[comp.dcom.telecom] *FREE* Calls From a Hotel!

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (10/30/90)

Recently I took a trip up to Austin, Tx.  I stayed at the Wyndham (an
expensive ritzy hotel :-).  Being one of those really wierd criminal
types, I paid for my room cash up front.  (Trying to rent cars and
hotel rooms with cash only could make a short novel of anecdotes.
Sigh).

I decided to call my brother, who lives in Austin (a local call). The
hotel operator cut in and told me I needed to leave a deposit to make
phone calls.  This sounded strange to me, since I'd already made some
LD calls with my Sprint card.

Then it hit me: Dial out to Sprint (which is required to be free?)
then make my local call.  I really didn't care if Sprint charged me,
the hotel wanted .25 per call and I really wanted to see if it would
work.

It did.  I got my bill today.  NO CHARGE for the calls I made local to
Austin.  Not even a record of them.

Free calls for all!!

J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120
EastEnders list: eastender@karazm.math.uh.edu
Skate UNIX(r)

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (11/05/90)

In article <14127@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric
Townsend) writes:

> Then it hit me: Dial out to Sprint (which is required to be free?)
> then make my local call.  I really didn't care if Sprint charged me,
> the hotel wanted .25 per call and I really wanted to see if it would
> work.

> It did.  I got my bill today.  NO CHARGE for the calls I made local to
> Austin.  Not even a record of them.

> Free calls for all!!

Hmmmm ... I tried this, but got different results.  I had some time to
kill at a payphone, some local calls to make, a Sprint FON Card, and
no quarters.

The Sprint bill showed up, and on the longer local calls, the charges
were rather hefty.

Or did he mean that the HOTEL didn't bill him?

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544        Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad    or, tad@ssc.UUCP

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/06/90)

In article <14332@accuvax.nwu.edu> tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:

>The Sprint bill showed up, and on the longer local calls, the charges
>were rather hefty. Or did he mean that the HOTEL didn't bill him?

Well, the hotel didn't bill me, and Sprint hasn't billed me (yet).

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (11/07/90)

Townsend) writes:

>Then it hit me: Dial out to Sprint (which is required to be free?)
>then make my local call.  I really didn't care if Sprint charged me,
>the hotel wanted .25 per call and I really wanted to see if it would
>work.

>It did.  I got my bill today.  NO CHARGE for the calls I made local to
>Austin.  Not even a record of them.

	I sometimes do this when I'm at a coin phone with no coins.
Sprint always charges me, even for local calls.

	Sometimes these calls turn out to be fairly expensive (up to
$1.50 in some cases).

Jeff Carroll
carroll@atc.boeing.com