to go to the movies this afternoon but you're not
home so I'll call somebody else bye.")

What I want to know is, how is it that telemarketers always seem to
know as soon as I run a sinkful of soapy water anmd start washing
dishes? :-)