[comp.dcom.telecom] IEEE Spectrum Article on 'Blue Boxes'

eddy@jafus.mi.org (Eddy J. Gurney) (10/31/90)

Since a few weeks ago (or was it a few months? :-) there was a
discussion about the Ramparts article on how to make your own "black
box", I thought everyone on the net might be interested to know that
in the latest issue of IEEE Spectrum (November, 1990), on pages
117-119, there's an interesting article entitled "The Great Blue Box
Phone Frauds", subtitled "Until the phone company separated signaling
information from the voice signal, long-distance calls could be made
without charge by anyone who could whistle at 2600 hertz."

It even has the illustration from the June 1972 "Ramparts" magazine,
showing how to constuct a "black box" to prevent the calling party
from being billed for the call.

There's also a list of about five or six other references at the end
of the article which sound interesting.

I'd type in the article, but it's a full three pages long. :-) If
someone with a scanner wants to do it, be my guest.  (I'm not sure
what the IEEE's policy on redistribution is, I couldn't find anything
in the TOC...)

For what it's worth,

         Eddy J. Gurney  N8FPW         THE ECCENTRICITY GROUP
eddy@jafus.mi.org    gurney@frith.egr.msu.edu    17158EJG@MSU.BITNET
   (Preferred)        (If your mail bounces)     (If you HAVE to :-)

friedl@mtndew.tustin.ca.us (Stephen Friedl) (11/02/90)

Eddy Gurney writes:

> "Until the phone company separated signaling
> information from the voice signal, long-distance calls could be made
> without charge by anyone who could whistle at 2600 hertz."

A couple of questions about this.  First, was the moving signalling
info out of the voice channel done solely to prevent fraud?  Second,
how big a job was this to redesign the phone system for it (my guess
is that it was a Very Big Deal) ?

Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / I speak for me only / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl