[comp.dcom.telecom] San Francisco P.D. and 911 Priorities

cramer@uunet.uu.net (Clayton Cramer) (10/07/90)

A local news story yesterday gave a disturbing example of how San
Francisco Police Department sets the priorities on 911 calls.  A young
man leaving a night baseball game at Candlestick Park had car trouble,
and found himself stranded in Hunter's Point.  (This is a high crime
part of San Francisco, for those of you at a safe distance from the
madness of S.F.)  He arranged a tow to a gas station, and started
making arrangements to have someone come and get him.  He was
unsuccessful.

At 1:30 AM, someone called 911 from the gas station payphone to report
that his car was being broken into.  In the middle of the phone call,
the 911 operator heard a scuffle of some sort, and then the phone was
hung up.  Deciding that this was just a car burglary, the report was
not considered an "A" priority call, and so it was one and a half
hours before the police responded to it -- by which time the man and
the car were gone.

The father of the young man found the remains of his son, and the
remains of the car, about four days later, while searching the area
himself.

Is there any sort of model for how 911 calls are to be prioritized?
Wouldn't a scuffle in the middle of a call be reason to suspect that
someone was being hurt?  Or am I just dense?

Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
You must be kidding!  No company would hold opinions like mine!

john@karnak.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.) (10/08/90)

In article <13070@accuvax.nwu.edu> optilink!cramer@uunet.uu.net
(Clayton Cramer) writes:

>Is there any sort of model for how 911 calls are to be prioritized?
>Wouldn't a scuffle in the middle of a call be reason to suspect that
>someone was being hurt?  Or am I just dense?

I watch Rescue 911 quite a bit and get the opinion that 911 service is
great.  This is very disturbing that these operators don't even take
the time to found out what exactly is going on.  If I were an
operator, and the phone hung up on me, I would take this as an
emergency and get someone there immediately.  I hope I don't get in
any kind of trouble in SF where I would need 911 (I don't have any
plans to go to SF in the near future anyway, but just suppose I did
:-) because I think I would be in serious trouble.

I doubt SF has a model for prioritizing.  Something out of the
ordinary going on during a call (shots fired, scuffle, scream, etc.)
should definitely clue a 911 operator that something isn't right.
But, I guess SF probably goes on a FIFO (first in, first out) basis
:-) (just joking :-)).  SF should definitely change their 911 system
so that they don't get any more of these instances.

John B. Meaders, Jr.  510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA 23806
Voice: 804-458-2983   Net: john@karnak.cactus.org or john@karnak

[Moderator's Note: Given my 'druthers, with Chicago and its relatively
efficient 911 system and San Fransisco, with the highly publicized
mistake by 911 dispatchers, I think I'd still rather be in SFC.  PAT]

mpay@pacbell.com (Mike Payer) (10/10/90)

(Clayton Cramer) writes:

>A local news story yesterday gave a disturbing example of how San
>Francisco Police Department sets the priorities on 911 calls.  A young

Clayton,

I do a lot of work interfacing with law enforcement on 911 type calls.
And I can tell you for a fact that when a call comes in from a coin
phone the response of the dispatch centers in many cases is "Oh a coin
phone, oh well".

As a result of this I have told my family and friends that if they are
at pay phone they would be much better off dialing "0" and just
screaming for help. The operator will have the number you called from
and the law enforcement people seem to take these call more seriously.

This may sound strange but it seems to be the way it works.

I believe part of the problem is the high amount of prank called by
teenagers to 911 on coin telephones. It's not unusual to see someone
work their way from one end of town to the other dialing 911 on pay
phones.

Don't construe this as an excuse for the S.F.P.D. it's not. It's just
the way the system works.

Michael S Payer Jr
Administrator              FAX 415-867-0344
Emergency Control Center   pacbell!pbecc!msp   pacbell!pbhya!mpay

djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) (10/11/90)

One technology which has been experimented with to solve the pay phone
false alarm problem is a fire alarm kiosk which a user has to enter
and close the door.  The door latches and stays locked until a fire or
police person responds to the call and let's the citizen out.  There
are a ton of obvious disadvantages having to do with civil liberty,
etc.  One benefit is for folks being attacked by muggers.  They can
pop into a kiosk and hang out till help comes.  If memory serves, the
kiosks were tried in a large NE city about four or five years ago.

Davie Brightbill

yarvin-norman@cs.yale.edu (Norman Yarvin) (10/13/90)

djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) writes:

>The door latches and stays locked until a fire or
>police person responds to the call and lets the citizen out.

So if the call to the fire department is for real, the caller gets
roasted while waiting, and if it's a false alarm, the vandal must
destroy the booth on his way out.

>One benefit is for folks being attacked by muggers.  They can
>pop into a kiosk and hang out till help comes.

A very low percentage of muggings occur within a few feet of a phone
booth.  For those that do, a simple door latch would work as well.

cramer@uunet.uu.net (Clayton Cramer) (10/14/90)

In article <13278@accuvax.nwu.edu>, djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David
Brightbill) writes:

> One technology which has been experimented with to solve the pay phone
> false alarm problem is a fire alarm kiosk which a user has to enter
> and close the door.  The door latches and stays locked until a fire or
> police person responds to the call and let's the citizen out.  There
> are a ton of obvious disadvantages having to do with civil liberty,
> etc.  One benefit is for folks being attacked by muggers.  They can
> pop into a kiosk and hang out till help comes.  If memory serves, the
> kiosks were tried in a large NE city about four or five years ago.

I'm told that Citibank Automated Teller Machines had such an arrangement
at one time in NYC, for the obvious reason that ATMs attract thieves.
However, telephone booths are not made of bulletproof glass -- and if
I were calling the police to report a major felony in progress, I
would want at least that minimal level of protection.  Of course,
there's always gasoline and a match, which may make even bulletproof
glass rather irrelevant.

ch@dce.ie (Charles Bryant) (10/31/90)

djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) writes:

>The door latches and stays locked until a fire or
>police person responds to the call and lets the citizen out.

And what if the phone has been vandalized so the citizen can't call
the emergency services? Is it just a totally stupid design or are
there further safeguards (like it is constantly on line to the police
who go out if the line is interrupted)?

Charles Bryant (ch@dce.ie)