[comp.dcom.telecom] MOH Across Hold Resistor

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (10/29/90)

In article <14092@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Andy Jacobson <IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.
edu> writes:

> Would it be possible to simply put a high Z or
> xformer isolated source across it and create your own music on hold
> circuit?

You should use transformer isolation, and that is exactly what the ITT
K-403A music-on-hold card did. It had to be plugged into a k259 panel
(that gave you wrap tails to use as needed, rather than be prewired
for normal card use).  There probably is a FAT cap in there to block
DC fron the xfmr's secondary.  There is 1 input xfmr, and 6 output
ones on the k-403 card.

One normally used it with the k-400E cards that had a jumper option to
put pin 18 to the RING side of the resistor (was 120 ohms on those
cards). That side was the one that got switched. The TIP end of the
resistor was directly connected to TIP, so the MOH xfmr was connected
from pin 14 to pin 18.

Any wire to pin 18 (and 3) was normally for A battery for 401 manual
intercoms or 415s or anything needing quiet 'TALK BATTERY'. If these
were multipled or even connected to A battery and ground, the existing
wires have to be removed first. In the case the 501 KSUs, 18 and 3
were brought out and punched down seperately for each card slot so
there was no problem. On some of the really newer KSUs that used 20
pin connectors, 18, 3, 0, 19 were ALL brought out seperately for
whatever options needed them.

Rather than muck with the KSU, you could instead tack solder a pair of
wires to the ends of the resistor, and bring the wire out to a cheap
connector or something similar for easy servicing.

If you get a k403, here are the connections. Jumper ABC is for input
impedance.  For 500 ohm in, jumper plugs BC, for 8000 ohm, use AB.

output pins for 6 ckts: 1,2/3,4/5,6/13,14/15,16/17,18
input pair pins 7,8
power (filtered A battery) 9=A-bat, 11=A-gnd

It is designed to have at least 45 db isolation between any two lines
connected and getting 'music' (or quiet).

Someone else once made such a unit with one output xfmr with several
windings.  I assume and crostalk isolation was done with pads after
the xfmr.