[comp.dcom.telecom] FAX Paper Ordering

jens@corp.mot.com (Jens von der Heide) (10/31/90)

	This is sort of a silly question, but, when sending documents
via FAX, should they be sent in order, or in reverse order (EG: First
page first VS First page last) ?

	Is this addressed in the CCITT standards ?

jens@corp.mot.com		Voice: (708) 576-3312
				 UUCP: uunet!motcid!jens

[Moderator's Note: I assume your thinking is when the paper falls out
of the machine into the collection tray on the other end they will
wind up in order with the first page on top if you send them
backwards.  PAT]

ehr@uncecs.edu (Ernest H. Robl) (11/01/90)

In article <14184@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jens@corp.mot.com (Jens von der
Heide) writes:

> 	This is sort of a silly question, but, when sending documents
> via FAX, should they be sent in order, or in reverse order (EG: First
> page first VS First page last) ?

> 	Is this addressed in the CCITT standards ?

I don't know about standards, but there are a couple of things to
consider:

(1) Some cheap FAX machines -- like mine at home -- do not provide
automatic paper cutting.  Instead the machine simply prints a line
between pages.  Pages are printed continuously in the order received.

(2)  Some fax machines (most?) automatically print a page number at
the top of each page.  I'm not sure whether this is done on the
sending or receiving end.

Based on the above considerations, I would ALWAYS load the paper in
such a way that the first page is sent first and the last page last.
(Some machines want pages loaded face up, or face down, and they may
feed off the top or bottom of the stack.  You mileage may vary :-)

For machines which cut pages and stack them in reverse order, sorting
should be a trivial task.

Ernest

"My other computer is a Nikon N8008." -- Ernest H. Robl
Ernest H. Robl (ehr@ecsvax)  Durham, NC, USA  (919) 286-3845