[comp.dcom.telecom] Time Protocol, was Re: AT&T ISDN Set Question

roeber@cithe2.cithep.caltech.edu (Frederick Roeber) (11/04/90)

In article <14267@accuvax.nwu.edu>, coffland@roxanne (Doug Coffland)
writes:

> Another shortfall is that the time provided across a packet network
> whether it originates from a peripheral applications processor or from
> the ISDN itself is subject to error equal to packet delay across the
> network.

RFC-1059 "Network Time Protocol (NTP)" describes (or at least points
to the paper describing) the algorithm used to solve this problem in
the IP network time protocol.  Last I checked, RFC's can be ftp'd
from nic.ddn.mil.

Frederick G. M. Roeber | e-mail: roeber@caltech.edu or roeber@vxcern.cern.ch
r-mail: CERN/SL-CO, 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland | telephone: +41 22 767 5373

elkins@uunet.uu.net (Rob Elkins) (11/09/90)

In article <14292@accuvax.nwu.edu> roeber@cithe2.cithep.caltech.edu
(Frederick Roeber) writes:

>In article <14267@accuvax.nwu.edu>, coffland@roxanne (Doug Coffland)
>writes:

>RFC-1059 "Network Time Protocol (NTP)" describes (or at least points
>to the paper describing) the algorithm used to solve this problem in
>the IP network time protocol.  Last I checked, RFC's can be ftp'd
>from nic.ddn.mil.

My EE Professor David Mills (Univ Delaware) is the creator of NTP.
Brillant Man.  His stuff is (was) available via anon FTP from
louie.udel.edu

Rob Elkins	E.I. Dupont de Nemours & Co, Inc
Email:		elkinsra%mlvax%dupont.com@csnet-relay
Voice:		215-339-6253