[comp.dcom.telecom] Strange "Calls To" on My Last Bill

jyoull@cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Youll) (10/01/90)

My last phone bill listed long distance calls to Cleveland, etc.
but also showed calls to :
   WASZ 2   MD
   PHSZ 43  PA

These calls were handled by an aggregator. Any idea why the funny
destination names, and what they mean?

Thanks...

Jim

de@cs.rit.edu (Dave Esan) (11/03/90)

In article <12858@accuvax.nwu.edu> bgsuvax!jyoull@cis.ohio-state.edu
(Jim Youll) writes:

>My last phone bill listed long distance calls to Cleveland, etc.
>but also showed calls to :
>   WASZ 2   MD
>   PHSZ 43  PA
>These calls were handled by an aggregator. Any idea why the funny
>destination names, and what they mean?

I suspect that the aggregator is using a product from my company, or
from a similar company to bill his calls.  Let me briefly explain how
these names are used.

We acquire our V&H data (that is the vertical and horizontal
coordinates for each area code-exchange combination) from BellCore.
They define a name for each NPA/NXX.  However, that name is not always
descriptive of the location.  New York City is a large place, and does
not accurately describe where the call went.  Furthermore, most major
cities have zoned local calling, that is making a call is not a flat
rate, but rather costs differently for each zone that you call to.

We are forced then to create our own V&H coordinates for cities that
are zoned and that BellCore does not believe is zoned, or even for
cities like Chicago (the Moderator's town), which has more zones than
BellCore admits exists.  To differentiate between zones, we give them
the number or names that the local telephone company does.  Thus NYCZ
1 is New York City Zone 1, WASZ 2 is Washington Suburban Zone 2, and
PHSZ 43 is Philadelphia Suburban Zone 43.  They do match the local
tariff, and probably make sense to a person in that town.  A place
like Chicago may include CHCZ 1 (Chicago City Zone 1) and wonderful
town names like SKOKIE (which may or may not really be SKOKIE, but is
rather the zone that Illinois Bell says is Skokie.)

David Esan      de@moscom.com