[comp.dcom.telecom] Two Residential Phones; Same Address and 'Owner'; One Bill?

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (10/08/90)

I get two bills for my home phones.  It seems pointless (I mail the
payments in the same envelope, etc).  It seems reasonable to ask NET
to bill them together.  Any reasons why I shouldn't do this?  Any
reason why they wouldn't do this?

Clues will be welcome.

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>
#     via X.400: S=mensch; OU=informatik; P=tu-muenchen; A=dbp; C=de

[Moderator's Note: Illinois Bell is willing to issue one bill each
month showing all numbers 'associated' with a main number provided the
service is at the same location and the phones are on the same prefix
and in the same billing cycle. This is good since it allows the useage
from all lines in the account group to mutually contribute to volume
discounts in pricing, etc.  PAT]

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (10/10/90)

In article <13164@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Henry Mensch <henry@garp.mit.edu>
writes:

> I get two bills for my home phones.  It seems pointless (I mail the
> payments in the same envelope, etc).  It seems reasonable to ask NET
> to bill them together.  Any reasons why I shouldn't do this?  Any
> reason why they wouldn't do this?

I have the same problem with the same LEC. My lines are in a hunt
group even, but they have different classes of service. It is the
class of service difference, they say, that makes them be billed
seperately. One line in METRO (actually CIRCLE which includes METRO),
and the other in CONTIG.

If your lines are in the same exchange, they should be on the same
billing cycle. N.B. that some Cambridge lines out of the same CO (Ware
St., not Bent St.) can't be billed together and can't hunt to the
other exchange.

The problem here is some are stuck on the old # 1 ESS, and others are
on the # 5 ESS.

dorl@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael (NMI)) (10/10/90)

In article <13164@accuvax.nwu.edu>, henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch)
writes...

>I get two bills for my home phones.  It seems pointless (I mail the
>payments in the same envelope, etc).  It seems reasonable to ask NET
>to bill them together.  Any reasons why I shouldn't do this?  Any
>reason why they wouldn't do this?

I ordered a second line for my home the other day and was confronted
with the same situation.  The agent asked if I wanted one bill or two.
I replied that I did not care.  She then asked what kind of service I
wanted.  I told her I wanted 60 calls (our other phone is unlimited)
and she said in that case, the two bill plan would be cheaper.  I
suspect that if I had ordered the same kind of service they would have
combined the bills.  Our phone book has a very good explanation of
rates but no mention of this anomaly is included.

Makes about as much sense as the $0.01 refund check my daughter got
from Wisc Bell last week with $0.45 postage.

Michael Dorl              (608) 262-0466  fax (608) 262-4679
dorl@vms.macc.wisc.edu    MACC / University of Wisconsin - Madison
dorl@wiscmacc.bitnet      1210 W. Dayton St. / Madison, WI 53706

dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David Tamkin) (10/21/90)

Policies vary from telco to telco.  When my second number was an
auxiliary line of my first number, I had to accept a single bill from
Centel to get the auxiliary-line billing arrangement.  The two drew
off the same prepayment for message units, regardless of which line I
placed a local call from, and ANAC gave the main number for both.
Some long-distance companies listed all calls as having been dialed
from the main number; some listed them separately.  AT&T told me,
contrary to what I've since read here in Telecom Digest, that I'd need
separate ROA accounts for the two lines and would have to pay two
minima per month or take ROA on only one line.  I told AT&T no thanks.

Later I realized that CallPak 200 would not be enough (especially
after they fixed the billing software error that was allowing me four
hundred units per month before billing additional units instead of
just the two hundred I was paying for) and wanted to switch to CallPak
Unlimited.  Centel told me that (unlike the old "Family Plan" in
Illinois Bell's CallPak days, where any residential CallPak could
cover two lines for about 20% more cost than for having it on a single
line) they would not allow auxiliary lines with CallPak Unlimited;
that would allow (for the flat $6.91 per month for an auxiliary line)
unlimited Inner Met calling from both lines.  I would have to get
separate billing and at least CallPak 80 on the other number.  Since I
make enough calls to Barrington (outside the Inner Met area but still
cheaper to dial via Centel than via an IEC), I figured heck, I'll use
up the eighty units by making Outer Met and other intra-LATA calls
from my CallPak 80 line, and if I go over the eighty units, extra
Outer Met units cost the same from either number.

So now I get two bills, sometimes arriving a day apart but usually
coming together.  ANAC (for the few months afterward that I could
still reach it) gave each line's own number and long-distance bills
now show the number of the line I called from, not that that matters
much.  I can still enclose a single check and both bills' payment
coupons in one envelope if I drop the payment off at a Centel night
depository; I hesitate to think what would happen if I tried to mail a
single check to their collection center in Lincoln, though: they'd
probably credit the whole payment to only one number and I'd need to
get the Des Plaines office not only to reallocate the payment but also
to remove the late charges: Lincoln's done that before.

Anyhow, ask the telco; I'm sure they'd prefer combining your bills
just to save on paper, postage, and inserts.  I've told Centel that
they're welcome to stuff my bills into one envelope; unfortunately,
the billing facility in Lincoln isn't sophisticated enough.

David Tamkin  Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  708 518 6769  312 693 0591
MCI Mail: 426-1818  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570   dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com

mikes@gammafax.gammalink.com (mike spann) (10/23/90)

In article <13831@accuvax.nwu.edu> dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David
Tamkin) writes:

>            I hesitate to think what would happen if I tried to mail a
>single check to their collection center in Lincoln, though: they'd
>probably credit the whole payment to only one number and I'd need to
>get the Des Plaines office not only to reallocate the payment but also
>to remove the late charges: Lincoln's done that before.

I pay four separate phone bills mailed to two addresses and with three
different billing names with a single check each month.  The bills
come in two batches, (three on a 969 prefix and one on a 961 prefix)
one week apart.  I have never had Pac Bell incorrectly process my
payment (knock on wood).

Michael Spann      mikes@gammalink.com
Voice: +1-408-744-1430	Fax: +1-408-744-1549
UUCP: ...!uunet!gammafax!mikes    CIS: 73747,441

faunt@cisco.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS 415-688-8269) (10/24/90)

PacBell sends me three bills for three residential lines, same
address, same owner, that all arrive on the same day.  When I had the
third number installed, and asked for combined billing, they told me
it would cost extra, but they did assign me a number in the same
prefix, after first telling me the number would have a different
prefix, in order to get the bills to me on the same day.  They
credited random amounts to different bills several times, and finally
told me to notate the check as to how much went for each bill.  That
seems to have cured the problem.  This is in 415-655.

zellich@stl-07sima.army.mil (Rich Zellich) (10/26/90)

When I moved from a condo in St. Louis to a house out in the 'burbs, I
"transferred" my existing account to a local-only number, and also had
a second line installed in the new location with Metro (toll-free
to/from St. Louis metro-area) service.

Initially, I received three transition bills - one for each of the new
lines, and one for the discontinued service.  The old-service bill was
because the service overlapped for about a week and the turn-off date
Southwestern Bell's computer had was two days after the billing cutoff
period, and they charged me for the entire month.

The three bills were extremely confusing and, during a long
conversation with Customer Service, I was told that I would continue
to get two bills, one for each new number, because they were different
prefixes/one was metro and the two prefixes had different billing
cutoff dates.  I protested this, telling the lady that it seemed wrong
since both prefixes were actually served by the same local plant
(metro or not, the Metro number is still a local prefix), but she
insisted they couldn't do it any other way as long as I had one local
and one Metro line.

So yesterday I get my first "regular" bill for the new location.  Lo
and behold, the credit for a partial month for the old service, the
local, and the Metro numbers are all on the same bill, with separate
detail breakout of each, and a polite little note is enclosed telling
me that my billing cutoff date is changed due to the move to a new CO!
Gee, just the way I thought it should work -- so much for Customer
"Service".

The only thing they still do wrong is that they lump all the charges
for the line into one "service" amount - a total of $28.75 for one
line with Metro service and TouchTone and one line with local-only
service and pulse-dial only.  I really think they should break out
each of the charges so I know I'm getting/paying for the features I
ordered.  I suspect this is done so nobody complains about the
TouchTone charge that would then be thrust under their noses month
after month.  They *do* break out a $1.10 charge that is supposed to
be for "extended area" service; when questioned, CS stated that this
was an extra charge added because they had widened the free-calling
service area for everybody ... but I'm already paying a $7.60 premium
for Metro service on that line myself ... and the "local" number is
*really* local - the most restricted free-calling area I've ever seen.

In arguing for a detail breakout of the basic "service" charge, I have
new experience: one item on the new bill was a credit for dropping the
second phone-book listing in my wife's maiden name.  At one time, we
were entitled to a second listing free, and took advantage of it;
some- where along the line, they started charging *monthly* for it,
and added $1.60/month to the "service" charge lump sum part of the
bill.  If I had known about it, I would have canceled the extra
listing two years ago, when we got married and her name was known to
have changed by one and all.

The above-mentioned $28.75 is another CS screwup.  When I ordered the
service, I was told it was $36.85 (including the $1.10 extended area
charge, which wasn't even mentioned) *plus* the $7 Federal End User
Common Line Charges, which would have added up to $43.85.  It turns
out to be only $28.75, plus $1.10, plus $7, for a *grand total* of
$36.85.

The full breakout turns out to be:

   Line 1 (listed)             -  $ 9.65
   Line 1 Federal End User...  -    3.50
   Line 2 (unlisted)           -    9.65  [no charge for not listing
   Line 2 Metro (wide-area)    -    7.60                       second line]
   Line 2 TouchTone            -    1.85
   Line 2 extended area charge -    1.10
   Line 2 Federal End User...  -    3.50
                                  ------
                                  $36.85
   (plus miscellaneous taxes, of course)

brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) (10/27/90)

I too had problems some years ago with multiple bills that I paid on a
single check until I got into the habit of stapling the bills and
check together and folding them lengthwise.  This causes the whole
package to be rejected by the machine that normally extracts the bill
and check from the envelope, and forces a person to deal with it as a
whole.

I did find that it sometimes took them up to an extra week to credit
the payment.  The returned checks didn't look damaged in any way, so I
don't think the machine jammed (most use suction cups, so staples
don't hurt them anyway).

Since I've moved, Pac Bell have been handling multiple bills and one
check in an envelope much better, so I don't use the staple and fold
trick.  Perhaps they've improved their procedures or equipment.

Brian

jlister@marob.masa.com (John Lister) (10/27/90)

I don't seem to have that problem.  I ordered two phone lines from NJ
Bell when I moved into my house 18 months ago. Two different numbers
on the same exchange, one bill. Even better, the second line was given
at a discount rate precisely BECAUSE they could bill to the same
address. And, it wasn't published, so that I can cheerfully ignore
incoming calls on it, because they have to be from random dialling.

I recently ordered another phone line (decided I wanted two voice +
modem and the builder wired the house with six-pair cable, so what the
hell). Different exchange (from the same building) but still one bill.

John Lister