[comp.dcom.telecom] Why Did You Choose Your LD Carrier?

mao@postgres.berkeley.edu (Mike Olson) (11/01/90)

I heard an amusing anecdote at lunch the other day from the principal,
who'll remain nameless since it doesn't matter very much...

A well-known Unix researcher here at UC Berkeley recently switched
from AT&T to MCI.  He got a telephone call from AT&T telemarketing
types soon afterwards.  They wanted to know why he had switched.  His
answer: "You charge too much for Unix."

Who knows ... If everyone who switches carriers tells them that, we
may drop the price within the reach of individuals.

Mike Olson, UC Berkeley, mao@postgres.Berkeley.EDU

dmr@research.att.com (11/02/90)

Mike Olson writes,

>A well-known Unix researcher here at UC Berkeley recently switched
>from AT&T to MCI.

There aren't so many of them left.  Next time I'm in town I'll wangle
a dinner invitation or so and slam him back personally while
pretending to visit the lab.

Dennis Ritchie
dmr@research.att.com

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (11/02/90)

In article <14224@accuvax.nwu.edu>, mao@postgres.berkeley.edu (Mike
Olson) writes:

> A well-known Unix researcher here at UC Berkeley recently switched
> from AT&T to MCI.  He got a telephone call from AT&T telemarketing
> types soon afterwards.  They wanted to know why he had switched.  His
> answer: "You charge too much for Unix."

When I switched my residential default carrier from AT&T to US Sprint
last winter, it was for political reasons.  When the AT&T marketers
called and asked why, I told them that it was due to the decision by
the AT&T Foundation to end its grants to Planned Parenthood.

> Who knows ... If everyone who switches carriers tells them that, we
> may drop the price within the reach of individuals.

Let's cast our ballots -- our equal-access ballots may speak as loudly
on specific issues as the ballots we cast next Tuesday!

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857

[Moderator's Note: I agree absolutely. For whatever reason you decide
to sign up with a carrier or drop another carrier, be certain to let
the proper people know. Email and the access 'ballot' are powerful
tools.  PAT]

bowles@stsci.edu (Richard Bowles) (11/04/90)

dmr@research.att.com writes:

>Mike Olson writes,

>>A well-known Unix researcher here at UC Berkeley recently switched
>>from AT&T to MCI.

>There aren't so many of them left.  Next time I'm in town I'll wangle
>a dinner invitation or so and slam him back personally while
>pretending to visit the lab.

>Dennis Ritchie
>dmr@research.att.com

Did anyone notice that their is no "disclaimer" in the above posting?
Since it came from someone as respected as Dennis Ritchie, can I
assume that ATT is endorsing slamming? :-)