[comp.dcom.telecom] IEEE Spectrum Article on 'Blue Boxing'

john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/05/90)

Stephen Friedl <friedl@mtndew.tustin.ca.us> writes:

> A couple of questions about this.  First, was the moving signalling
> info out of the voice channel done solely to prevent fraud?  Second,
> how big a job was this to redesign the phone system for it (my guess
> is that it was a Very Big Deal) ?

No. Out of band interoffice signaling carries with it many advantages
over inband signaling, such as speed, the ability to pass information
readily in both directions, in addition to being more secure. CCIS was
a gleam in the eye of the Bell System long before "blue boxing" became
recognized as some type of problem. Oh, and yes, it was a VBD!

John Higdon <john@mojave.ati.com> (hiding out in the desert)