[comp.dcom.telecom] Telco "Customer Service"

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (10/18/90)

As most of us know first-hand, a lot of the people working Customer
Service in the telecom industry seem to be poorly trained, and not
very knowledgable of how the telephone network really works.  Since I
know how much I enjoy hearing everyone else's horror stories, I
thought I'd pass along a few of my own:

US West: "Why not select the PIN of your Call Me card to be the same
as your regular calling card, so that it's easy to remember?"

Upon reporting a number that results in a "dead line" when dialed,
Pacific Bell Repair stated "oh, that's normal.  Sometimes we don't
give a recording, just a dead line."

Anonymous cellular telephone salesman: "This model is nice because it
has true TouchTone.  On the older cellular models, even though it's
pushbutton, you have to wait for the number to pulse out when placing
a call."

Cellular One of Sacramento: "You have to pay airtime for calls
forwarded from your cellular phone, because these calls actually go
over the air."

And perhaps the best one of them all, Cellular One of San Francisco:
"10XXX dialing isn't available because it's incompatible with the
microwaves we use between cell sites."

Can anyone top these?

[Moderator's Note: Cellular One/Chicago in their printed manual says
that keeping a call on hold on your cell phone while accepting a call
waiting will incur two overlapping airtime charges. Why? Because, as
the rep told me, both calls are being transmitted through the air even
though on one of them no one is talking at the moment.  Hmmm. Likewise
she said three-way cell calls incur double airtime since *your phone*
(my emphasis) is connected to two people at one time. I asked if she meant
their switch was connected to two people at one time, and it was
sending me *one* transmission of the two callers combined. She said
she hadn't thought about it that way before.  Double hmmm.  Yes
readers, send along your 'can you top this' stories.  PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/21/90)

Steve Forrette <forrette@cory.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Anonymous cellular telephone salesman: "This model is nice because it
> has true TouchTone.  On the older cellular models, even though it's
> pushbutton, you have to wait for the number to pulse out when placing
> a call."

 From the Pac*Bell repair "Gotcha" department:

Among my many residence lines is one from the #5 crossbar switch --
the rest are on a 1ESS. I am not paying for TT on the Xbar line --
they can't (or don't seem to be able to) turn it off. Anyway, I have
noticed for some time that it takes MUCH longer for calls to complete,
particularly long distance calls, on the Xbar than on the 1ESS. Why? I
don't know -- they both use archaic MF signaling.

Being the pill that I am, called repair service and explained that
calls seemed to take much too long to complete on the Xbar line. A
technician called back and I explained that calls on my ESS lines
completed MUCH faster than those on the number I was reporting. He had
to take it under advisement.

The next day the man called back with the explanation. He did some
checking and found that my ESS lines had TT and the reported line
didn't. He carefully explained that TT was much faster than rotary. If
I were to get TT service on the Xbar line, the problem would be
solved.

Makes sense to me! The man should be taken to lunch by the sales
department.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (10/22/90)

In article <13877@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

>  From the Pac*Bell repair "Gotcha" department:

> Among my many residence lines is one from the #5 crossbar switch --
> the rest are on a 1ESS. I am not paying for TT on the Xbar line --
> they can't (or don't seem to be able to) turn it off. Anyway, I have
> noticed for some time that it takes MUCH longer for calls to complete,
> particularly long distance calls, on the Xbar than on the 1ESS. Why? I
> don't know -- they both use archaic MF signaling.

I don't think that this could be the case here, but when visiting my
mother in a small town in Colorado last year I noticed an interesting
implementation of TT. The town is still on the old (circa 1950?)
rotary switch. Of course it can't handle TT in any way, right?

What Mountain Bell (now USWest) did was put DTMF receivers on the
input to the switch which output pulses. So I entered the tones and
could hear the pulses being generated in the background. And, no, it
was not a pushbutton phone generating pulses. It was a phone that can
so either with the switch set to tone position. I could clearly hear
the DTMF.

R. Kevin Oberman     Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov              (415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (10/25/90)

In article <13940@accuvax.nwu.edu>, oberman@rogue.llnl.gov writes:

> What Mountain Bell (now USWest) did was put DTMF receivers on the
> input to the switch which output pulses. So I entered the tones and
> could hear the pulses being generated in the background. And, no, it
> was not a pushbutton phone generating pulses. It was a phone that can
> so either with the switch set to tone position. I could clearly hear
> the DTMF.

I *think* this is what was happening to me (sometimes) at the North
Rim of the Grand Canyon in September.  It made it really difficult
(impossible) to DISA and/or voice mail.  I think it might have worked
once, but I couldn't figure out any possible timeouts, etc to repeat
my success.

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (10/27/90)

In article <13940@accuvax.nwu.edu>, oberman@rogue.llnl.gov writes:

> implementation of TT. The town is still on the old (circa 1950?)
> rotary switch. Of course it can't handle TT in any way, right?

> What Mountain Bell (now USWest) did was put DTMF receivers on the
> input to the switch which output pulses. So I entered the tones and
> could hear the pulses being generated in the background. And, no, it

 From about the start of TT there have been various converters for
steppers.  Many simply bolted to the frame behind the linefinders.
Mitel made a "QuadPak" that took four cards, and later, as TT decoding
got more compact their old #1625 cards zillions of which plugged into
these, were upgraded to newer models that could do two lines per card.
Actually the card space could by then do even more, but there were
only card edge connections enough for one more line in the vast
installed base of boxes.

TelTone and others also made such devices, and their cards would slide
into Mitel boxes, too.

Another popular trick, rather than having a TT decoder per linefinder,
was to have a few decoders, and some sort of allocater circuit between
the linefinder and first selector. In 'slenderised' offices, something
'smart' was stuck in that location anyway, to possibly alter what you
dialed into what was needed to transit the selectors. Such a box could
have TT added easily.

The bummer is that they don't always drop off the line. They are
supposed to quit on a timer, or on answer supervision, but if they
don't and you need to TT to the far end, try # or occasionally * to
disable the decoder.

With residential TT $s on the rise here in MA, I have been considering
digging out some old 1625s I have stashed away. They ARE strappable
for 48 or 24 v dc, and for 10 or 20 PPS. At 20 pps (which any xbar or
electronic offic should be able to use), the delay is barely
noticable.

Anyone know of a really good but cheap TT-> pulse converter that
properly deals with ALL the many problems? I havn't looked at that
market in years, but with the chips now available, there just might be
something in the < one year of TT service price range. LECs charging
for TT deserve to lose the revenue.

Tad.Cook@beaver.cs.washington.edu (11/03/90)

In article <14017@accuvax.nwu.edu>, CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins)
writes:

> In article <13940@accuvax.nwu.edu>, oberman@rogue.llnl.gov writes:

> > What Mountain Bell (now USWest) did was put DTMF receivers on the
> > input to the switch which output pulses. So I entered the tones and
> > could hear the pulses being generated in the background. And, no, it
> > was not a pushbutton phone generating pulses. It was a phone that can
> > so either with the switch set to tone position. I could clearly hear
> > the DTMF.

> I *think* this is what was happening to me (sometimes) at the North
> Rim of the Grand Canyon in September.  It made it really difficult
> (impossible) to DISA and/or voice mail.  I think it might have worked
> once, but I couldn't figure out any possible timeouts, etc to repeat
> my success.

The telco was using a standard touchtone to dialpulse converter,
probably Mitel or Teltone, between the linefinder and the first
selector.

After the dialing is done, there are several ways to disable the
converter for end-to-end DTMF signalling.

Some of them are set up to disable the converter upon receipt of
answer supervision, in the form of a line reversal.

Some of them will accept a * from the caller to disable the converter.

Most of them will time out the converter after about 15 or 20 seconds.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544      Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (11/05/90)

In article <14287@accuvax.nwu.edu>, hpubvwa!ssc!Tad.Cook@beaver.cs.
washington.edu writes:

> The telco was using a standard touchtone to dialpulse converter,
> probably Mitel or Teltone, between the linefinder and the first
> selector.

> Some of them will accept a * from the caller to disable the converter.

Many of them accept the # to disable the converter.  This is so common
that it is used to advantage in the MCCS (mechanized calling card
service) logo tone.  This tone (sometimes called the Bong tone) is
heard on 0+ calls and precedes the announcement that prompts for your
card number.  The first ten milliseconds of the BONG are actually a #
which then fades into something else, as one of its two component
tones decays.  The intent here is that the if the caller (or the
caller's telco) is using a tone-to-pulse converter, the converter will
be disabled when the caller enters the card number.

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857