[comp.dcom.telecom] Can Caller*ID be Heard With an "On Hook" Line Monitor?

slr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Rhoades) (10/26/90)

This question is primarily targeted for those of you with Caller*ID.
Since the FSK Caller*ID data is sent between the first and second
rings, I was wondering if it's possible to actually hear it using a
butt set in the monitor position.  Or for that matter, any kind of
monitor that wouldn't produce and "off hook" condition.

On a related note, can someone point me to the specs on demodulating
this data ?  It's probably in a BSTJ somewhere.  (remember BSTJs ?)

Steve
slr@tybalt.caltech.edu

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (10/27/90)

In article <14044@accuvax.nwu.edu>, slr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve
Rhoades) writes:

> This question is primarily targeted for those of you with Caller*ID.
> Since the FSK Caller*ID data is sent between the first and second
> rings, I was wondering if it's possible to actually hear it using a
> butt set in the monitor position.  Or for that matter, any kind of
> monitor that wouldn't produce and "off hook" condition.

Yes.  Caller*ID, when monitored with a butt-set in on-hook monitor
mode, sounds like a simplex FSK modem (remember the old 202 dataset?)
between the first and second ring.  When NJ Bell shut off the feature
on one of our lines by mistake, I told their craftsperson (who called
and told me that my display unit was at fault) that I was unable to
hear the 'modem-like tone' after the first ring with a butt-set.  He
tried it.  He then believed me.  The service was restored within the
hour.

> On a related note, can someone point me to the specs on demodulating
> this data ?  It's probably in a BSTJ somewhere.  (remember BSTJs ?)

Bellcore Technical Reference TR-TSY-000030: "SPCS Customer Premises
Equipment Data Interface"

This describes the modulation, bit rate, signal levels, and the rest
of the 'physical layer' of the interface.

Bellcore Technical Reference TR-TSY-000031: "CLASS Feature: Calling
Number Delivery"

This describes the message format, coding, and in general, the
application and presentation layers of the interface.

These and other Bellcore documents may be ordered by calling
(908) 699-5802.  (Have a credit card ready!)

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857