[comp.dcom.telecom] Sports Stadium Use of a "Dedicated" Phone

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (10/17/90)

Would it be possible for a baseball dugout to have phones connecting
only to, say, the bullpen?  (That is, take the phone off the hook and
it automatically rings that other location, such as you might see in
an airport for a car-rental company.)

[Moderator's Note: Yes, it would be possible. I see a lot of ring-down
lines in offices. Amoco Sales Authorization in Des Moines, IA has such
a phone which when taken off hook rings on a desk at Diner's Sales
Authorization in Denver, CO. and vice-versa. They use it to verify
Torch Club cardholder charges at Diner's establishments and Diner's
card holder charges at Amoco stations. But a ring-down line, like an
FX line, is an overkill unless you keep it loaded at all times and can
justify the savings over DDD, which is hard these days. From a dugout
to a bullpen would be such an overkill when the already-in-place PBX
connects them anyway with three digit dialing, no?  PAT]

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (10/19/90)

In <13758@accuvax.nwu.edu> Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil>
writes:

>Would it be possible for a baseball dugout to have phones connecting
>only to, say, the bullpen?  (That is, take the phone off the hook and
>it automatically rings that other location, such as you might see in
>an airport for a car-rental company.)

>[Moderator's Note: Yes, it would be possible. I see a lot of ring-down
>lines in offices ... But a ring-down line, like an
>FX line, is an overkill unless you keep it loaded at all times and can
>justify the savings over DDD, which is hard these days. From a dugout
>to a bullpen would be such an overkill when the already-in-place PBX
>connects them anyway with three digit dialing, no?  PAT]

Isn't there an "in-between" alternative, where the instrument appears
to be dedicated ring-down service, but in reality places the call when
the customer goes off-hook?  I remember this in the Autovon world of
several years ago.  The call went out with a preprogrammed precedence
levl high enough to guarantee success in well over 90% of the
situations, yet avoided tying up the circuits during the idle time.
The advantage to the user was that, in the heat of the momenet, there
was no need to misdial any numbers.

What I'm not sure about is whether such a service is tariffed anywhere
today, or why one wouldn't use a "smart phone" to dial on its own.
Particularly if the stadium had a reasonably modern PBX with an
executive override function, there would be no problem with busy
signals.  Any comments?

riddle@hoss.unl.edu   riddle@crchpux.unl.edu
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org
Sysop on 1:285/27 @ Fidonet

[Moderator's Note: Bell used to offer something called a 'one number
dialer' which was a phone without a dial on the front of it, and a
special box on the wall where the phone plugged in. The box had
something in it which when the phone went off hook would dial the
desired number as programmed in the box.  PAT]

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/19/90)

> a ring-down line, like an FX line, is an overkill unless you keep it
> loaded at all times and can justify the savings over DDD

	When I was a kid growing up in New York (1960's) there were
green boxes on lamp posts containg phones with which you could call
the police.  You didn't have to dial, just lift the handset.  Anybody
know exactly what these were?  Leased ring-down lines from NYTel or
private wires actually owned by the police department?  And where did
they ring-down to?  The nearest precinct house, or some pre-911
central location?

	On another topic, I notice everbody using the term "slamming"
to refer to unauthorized changing of default long distance carrier.
Is that a standard term, or is it just TELECOM Digest vernacular?

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy

[Moderator's Note: We had some of those here also, along with the
non-speaking kind where you simply pulled down on a little lever
inside the box. You'd hear it start 'whirring' inside as it sent a
pre-programmed code to the nearest police/fire station.  They were
supplied by the local telco.  PAT]

slr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Rhoades) (10/20/90)

In article <13758@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>Would it be possible for a baseball dugout to have phones connecting
>only to, say, the bullpen?  (That is, take the phone off the hook and
>it automatically rings that other location, such as you might see in
>an airport for a car-rental company.)

I work for the Los Angeles Coliseum on weekends and we have a phone in
the video control center labeled "Raider Hotline".  Basically, it's a
ringdown from Raider management to us.  It has a strange ring - It's
one, long, continuous ring until we answer.  It rarely ever rings but
when it does, we jump :-).

On a related note, Pac*Bell here in California offers a service called
Direct*Connection.  You lift the receiver of the calling phone and it
places a call to whomever is pre-programmed.  The phone instrument is
normal - It's a class of service set up in the CO.  They are starting
to replace the system used by our emergency highway call boxes with
this system. (rings down to the highway patrol) They're also being
used as emergency phones in elevators.

Internet: slr@tybalt.caltech.edu  |  Voice-mail: (818) 794-6004
UUCP: ...elroy!tybalt!slr         |  USmail: Box 1000, Mt. Wilson, Ca.  91023

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (10/20/90)

Most PBX's do hotline in software, and some even allow incoming calls
normally but lifting the receiver hotlines to a predetermined DN.  If
you're only going to call the bull pen then why bother dialing?

Vance

[Moderator's Note: The only reason you would 'bother dialing' is
because you might want to instead call upstairs to the VIP Suite to
talk to your wife who was sitting there watching the game instead of
calling the bull-pen. One number dialing makes a phone too restrictive
and should only be used when the phone needs definite security against
misuse.  PAT]

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (10/23/90)

In article <13822@accuvax.nwu.edu>, riddle@hoss.unl.edu
(Michael H. Riddle) writes:

>Isn't there an "in-between" alternative, where the instrument appears
>to be dedicated ring-down service, but in reality places the call when
>the customer goes off-hook?

New York Telephone provides exactly this service for the New York
Stock Exchange.  If I remember correctly, it's called a Virtual
Dedicated Circuit, or something of that sort.  It's essentially:

	1) a special bit of programming in the CO such that the switch
will automatically complete the call rather than extending dial tone, plus

	2) some kind of tariff arrangement whereby if the call doesn't
complete at least n% of the time you get your money back, where n% is
tuneable but large.

You pick up the instrument and wait about 2-4 sec, then hear ringing
tone.  The receiving line can be a POTS line in principle, although
it's more typical for it to be another line of the same kind so that
either end can call the other just by picking up.  I suppose
asymmetric solutions might be useful in other contexts.

In article <13823@accuvax.nwu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith)
writes:

>	When I was a kid growing up in New York (1960's) there were
>green boxes on lamp posts containg phones with which you could call
>the police.  You didn't have to dial, just lift the handset.  Anybody
>know exactly what these were?  Leased ring-down lines from NYTel or
>private wires actually owned by the police department?  And where did
>they ring-down to?  The nearest precinct house, or some pre-911
>central location?

I don't know where they went then, but as of now they ring the same
place 911 does.  However, they are a lousy system.  Essentially, they
are multidrop single circuits, and your call has to wait until all
other calls on your particular circuit (potentially a lot of boxes)
clear.  The word from an acquaintance of mine, a former 911 operator,
is "Avoid them.  They take longer to get through and they have lower
priority because of the high frequency of bogus calls -- take the time
to find a payphone" For the non-New Yorker, payphones are very common
here, both utility and COCOT; there is close to one per corner even in
nlow-rent neighborhoods.

cowan@marob.masa.com	(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)

ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper) (10/25/90)

(Michael H. Riddle) writes:

>Isn't there an "in-between" alternative, where the instrument appears
>to be dedicated ring-down service, but in reality places the call when
>the customer goes off-hook?

Absolutely, I remember one feature in the AT&T Dimension PBX called "Hot
Line Service".  With that, one translated two extensions to ring each
other when they went off hook.  They still connected to the PBX and
didn't require auxiliary ringdown equipment like one might have
implementing ringdown with 1A2 key equipment.  One quick translation
change and you were back to normal extensions (assuming you had the
Customer Admin Panel, which most sites didn't in the 70's & early 80's).
I don't know if Hot Line Service was carried over into the System
85/75/Definity world, I stopped doing dialtone in 1983.

Ed Hopper
AT&T Computer Systems

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/02/90)

In article <13758@accuvax.nwu.edu> Carl Moore writes:

>Would it be possible for a baseball dugout to have phones connecting
>only to, say, the bullpen?

>From a dugout to a bullpen would be such an overkill when the
>already-in-place PBX connects them anyway with three digit dialing, no?  PAT]

Most PBXes make it easy to make any extension a ring-down.  You set
the extension to call, generally the same way that you set any
forwarding target, and set a status bit to make the extension a
ring-down.  Assuming you have a free port on the PBX, there's no real
cost beyond wiring up the phone.

I could imagine that a non-technophilic manager would like to have a
few phones in the dugout on which he could just pick up and start
talking.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!esegue!johnl