[comp.dcom.telecom] "Dedicated" Phone Lines

Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Jack Winslade) (10/27/90)

In a message of <19 Oct 90 12:28:28>, Roy Smith writes:

> When I was a kid growing up in New York (1960's) there were
>green boxes on lamp posts containg phones with which you could call
>the police.  You didn't have to dial, just lift the handset.  Anybody
>know exactly what these were?  Leased ring-down lines from NYTel or
>private wires actually owned by the police department?  And where did
>they ring-down to?  The nearest precinct house, or some pre-911
>central location?

I remember those phones well.  The only time I had to use one (back
around 1970 -- and yes, I was quite aware of phone 'nuances' back
then) was when I almost was part of a massive pileup on East River
Drive.  The phone was on a post right in the median, and
coincidentally right outside my car door where I was forced to stop.

I'm sure it was a dedicated circuit.  I remember that by the time I
got the receiver to my ear, it was answered on the other end.  It may
have been answered at the precinct level or district level, since the
guy knew exactly where I was and what I was talking about.  It also
sounded like a very short direct loop.

This was during the time that 911 was being phased in.  At the time,
911 took forever to answer.  I remember a conversation with a cop at
the time who said (off the record, of course) that the 911 system as
it existed then was a big joke.  He said that if it was urgent, call
it in directly or else ring the operator.

There were a lot of things happening with the phone system in NYC at
that time.  As I said, 911 was new and had bugs, there was a massive
effort to convert as many pay phones as possible to dial-tone-first
operation, what they called 'Extended DDD' or zero-plus LD calling was
being introduced, and Touch-Tone service was being introduced,
although very few offices could handle it at the time.  (Do I dare
mention the PicturePhone <tm> fisaco? ;-)

Good Day!       JSW

[1:285/666@fidonet] DRBBS -- Happy 15th., RHPS, Omaha (1:285/666)

 --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org