[comp.dcom.telecom] Interlock For Two Phones

tim@ncoast.org (Tim Stradtman) (10/31/90)

Recently there was an article referring to a simple gadget that would
interlock two phones so that only one could be in use at a time.  I
beleive it referenced an article in _Popular Electronics_.  However,
our library doesn't carry PE, and I couldn't get the article.  Can
anyone help me??

Thanks,

Tim Stradtman
tim@ncoast.org  or  uunet!cwjcc!ncoast!tim  or  ak215@cleveland.freenet.edu

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/02/90)

In article <14183@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tim@ncoast.org (Tim Stradtman)
writes:

> Recently there was an article referring to a simple gadget that would
> interlock two phones so that only one could be in use at a time.  I

Can't help with the requested article, but that functionality is an
old standard 1A2 or even 1A1 key system standby. The key system
version needs lots of exclusion cards and a mess of wiring, and is
best done for maybe 1 line and 1 phone excluding ALL other phones from
getting that line.

Any level of sophistication can be installed, but it gets to be a real
mess to maintain.

The easier way is to use the simple little inline encapsulated solid
state thingies that 1) can let which ever phone gets the line
automatically exclude ALL others so equipped, or 2) a master phone can
even 'steal' the connection from another simply by going off hook.

There is provision for allowing another back in so two of you can be
on the line at once.

These little electronic excluders have been in supply catalogs for
years, and I think you should try Proctor Associates (Redmond WA), or
maybe even Melco (now Augat Comm Division - there is an 800 # listed
under Augat Comm Div). Start with Proctor, and if they no longer make
them, ask who does.

max@uunet.uu.net (Max J. Rochlin) (11/03/90)

 From article <14183@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by tim@ncoast.org (Tim
Stradtman):

> Recently there was an article referring to a simple gadget that would
> interlock two phones so that only one could be in use at a time.

AT&T, Radio Shack, etc all sell a device for answering machings that
cut the line if another phone on the circut is picked up.  This is
what you're looking for.  They cost about $10.00.

  decwrl!madmax!max           or         {sun,uunet}!saxony!madmax!max
  ^^^^^^ been DEAD LATELY  so, better use     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

tad@ssc.uucp (Tad Cook) (11/05/90)

writes:

> Recently there was an article referring to a simple gadget that would
> interlock two phones so that only one could be in use at a time.  I

What you are talking about is an exclusion module.  They can lock out
certain (or any) phones from a line that is already in use by another
extension.  Real handy for preventing modem interruptions on your home
phone.

Proctor and Associates has been making these for 20 years.  You can
reach them at 206-881-7000 in Redmond, Washington.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544        Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad    or, tad@ssc.UUCP