[comp.dcom.telecom] Two Residential Lines; Different Owners; Same Class of Service

IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.edu (Andy Jacobson) (10/28/90)

When I moved to Yellow Springs, Ohio in 1986, I moved into an
appartment the architect had designed as part of a single family
house.  When I ordered phone service, the Ohio Bell rep (in their
Xenia office) told me that, because the house was in an area zoned for
single family residences, I could only have the class of service that
the other residents of the house had, which was flat rate metro.
Several months later, when 1+ options became available, I was also
told that I could only have the same LD carrier as the other line had.
I wonder if this sort of restriction exists today, or if it was/is
legal.

[Moderator's Note: I think had you taken a copy of your lease to show
them (which would demonstrate that 'the other residents of the house'
had no control over or right of entry into your space; nor you into
theirs) that telco would have been obliged to give you whatever
service you wanted.  PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/30/90)

Andy Jacobson <IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.edu> writes:

> When I ordered phone service, the Ohio Bell rep (in their
> Xenia office) told me that, because the house was in an area zoned for
> single family residences, I could only have the class of service that
> the other residents of the house had, which was flat rate metro.

While I can't speak authoritatively for Ohio, this is probably bogus.
As a general rule, if some rep gives you a line like this you should
check the tariffs yourself or at the very least, walk the
organization.  In Pac*BellLand, there are numerous reps who seem to
make it up as they go along. In my own residence, I have measured and
unmeasured residence service in addition to WATS (a form of business
service) and all in the same Commstar (mini-Centrex) group. From time
to time over the years, various reps have been aghast at this mix of
services, but there is absolutely nothing in the tariffs that prevent
such an arrangement.

Do not be fooled by a rep's insistance. Adamacy does not mean
legality.  If you think you are being given a snow job, ask for a
quote on the tariff. Example: I have had numerous Digest readers write
about unlisted numbers. Reps have repeatedly insisted that the
unlisting charge applies to all unlisted lines and applies even if
there is listed service in the individual's name at the residence. In
this case, the correct policy is given in the Pac*Bell handbook, but
it wasn't until the reps were asked to look it up that the real
procedure was quoted.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !