[comp.dcom.telecom] Telemarketers: Saying No is Easy

gillett@ceomax.enet.dec.com (Christopher Gillett) (10/29/90)

In article <13998@accuvax.nwu.edu> dpletche@jarthur.claremont.edu
writes:

>When the phone rings, I assume it is because someone has something
>marginally important, or at least interesting, to say; thus I drop
>what I am doing to answer the phone.  That is why I do not appreciate
>being interrupted by junk phone calls.

When I relocated to the east coast last year, NET (New England Telco)
sent me a letter with business reply mail postcard shortly after
switching on my service.  This letter said something to the effect of,
"if you don't want telemarketers contacting you, fill this out and
they'll leave you alone".  So, I supplied the requested information,
signed the card, and sent it in.  End of 90% of the telemarketer woes.

My assumption is that they have removed my name and telephone number
from a list that they sell to telemarketing outfits.  Maybe they do
some sort of blocking out here (doubtful), but whatever they've done,
I simply do not get telemarketer phone calls.

During the first year of having service, I've gotten exactly two
calls, one from one of the Boston daily papers, and one from a
recording.  I no longer get calls from all over the country from
people selling magazines, books, (hint: tell them you're blind :-)),
and other goodies.  I don't get calls from boilerrooms trying to jam
securities and other junk down my throat.  When the phone rings, it's
friends, family, or business ... exactly the way it should be.

So, my point is this: if your telco offers not to distribute your
name, then absolutely sign up.  This provides no protection from an
automated dialer that calls every number in an exchange looking for
people, but it can significantly reduce the number of junk calls you
receive.  And if you do happen to receive a call, just say "no
thank you", and if they don't hang up, then you should.  I have no
problem saying "no thank you, have a pleasant day", and then hanging
up.

What's interesting, of course, is that I get many more junk calls at
my office number than at home.  Even with the phone from home
forwarded (I always ask what number they've dialed).  Hmmm.

Christopher Gillett               gillett@ceomax.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation
Hudson, Taxachusetts              (508) 568-7172
Semiconductor Engineering Group/Logic Simulation Group
Disclaimer: Ken Olsen speaks for Digital...I speak for me!

judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com (Peripheral Visionary 29-Oct-1990 1024) (10/29/90)

A friend of a friend has a part time job with a telemarketer,
specifically selling subscriptions to a local newspaper. If you really
don't want to just be polite and say no, and you have a tremendous
hankering to be devious, just say "I already receive the Mudtown
Evening Star!". The person at the other end of the line has no idea
whether you're telling the truth or not, but is not going to debate
with you and will instantly leave you alone.

BTW, I especially enjoy the automated callers, since you can take out
lots of fruststration by blasting touchtones or getting your cats to
talk into the handset, etc when they record your "name", etc.!   :)

lou

george@wciu.edu (George Peavy) (10/30/90)

In article <14115@accuvax.nwu.edu> Christopher Gillett <gillett@
ceomax.enet.dec.com> writes:

>My assumption is that they have removed my name and telephone number
>from a list that they sell to telemarketing outfits.  Maybe they do
>some sort of blocking out here (doubtful), but whatever they've done,
>I simply do not get telemarketer phone calls.

[stuff deleted.....]

>So, my point is this: if your telco offers not to distribute your
>name, then absolutely sign up.  This provides no protection from an
>automated dialer that calls every number in an exchange looking for
>people, but it can significantly reduce the number of junk calls you
>receive.  And if you do happen to receive a call, just say "no
>thank you", and if they don't hang up, then you should.  I have no
>problem saying "no thank you, have a pleasant day", and then hanging
>up.

I don't know how New England Telephone does it, but in the front of a
Pacific Bell Directory, under the section marked "Doing Business with
Us", it notes that in metropolitan areas, there is such a thing as a
directory listing phone numbers by addresses for "people who may wish
to reach you, but don't know your name".

(aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!).  It also notes that you can request to
be not listed in this directory.  I don't remember if they charge you
for it or not.

George Peavy

(george@wciu.edu)

[Moderator's Note: They are just talking about a routine criss-cross
directory. The ones from Donnelly Directory, by virtue of being part
of the telco empire, only list what the alpha books list, in telephone
number order. If you are otherwise non-pub, you won't be in those. The
ones from Haynes, R.L. Polk, Dresser's and City Publishing Co. include
everything they can find, and your request to them means nothing. They
even include what non-pub numbers they can find from other sources.
PAT]

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (10/30/90)

]NET (New England Telco) sent me a letter with business reply mail
]postcard shortly after switching on my service.  This letter said
]something to the effect of, "if you don't want telemarketers contacting
]you, fill this out and they'll leave you alone".

Southern Bell *CHARGES* you for this privilege! Not just ONCE, but
monthly. I suspect they then can complain to the PSC that no one uses
the service.

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (11/01/90)

Washington State has a law against telemarketer intrusions.  It's not
ironclad by any means, but it certainly has resulted in my getting
lots fewer telemarketing calls since moving from California, which has
no law in this regard.

Bob Jacobson
Seattle