[comp.dcom.telecom] Autoconnect From DA in PA

ken@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Ken Jongsma) (10/19/90)

There was an interesting article in a Penn. newspaper yesterday. I was
only in the area for a few hours and did not get a chance to confirm
it.

The columnist was going on about how lazy people are getting and cited
Bell of PA as an example. Apparently, when you ask for a directory
number in PA, you get the usual computer generated answer, followed by
the suggestion that for an additional 30 cents, you can be connected
automatically. Presumably, these are for local calls, or perhaps in
addition to the toll charges.

I know we've talked about this in the Digest before, but I hadn't
realized any telco had implemented it yet.

Ken Jongsma              ken@wybbs.mi.org
Smiths Industries        ken%wybbs@sharkey.umich.edu
Grand Rapids, Michigan   ..sharkey.cc.umich.edu!wybbs!ken

slr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Rhoades) (10/22/90)

In article <13846@accuvax.nwu.edu> wybbs!ken@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Ken
Jongsma) writes:

>Apparently, when you ask for a directory
>number in PA, you get the usual computer generated answer, followed by
>the suggestion that for an additional 30 cents, you can be connected
>automatically. Presumably, these are for local calls, or perhaps in
>addition to the toll charges.

This service is available in the northern section of Oakland, Calif.
also.  An otherwise local call costs 35 cents (normally 20 cents).

Apparently it's only available from "real" (Pac*Bell) coin phones.

Internet: slr@tybalt.caltech.edu  |  Voice-mail: (818) 794-6004
UUCP: ...elroy!tybalt!slr         |  USmail: Box 1000, Mt. Wilson, Ca.  91023

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (10/23/90)

(Ken Jongsma) writes:

> I know we've talked about this in the Digest before, but I hadn't
> realized any telco had implemented it yet.

Yup.  An interesting aside is thinking about how one would block this
service on a PBX that allows access to DA, but would rather have users
dial the number themselves.  Maybe they should make DA a 976 number!

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

konstan@elmer-fudd.berkeley.edu (Joe Konstan) (10/23/90)

In Telecom Digest V10 #752 Steve Rhoades writes:

>This service is available in the northern section of Oakland, Calif.
>also.  An otherwise local call costs 35 cents (normally 20 cents).

Actually it stretches up into at least Contra Costa County (Richmond
and San Pable) as well and costs 35 cents IN ADDITION TO the 20 cents.
I tried a local call and it asked for 55 cents.  If nobody else has,
I'll try more expensive calls and see how far within Pac*Bell land the
service carries.

Joe Konstan

Richard.Lerner@lerner.avalon.cs.cmu.edu (10/24/90)

When you call Directory Assistance in (Pittsburgh) Pennsylvania, after
you give the operator the name you want to find, you FIRST get a 15
second or so recording about auto connect (its a $.30 surcharge) and
THEN get the number you desired.  What a waste of time!  They should
at least give you the number first.

I think that the designers of automated phone systems (and other
systems) often forget that peoples' time is of some value.  They
consider only the most naive users and ignore the effects of the
system on "more advanced users".  Other examples are phone menus with
agonizingly long descriptions of your options in a slow deliberate
monotone voice; "If you are calling from a pushbutton phone <long
pause> pleeeze dial 1 to connect you with a sales representative.
<long pause> If you are in need of service or repair, pleeeze dial 2.
If you ... If you are dialing from a rotary phone, please hold the
line and an operator will assist you."  Less socially friendly, but
more user-friendly would be: "Push 1 for sales, 2 for repairs, ..., or
hold for an operator."  My most recent example of poor design was when
I called Sprint to be added to their frequent caller program.  The
number was answered with a phone menu (like the long one above).

Having the requisite touch-tone phone, I pushed 1.  The machine next
asked for my account number.  Since I was calling from work, I did not
have my number handy and I figured that my name would be sufficient if
someone would listen to it.  So I waited for a time out... "Please
enter your account number now" ... "Please enter your account number
now." ... "Please enter your account number now." .... Finally, the
machine just hung up!!!  I should point out that this number is not
Sprint's normal customer service number, but a special number for
their frequent caller program (possibly some outside vendor) and when,
upon calling back and waiting through their phone menu recording, I
finally did speak to an operator, she sounded sincere when she said
she would forward my comments to the appropriate people.

Rick Lerner  (ral+@cs.cmu.edu)
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University

End of TELECOM Digest V10 #756
******************************

gkj@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gregory K Johnson) (10/25/90)

In article <13943@accuvax.nwu.edu>  Richard.Lerner@lerner.avalon.
cs.cmu.edu writes:

>[...]  My most recent example of poor design was when
>I called Sprint to be added to their frequent caller program.  The
>number was answered with a phone menu (like the long one above).

>Having the requisite touch-tone phone, I pushed 1.  The machine next
>asked for my account number.  Since I was calling from work, I did not
>have my number handy and I figured that my name would be sufficient if
>someone would listen to it.  So I waited for a time out... "Please
>enter your account number now" ... "Please enter your account number
>now." ... "Please enter your account number now." .... Finally, the
>machine just hung up!!!

AT&T College & University Systems has a brain-damaged computer that
does this also when it asks you for your account number.

But what was most galling was that when I called back and waited for
an operator, the operator couldn't look up my account number!

This is one of many tales of woe with ACUS.  In my opinion their
service is completely incompetent.

Greg

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (10/25/90)

Jongsma) writes:

>Bell of PA as an example. Apparently, when you ask for a directory
>number in PA, you get the usual computer generated answer, followed by
>the suggestion that for an additional 30 cents, you can be connected
>automatically. Presumably, these are for local calls, or perhaps in
>addition to the toll charges.

This is almost certainly provided from a Northern Telecom TOPS MP
system.  In my NT Product Handbook the following description is found
(sic):

TOPS MP

TOPS MP (Traffic Operator Position System Multipurpose) is a universal
operator system developed to meet emerging call-processing
requirements.  Designed to allow telephone operating companies to
combine multiple operator functions into a single work station, TOPS
MP also provides optimal operator efficiency, reliability, and
comfort.

  Through its fully-integrated proprietary interface with DMS-200 and
external data bases, TOPS MP offers a universal approach to operator
services.  Traditionally, separate functions of toll services and
directory assistance are combined in the same trunk network, automatic
call distributors, and operator teams.  In addition to providing
multiple data base access, TOPS MP provides integrated alternate
billing and audio response for new services, and integrated voice and
data interfaces.  Such integration consolidates tasks and eliminates
the need for seperate management, clerical, and methods of support for
each function.

DMS-200 TOPS introduced in 1981
TOPS MP introduced in 1987

Product Summary
Nomenclature: TOPS MP
Features:

  The initial TOPS MP offering, TOPS MP Version 1, is a Toll and
Assistance (TA) system integrating state-of-the-art developments in
ergonomics and producing the lowest Average Work Time (AWT) in the
industry.

  TOPS MP Version 2, the latest advance in operator-service
capabilities for the telephone operating company, adds Advanced
Directory Assistance (ADA) and Intercept (INT) services to the
functionality of TOPS MP Version 1.

  Advanced Directory Assistance offers major improvements over current
Directory Assistance (DA) service offerings by including all of
today's DA services with the power of a full-service Toll and
Assistance tandem switch with Automatic Call Distribution (ACD).
Revenue-generating services such as automatic or operator Directory
Assistance Call Completion (DACC), ADA branding and per-DA-request
billing (with alternate billing service options) are integrated
features of TOPS MP Version 2.

  Intercept on TOPS MP Version 2 provides the full range of intercept
services required today, and serves Automatic Intercept Service (AIS),
Operator Number Identification (ONI) and Automatic Number
Identification Fail (ANIF) intercept, and split referrals.  Where
appropriate, Version 2 also serves intercept recalls to an operator so
that further assistance can be given to an intercepted call.

Benefits:

  TOPS MP supports multiple network trunking arrangements.  Advanced
Directory Assistance, Intercept, and Toll and Assistance calls can
arrive on seperate or combined trunk groups.  TOPS MP Version 2, and
any Version 1 site with BCS27 or higher software, can support up to
100 entries in the Outgoing Trunk (OGT) list.  The OGT list
consolidates the OGT,Transfer (XFER), and Assistance functions of TOPS
MP Version 1 and TOPS 4 systems.

  With TOPS MP Version 2, operator-services management can combine all
TA, ADA, and INT activities in a fully integrated multipurpose system,
or the services can be administered through seperate teams.  In either
mode, only one ACD group is required to serve all operator service
needs, as well as other possible network requirements, such as access
tandem functions.  With a single ACD group, TOPS MP Version 2 performs
the functions that currently require three seperate ACD groups in most
applications.

  To support the administration of TOPS MP, Northern Telecom provides
statistical data that allows administration of a universal position
system.  Statistical data for TA, ADA, and INT are outputted for each
basic service and also are combined in order to evaluate total system
performance.

  TOPS MP also goes far beyond the capabilities of current
operator-services work stations or personal computer-based systems by
allowing telephone operating companies independent access to selected
service nodes and data bases, thereby giving management team full
control of the office.

Vance Shipley    SwitchView - The Linton Technology Group
(519)746-4460    vances@ltg  or  ... uunet!watmath!xenitec!ltg!vances

dpletche@jarthur.claremont.edu (David Pletcher) (10/27/90)

In article <14014@accuvax.nwu.edu> gkj@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gregory
K Johnson) writes:

>AT&T College & University Systems has a brain-damaged computer that
>does this also when it asks you for your account number.

>But what was most galling was that when I called back and waited for
>an operator, the operator couldn't look up my account number!

>This is one of many tales of woe with ACUS.  In my opinion their
>service is completely incompetent.

Another particularly annoying feature of ACUS is that great AT&T
itself is charging based on a timeout rather than answer supervision.
In the literature we got with our cards it warns us that we will be
charged for our call if we let it ring more than five times.  To
further complicate matters, our campus PBX is set up badly so that you
cannot reliably hang up when you want to.  Often the phone starts
ringing again after a few seconds, and when you pick it up you hear
your outgoing call in progress (which you are now being charged for
after the fifth ring.)  In light of recent messages which said that
uncompleted interstate calls cannot be charged, I am thinking about
taking this up with the FCC.

It sounds like ACUS does not believe in echo-cancellation either; when
I make outgoing long distance calls it sounds like I am calling from
inside a cave to both parties.  When I am called by others I do not
have this problem.  I have spent quite a long time on the phone with
AT&T people and campus phone service people; neither will accept
responsibility or even claim to understand what I am talking about.

I really expected better from AT&T.

David Pletcher
dpletche@jarthur.claremont.edu