[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Daily Roaming Surcharge $4.00 per Day?

brian@apt.bungi.com (Brian Litzinger) (10/30/90)

My cellular phone was parked in one spot for two days out of my
standard service area.  I made several calls each day, and I knew that
my phone was roaming.

I had heard about daily service charges of $2 per day in some areas.

I checked my roaming rate chart, and there was no daily roaming charge
in the area that I was in.

Well, the bill and apparently the truth has now arrived.  I don't so
much mind the $2.00 per day charge, but two $2.00 per day charges per
day?

I asked my celluar carrier about the $2.00 per day charge when my
chart said they were no per day charges in that area.  They responded
that I should have dialed *611 and gotten the information that was
accurate for the particular minute is was planning to dial during 8-).

Now what about the two $2.00 per day day charges?
In my bill they look like:

xxx-xxx-xxxx: ROAMER CALL: Sacramento, CA:  MCCAW CELLUALR COMM

  PLACE & NUMBER       DATE  TIME              OTHER   TAX  TOTAL
DAILY CHRG 001-29 -  Jul 29 12:00A              2.00   .02   2.02

xxx-xxx-xxxx: ROAMER CALL: Stockton, CA:  MCCAW CELLUALR COMM

  PLACE & NUMBER       DATE  TIME              OTHER   TAX  TOTAL
DAILY CHRG 002-33 -  Jul 29 12:00A              2.00   .02   2.02

My phone didn't budge an inch during that day. Also, about
half the calls I placed and was billed for failed to go through.

So what is the deal? Do I pay?

I can't wait till they have about 40 different services in the same
area so my roaming charge will be $80 a day! 8-)

<>  Brian Litzinger @ APT Technology Inc., San Jose, CA
<>  brian@apt.bungi.com      {apple,sun,pyramid}!daver!apt!brian
<>  Disclaimer: Above are my opinions and probably wrong.

couric@mcgp1.uucp (Carl Couric) (11/02/90)

In article <14176@accuvax.nwu.edu> brian@apt.bungi.com (Brian
Litzinger) writes:

>My cellular phone was parked in one spot for two days out of my
>standard service area.  I made several calls each day, and I knew that
>my phone was roaming.

And so did McCaw :-) . You were using our network. You are not a
normal customer and we have to verify you against your home system.
This costs us in computer time/switch time.

>I had heard about daily service charges of $2 per day in some areas.

That's what we charge to set you up for the day into our switch.

>Well, the bill and apparently the truth has now arrived.  I don't so
>much mind the $2.00 per day charge, but two $2.00 per day charges each
>day?

We have to verify every 24 hours. Let's say you MOVED to the area and
didn't want to pay your previous carrier. We sure don't want to get
stuck with the bill, would you ;-) .

>I asked my celluar carrier about the $2.00 per day charge when my
>chart said they were no per day charges in that area.  They responded
>that I should have dialed *611 and gotten the information that was
>accurate for the particular minute is was planning to dial during 8-).

True, If you ever have a question hit 611. It is free (ie: we don't
charge), because the information to use our network should be
free.

>My phone didn't budge an inch during that day. Also, about
>half the calls I placed and was billed for failed to go through.
>So what is the deal? Do I pay?

If you do have a problem PLEASE call the Cellular One local to you. If
they can help, they will. You could also call down to the McCaw
Cellular One and see if the charges should stand. I know that here in
Florida, McCaw does not charge for incomplete calls, busy, or no
answers. That's nice considering you're using the radio spectrum to
find out if the number you want to talk to is available.

>I can't wait till they have about 40 different services in the same
>area so my roaming charge will be $80 a day! 8-)

Lets see, with just two carriers per area, you would have to scan AB
(please!), and if you were in a plane, you just might do it! 8-).

Do note that when the snow birds come down, they usually register with
us instead of paying the $2 a day. They also get a cheaper rate
compared to the roam rate. You're using another carrier's system, and
as such, that carrier is providing you a service as quickly as
possible. We verify you against your home system (and that network is
not free!). So, $2 a day is not to much if you really think about it.
Hope this helps...

Carl Couric
VAX systems manager
Florida Cellular One  (McCaw Corp).
(305) 792-2355  x543

kaufman@neon.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/03/90)

In article <14237@accuvax.nwu.edu> couric@mcgp1.uucp writes:

>McCaw does not charge for incomplete calls, busy, or no
>answers. That's nice considering you're using the radio spectrum to
>find out if the number you want to talk to is available.

Great.  What a fine, generous attitude.  I suppose when I dial New
York from my home near San Francisco, I am *NOT* using radio spectrum
or system resources to find out if the number I want to talk to is
available.

Bah!  This just reinforces my decision NOT to get a cellular phone.
They're just like COCOTs, but they cost more.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (11/05/90)

Litzinger) writes:

> I asked my celluar carrier about the $2.00 per day charge when my
> chart said they were no per day charges in that area.  They responded
> that I should have dialed *611 and gotten the information that was
> accurate for the particular minute is was planning to dial during 8-).

I was amused to find roaming charges on my bill for Philadelphia once,
and no charge for any calls.  It seems that I had made a (free) call
to (*)611 while changing planes which invoked the roam charge.

I know I called and complained about such a silly concept but I don't
recall how far I got.  If you have to ask how much it costs, then you
had better be able to afford it.

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

[Moderator's Note: That's why I fully support the concept of learning
to program your own phone, and getting accounts on many systems.  PAT]

flak@mcgp1.uucp (Dan Flak) (11/07/90)

Dear Brian,

I read your article in comp.dcom.telecom, and have forwarded a copy of
it to the Manager of National Customer Care here at McCaw Cellular
Communicattions Headquarters. Obviously, the experience you had is not
something we would like to have happen to our customers.

We would like to correct your specific problem, and also get from you
more specific information so we can keep this type of problem from
occurring to others in the future.

Either call or E-mail me with a telephone number at which you would
like to be contacted, and I will forward it to the customer care
representative who is handling your case.

    Dan Flak - McCaw Cellular Communications Inc., 201 Elliot Ave W.,
 Suite 105, Seattle, Wa 98119, 206-286-4355, (usenet: nwnexus!mcgp1!flak)

couric@mcgp1.uucp (Carl Couric) (11/07/90)

In article <14279@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaufman@neon.stanford.edu (Marc T.
Kaufman) writes:

>In article <14237@accuvax.nwu.edu> couric@mcgp1.uucp writes:

>>McCaw does not charge for incomplete calls, busy, or no
>>answers. That's nice considering you're using the radio spectrum to
>>find out if the number you want to talk to is available.

>Great.  What a fine, generous attitude.  I suppose when I dial New
>York from my home near San Francisco, I am *NOT* using radio spectrum
>or system resources to find out if the number I want to talk to is
>available.

Yes, you are! In fact, It is a generous attitude. Neither the long
distance company OR McCaw charge you. You are correct in that calling
New York will use Various radio spectrum, either Via Microwave or
Sattlelite. I don't mean to come off sounding harsh or rude. I just
want to say that the cellular company does not charge you, it the same
convience you already enjoy with your current hardline system.

>Bah!  This just reinforces my decision NOT to get a cellular phone.
>They're just like COCOTs, but they cost more.

It really depends on what you want. Why are we like a COCOT? I see
this as a convenience to go wireless, just like push button compared
to rotary. In some cases, its even cheaper than hardwire (I can show
physical proof :-).

Marc (and anyone else), still have questions on this, PLEASE reply or
call me. I hope I have shed some light on this subject.

Carl Couric    VAX System Manager
Florida Cellular One (McCaw Communications)
(305) 792-2355 x543

or Please reply to this account... ;-)

[Moderator's Note: You are quite correct that cellular calls are as
cheap as or cheaper than landline in many cases. When I tell people
that my Ameritech service allows me to call *anywhere* in northeastern
Illinoiis, from Wisconsin on the north to Morris, IL on the southwest
and parts of northern Indiana at the rate of 10 cents for the first
three minutes and ten cents a minute thereafter they can't believe it.
A four minute cellular call to a place forty miles distant costs 20
cents. On a 'genuine Bell' payphone the same call costs 50 cents!
People who know little or nothing about cellular service think I am a
wealthy person. My total monthly bill: $35-45, period. They look at me
and say 'is *that* all?' .... Yes, and I use it at least once or twice
daily. Cellular service is a definite answer to the COCOT menace.  PAT]

pbhx@midway.uchicago.edu (Peter B. Hayward) (11/07/90)

Kaufman) writes:

>Great.  What a fine, generous attitude.  I suppose when I dial New
>York from my home near San Francisco, I am *NOT* using radio spectrum
>or system resources to find out if the number I want to talk to is
>available.

>Bah!  This just reinforces my decision NOT to get a cellular phone.
>They're just like COCOTs, but they cost more.

Marc, I am mystified by the reason for your angry response here.
Neither of you are charged for "incomplete calls, busy, or no
answers."  How does this make cell phones different from LD carriers?

Peter B. Hayward                     N9IZT/AE
University of Chicago Computing Organizations

jmm@uunet.uu.net (John Macdonald) (11/07/90)

|[Moderator's Note: That's why I fully support the concept of learning
|to program your own phone, and getting accounts on many systems.  PAT]

Perhaps eveyone should throw out their AT&T cards and get a separate
one for each local telco they deal with too.  The problem here is that
cellular service sort of falls in the cracks of the great breakup -
they are local service providers except that their service is
available over a wide range of locations.

John Macdonald     jmm@eci386

kaufman@neon.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/08/90)

In article <14414@accuvax.nwu.edu> pbhx@midway.uchicago.edu (Peter B.
Hayward) writes:

>In article <14279@accuvax.nwu.edu> I write:

->Great.  What a fine, generous attitude.  I suppose when I dial New
->York from my home near San Francisco, I am *NOT* using radio spectrum
->or system resources to find out if the number I want to talk to is
->available.

>Marc, I am mystified by the reason for your angry response here.
>Neither of you are charged for "incomplete calls, busy, or no
>answers."  How does this make cell phones different from LD carriers?

Sorry for the outburst.  I got angry because the original poster (from
McCaw?)  said it in a way that implied the no-charge for busy was a
gracious gift, rather than just a part of the business.  Most of us
here on the net know at least a LITTLE about computer networking, and
I can't believe a $2.00 charge is warranted for a couple of packets of
data exchanged with the home provider.  Especially considering the
high probability that the $2 is spread among only a very few calls
(like only 1 call in the examples that started this thread).  I agree
with an earlier poster who suggested that roaming should be handled as
a per-minute surcharge of, say, 10 or 20 cents per minute.

And for those of you who think Cellular is not like an AOS -- how do
they justify double-dipping for non-existant air time on forwarded
calls?

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/08/90)

Much has been said concerning various cellular operators and what
appear to be outrageous charges. Quite honestly, most cellular charges
are way out of line. However, what you are seeing is the marketplace
at work.

Demand for cellular service is greater than the wildest expectations
of the developers. Every trick in the book is used to handle the flood
of customers and the resultant traffic -- from multiplying the number
of cell sites to (and here's the nasty part) keeping the price high
enough to discourage casual use. A number of operators have requested
rate reductions from the appropriate regulatory agencies and have been
denied due to the heavy demand. Does this mean that McCaw, PacTel,
GTE, and the like are getting rich? You bet! If you have a product
that is mega-popular, you make money.

At the moment I am roaming in the much-maligned LA area PacTel system.
These are the slimes who charge for call attempts even if it's the
system's fault that the call bombs. They charge roamers $0.70/min
during the day. BUT, they have no per-day roaming charge. This means
that I can activate FMR daily without charge, and pay only if I get a
call. I find this preferable to the instant $2.00/day charge that is
tacked on to a single call in many systems.

But don't expect rates to come down any time soon. Those who find the
system convenient and helpful will use it; those who do not think the
charges are worth it will not. The providers are NOT hurting for
customers. When someone complains that the charges are outrageous,
he's right. And when he refuses to subscribe, that's natural selection
at work.

John Higdon <john@mojave.ati.com> (hiding out in the desert)