[comp.dcom.telecom] ISDN Frame Relay Service

zweig@cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig) (11/06/90)

I was talking to Van Jacobson last week and he described a service his
local telco is going to offer real soon now in which the customer sets
up virtual calls using the D-channel and then dumps HDLC frames onto
the B-channel and they get routed by the CO switch. Zounds! This
sounds really neat -- the functionality of IP coming right out of the
funny-looking ISDN jack on the wall.

Does anyone know more about this service?  I am mostly interested in
how reliable the frame delivery would be, whether frames would be
delivered in order, whether one could set up calls to the same
destination over both B-channels in a PRI (to crank out 128kbps to a
single other machine) and that sort of thing.

Johnny ISDN

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) (11/07/90)

In article <14396@accuvax.nwu.edu>, zweig@cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig)
writes...

>I was talking to Van Jacobson last week and he described a service his
>local telco is going to offer real soon now in which the customer sets
>up virtual calls using the D-channel and then dumps HDLC frames onto
>the B-channel and they get routed by the CO switch. Zounds! This
>sounds really neat -- the functionality of IP coming right out of the
>funny-looking ISDN jack on the wall.

>Does anyone know more about this service?  I am mostly interested in
>how reliable the frame delivery would be, whether frames would be
>delivered in order, whether one could set up calls to the same
>destination over both B-channels in a PRI (to crank out 128kbps to a
>single other machine) and that sort of thing.

Frame Relay Service is, as you say, based upon using the D channel to
set up calls and the B channel (OR the D channel, on a low priority
basis) to send the bearer frames.  The bearer frame uses the "Core
Aspects of LAPD" protocol (ANSI T1.6ca, partially through balloting,
and also a subset of CCITT draft Q.922), which has an HDLC flag, CRC,
and LAPD address, but NO HDLC control info.  (That's payload, in a
higher layer.)

It does not guarantee frame delivery, but what frames it delivers
should be in order (under normal circumstances).  Two separate B
channels would normally be two separate packet streams, though a 128
kbps access to the packet handler (bit-synchronized) isn't
inconceivable for the future.  Private FR switches, of course, can
have faster accesses; you can also theoretically use ISDN H channels
(384 kbps, 1.472 and 1.536 Mbps).

We spent _years_ working on this at ANSI T1S1...

Fred R. Goldstein              Digital Equipment Corp., Littleton MA
goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com   voice: +1 508 486 7388
 Do you think anyone else on the planet would share my opinions, let
 alone a multi-billion dollar corporation?

fleming@uunet.uu.net (11/08/90)

> Does anyone know more about this service?  I am mostly
> interested in how reliable the frame delivery would be,
> whether frames would be delivered in order, whether one could
> set up calls to the same destination over both B-channels in
> a PRI (to crank out 128kbps to a single other machine) and
> that sort of thing.

Frame delivery would be unreliable by design.  Error-checking and
retransmission becomes the responsibility of the terminal (Application
Layer), not the network.  This mindset change lets you rip out most of
the overhead associated with X.25 and start packetizing at 1.5 Mb/s
(today ... faster soon).

Frames would maintain sequence since you are setting up virtual
circuits (connection-oriented).

"Both B channels in a PRI" -- a PRI has 23 B channels.  And yes, you
can dedicate all 23 of them to a single virtual circuit.  I haven't
seen frame relay promised yet for BRI (2B+D), but it is certainly
feasible.

There's a decent non-technical tutorial on frame relay in the October
issue of Telecommunications magazine (Disclaimer: I wrote it).  Let me
know by E-mail if I can help.

Stephen Fleming            | Internet: fleming@cup.portal.com
Director, Technology Mktg. | CI$: 76354,3176    AOL: SFleming
Northern Telecom           | BIX: srfleming     X.500:  ???
7900 Westpark Drive, A220  +----------------------------------
McLean, Virginia  22102    |   Opinions expressed do not
(703) 847-8186             |   represent Northern Telecom.

benyukhi@uunet.uu.net (Ed Benyukhis) (11/09/90)

writes:

> I was talking to Van Jacobson last week and he described a service his
> local telco is going to offer real soon now in which the customer sets
> up virtual calls using the D-channel and then dumps HDLC frames onto
> the B-channel and they get routed by the CO switch. Zounds! This
> sounds really neat -- the functionality of IP coming right out of the
> funny-looking ISDN jack on the wall.

> Does anyone know more about this service?  I am mostly interested in
> how reliable the frame delivery would be, whether frames would be
> delivered in order, whether one could set up calls to the same
> destination over both B-channels in a PRI (to crank out 128kbps to a

> single other machine) and that sort of thing.

The way you describe the connection and looking at the data transfer
rate, you are referring to a BRI and not a PRI.  The subject, of your
post semms to suggest that you want to know more about Broadband ISDN
services and recomendation.  Frame Relay Service is really an OC-1
CCITT standard that is being implemented with laboratory equipment and
in laboratory conditions at this point.  If it is a BRI that you want
know about, as it is currently implemented on some CO switches, here
it is:

B-channel connection can be provisioned with either packet or circuit
services or both on-demand (ODB).  All connections over the B-channel
are set-up via D-channel Q.931 control messages.  However, in the case
of a circuit switched connection, layers 2-7 are not defined nor used.
Users can/should provide their own synchronization and error control
mechanisms.  In the case of the Packet Switching over the B-channel,
layer 2 is LAPB and layer 3 is X.25.  You get your basic synch, error
correction and the flow control with these two layers.  Yes, PVC
guarantees that frames will be delivered in order, and yes, both
B-channesl can be routed to the same destination address.

I am not really sure if this is what you are looking for of if it is
different ISDN services you are interested in.  Drop me a line if you
want to find out more about ISDN or BISDN.

Regards,

Edward Benyukhis, Motorola, CIG
(708) 632-4658