[comp.dcom.telecom] Alternate Telephone Service

rakoczynskij@ncar.ucar.edu (Jurek Rakoczynski) (10/23/90)

Can anyone summarize the status of 'Alternate Telephone Service
supplier'.  I can only remember about some larger city (NY?) where a
(cable co.?) was installing (fiber optics?) to the homes and was
planning to provide alternate phone service in competion with the
local telco. This was in addition to other services available on the
fiber.  I don't remember where I read this, but I am not confusing
this with just running fiber to the homes, like in California.  I
remember the term 'Alternate Telephone Service' or something like
that.

ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper) (10/25/90)

asuvax!rako!rakoczynskij@ncar.ucar.edu (Jurek Rakoczynski) writes:

> Can anyone summarize the status of 'Alternate Telephone Service
> supplier'.  I can only remember about some larger city (NY?) where a
> (cable co.?) was installing (fiber optics?) to the homes and was
> planning to provide alternate phone service in competion with the
> local telco. This was in addition to other services available on the
> fiber.  I don't remember where I read this, but I am not confusing
> this with just running fiber to the homes, like in California.  I
> remember the term 'Alternate Telephone Service' or something like
> that.

I recall reading the other day that a firm (in NYC I believe) recently
began work on a fiber net to connect major buildings in Manhattan for
bypass purposes.  This venture was NOT intended to provide residential
service (except perhaps to some big residential buildings on an
incidental basis).  I don't believe that exchange service was the
objective, it was more designed to provide inter-exchange services via
T-1's etc to the various LD carriers.

Ed Hopper

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (10/27/90)

In article <13970@accuvax.nwu.edu>, asuvax!rako!rakoczynskij@
ncar.ucar.edu (Jurek Rakoczynski) writes:

> Can anyone summarize the status of 'Alternate Telephone Service
> supplier'.  I can only remember about some larger city (NY?) where a
> (cable co.?) was installing (fiber optics?) to the homes and was

I never heard about alternate sources of dialtone to homes, but in NYC
the Teleport Communications folks (made up I believe of Merrill Lynch
and PATH - Port Authority Trans Hudson Corp - the NY/NJ docks,
airports, one of the subways, etc company) have a #5 ESS. Merrill
Lynch bought it as a PBX but only have a piddling 13000 lines on it,
so their partner in this took it over and they are selling local
dialtone to potentially anyone they sell fiber bypass to.  They have
filed to be allowed to do it in CA, too.

This is just what the local phone companies dread, but so sorely
deserve.

If they would only do it here in Boston in the other NYNEX
territory.

johnw@uunet.uu.net (John Wheeler) (11/01/90)

asuvax!rako!rakoczynskij@ncar.ucar.edu (Jurek Rakoczynski) writes:

>Can anyone summarize the status of 'Alternate Telephone Service
>supplier'.  I can only remember about some larger city (NY?) where a
>(cable co.?) was installing (fiber optics?) to the homes and was
>planning to provide alternate phone service in competion with the
>local telco. This was in addition to other services available on the
>fiber.  I don't remember where I read this, but I am not confusing
>this with just running fiber to the homes, like in California.  I
>remember the term 'Alternate Telephone Service' or something like
>that.

I was a subscriber to an 'Alternate Telephone Service' of sorts while
I lived in Atlanta, for several years. An Atlanta company (now out of
business) named StarTouch installed switches at several apartment
complexes around town.

They were working on - well, I guess a lot of loopholes. They got
their trunks from Southern Bell and did their own billing, (sooner or
later you got a bill, of sorts), they had an agreement with what was
SouthernNet (now part of Telecom*USA?) to provide exclusive LD
service. You had no choice of carriers, but they undercut the Southern
Bell rate for equivalent service by 25% or so. By default, you got
three-way, forwarding, call waiting, voice mail with message light
(they provided hotel-type phones), personal speed dialing, and
pre-programmed system speed dialing of several hundred businesses.

The complex management even used the voice mail system to mass-mail
messages to the tenants.  The switch was made by - I believe - Solid
State of Kennesaw, GA, and, worked fine 90% of the time. The problems?
Well, there were occasionally not enough local trunks, or not enough
LD trunks, or the system that sent the billing code to the LD carrier
wasn't working, or the building power would go off and the UPS would
run dry and the system go dead, or the software would glitch, and
there was a certain trunk that ALWAYS sounded horrible.  But, usually,
it worked fine. They closed business about a year ago.  Good idea,
but....

John Wheeler