[comp.dcom.telecom] Anti-Slamming Regulations

JKOSS00@ricevm1.rice.edu (Jordan Kossack) (10/26/90)

In article <13795@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Patrick writes:

- [Moderator's Note: Except some legal beagles contend that by lifting
- the phone receiver and dialing the desired digits you were in fact
- requesting or soliciting the service. By failing to dial the 10xxx
- code on the front, you are requesting the service from the 'default'
- carrier, which might not be the carrier you want. To insure you get
- the one you want, you can always dial 10xxx. So, the legal beagles say
- you can sue the carrier who wrongfully took over the default on your
- line, but they in turn can sue you for not paying for the calls they
- handled for you.  I guess it washes out.   PAT]

     I wonder if anyone has tried to sue and if so, whether they won
the case.  I suppose the best course of action would be to:

1)  Pay the bill but write "Paid under protest" or something similar
     on the check so they couldn't use the fact that you paid the bill
     as 'evidence' that you want their 'service'.

2)  Sue the long distance carrier for the amount of the bill as well
     the cost of returning to your chosen carrier.  In addition, sue
     for an even $1000 in punitive damages.  This should keep the $$$
     low enough that one can sue in small claims court, which means
     that you don't need a lawyer, although legal counsel IS useful
     at times.  Heck, even if you lose the case, the revenge value of
     dragging them into court may be worth the effort.  The real trick
     would to get an injunction to prevent them from providing your
     residence(s) with long distance service at ANY time in the future
     without your express written permission, although I guess THAT is
     too much to expect, right?  ;-)

 jkoss00@ricevm1.rice.edu  |  Jordan Kossack  |  +1 713 799 2950  |  n5qvi

chris@com50.c2s.mn.org (Chris Johnson) (11/01/90)

Does anyone have an address, or a contact where I could get the
address, of someone at AT&T who might be interested in seeing evidence
of repeated slamming of its customers by MCI?  I thought I read in the
news that AT&T was suing MCI for that specific reason in court.

MCI has slammed me twice, the second time against my specific
instructions to leave my service exactly as it was and not to touch or
change anything.  I'm writing to the FCC and others about it, but I
thought AT&T might be interested since it's they who have lost revenue
from a paying customer (me) in both cases.

   ...Chris Johnson          chris@c2s.mn.org   ..uunet!bungia!com50!chris
 Com Squared Systems, Inc.   St. Paul, MN USA   +1 612 452 9522

ch@dce.ie (Charles Bryant) (11/03/90)

In article <13795@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Patrick writes:

> [Moderator's Note: Except some legal beagles contend that by lifting
> the phone receiver and dialing the desired digits you were in fact
> requesting or soliciting the service. By failing to dial the 10xxx
> code on the front, you are requesting the service from the 'default'
> carrier, which might not be the carrier you want.

I don't see how anyone can claim that I owe them for service which
they provided without my consent. It is up to the service provider to
get my consent - not up to me to actively deny it.

Charles Bryant
ch@dce.ie

[Moderator's Note: But their service is providing long distance
connections between telephones. They did not provide this service by
connecting your telephone with another telephone until you 'asked'
them to do so by going off-hook and dialing a number. You'll not find
a single charge from the long distance company on your bill until you
actively request their service by dialing a number. A local telco
service charge, yes -- a long distance call charge, no.  Let the
lesson be this: ALWAYS verify that your carrier of choice is the
default carrier by checking with 1-700-555-4141 once a month or so.  PAT]