[net.news.group] net/micro/6809 - a bug

psc@lzaz.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (01/09/86)

< Oxygen is for people who can't take New Jersey >

Just before Christmas, I was in net/micro in the spool directory, and
noticed that with the articles (e.g., 3045), there was a directory
called 6809.  I was concerned that, after our site got the article
locally numbered 6808, a non-designed behavior (!) would occur, and
we'd lose an article at the very least.  I WAS *WRONG*.  The following
is a summary of some of the replies that I got; thanks to all of you.
--
To: lzaz!psc
Subject: Re: $spool/net/micro/6809 - a bug waiting to happen
Newsgroups: net.news.group
>From rayssd!dhb  Fri Dec 27 18:31:57 1985 remote from allegra
Why do you consider it a bug?  Just because we will loose one
potential article number at some future date?  All of the current
news software recognizes that this situation could occur and
handles it properly.  If you are really and truly concerned about
this I would suggest the following: take all components of the
newsgroup name and prepend some character which is not legal in
an article number (my suggestion is either '$' or '%').  This has
two benifits: it is now impossible for a newsgroup (directory)
name to conflict with an article name and when you do an 'ls' in the
directory it prints all the subdirectories first.  This would
actually be very easy to implement since all newsgroup names are
passed to a subroutine for conversion to the proper directory name.
If you wanted to you could even use a period as the character to
prepend, then when you did the 'ls' all you would see are the articles.
	Dave Brierley; Raytheon Co.; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x4073
	{allegra, linus, ccice5} !rayssd!dhb
From: ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!brian (Brian Kantor)
You won't lose the article.  The news system won't overwrite existing
files, but instead just advances the article counter by one.  It also
knows the difference between a directory and a plain file.

You do realize that the article numbers are assigned on your own system
when the article arrives, don't you?  That they're not global?  And that
in all likelyhood, not the same as the ones that your neighbor has for
his articles?  And that therefore it doesn't matter if the numbers are
disjoint?

The news software sources are public domain.  You could poke through
them and see how this is handled.  Its not a stupid piece of software.
This matter has come up before.  Net.micro.432 comes to mind.
Brian Kantor	UC San Diego
	decvax\ 	brian@ucsd.arpa
	ihnp4  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc
--
In article <446@lzaz.UUCP> you write:
>Clearly, when we get about four thousand more articles, we're gonna lose
>the one between 6808 and 6810.  Not good.  (I assume inews isn't smart
>enough to skip 6809 and store that article in 6810.)

Nope.  Inews *is* smart enough to try storing the article at 6809, realize
that it couldn't, and skip ahead and store the article at 6810.
	Roger L. Long, FileNet Corp, {hplabs,trwrb}!felix!bytebug
--
>From utzoo!lsuc!msb  Sat Dec 28 19:42:45 1985 remote from ihnp4
> ...  (I assume inews isn't smart
> enough to skip 6809 and store that article in 6810.)
You assume wrong.
Actually, I don't have personal experience with this, but it was
discussed on the net long ago.  Mark Brader
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm, ihnp4!lznv!psc or {pegasus,ihnp4}!lzaz!psc
       The above opinions might not be shared by any telcomm company.