[comp.dcom.telecom] Distinctive Ringing Fax/Phone Switch

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (11/02/90)

In <14098@accuvax.nwu.edu> tim@ggumby.cs.caltech.edu (Timothy L. Kay)
writes:

>It would be useful to have a fax switch that could decide, based on
>the ring, whether to engage the fax machine, data modem, or answering
>machine.

I recently purchased a fax/phone/modem switch that claims to do just
that.  I don't know how well this works, because I don't have
distinctive ringing.  The brand name of the fax/phone switch is
"ExtraLine" and it cost me about $150+tax.  It is supposed to be able
to select one of two devices based on distinctive ringing.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP: oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

jmc%eniac@relay.eu.net (Miguel Casteleiro) (11/07/90)

In article <14293@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

> In <14098@accuvax.nwu.edu> tim@ggumby.cs.caltech.edu (Timothy L. Kay)
> writes:

> >It would be useful to have a fax switch that could decide, based on
> >the ring, whether to engage the fax machine, data modem, or answering
> >machine.

> I recently purchased a fax/phone/modem switch that claims to do just
> that.  [...]  It is supposed to be able
> to select one of two devices based on distinctive ringing.

Can someone please explain how do this devices work?  Do they answer
to the phone line, and then decide based on the tones what type of
call is it?  And then, do they simulate the calling tone to the fax
and the modem?  If so, aren't this tones diferent from country to
country?

In short, suppose that I have a dumb fax and a dumb modem, can I
interface one of this devices between one phone line and them?

Thanks for any help.

Miguel Casteleiro at
INESC, Lisboa, Portugal.
UUCP: ...!mcsun!inesc!jmc

ee@uunet.uu.net (Edward Elhauge) (11/08/90)

 From article <14425@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by inesc!jmc%eniac@relay.eu.net
(Miguel Casteleiro):

>> I recently purchased a fax/phone/modem switch that claims to do just

> Can someone please explain how do this devices work?  Do they answer

I bought a model called the Eliminator TF 300 at Office Club a couple
of weeks ago. The instructions say that it looks for "audible beep
tones called CNG (CalliNG) signals from the remote fax.

After a brief timeout is seems to switch to the voice circuits where
my modem is stimulated by Eliminator produced rings. It mostly works
OK.

Every so often I'll get someone out there sending me a fax with a
modem that doesn't produce this signal and the fax gets connected to
the modem.

      Edward Elhauge      |    {hoptoad,uunet}!\
     Lever Industries     |        lever!ee
       San Francisco      |
    Voice 415-550-6789    |      ee@lever.com

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (11/10/90)

In article <14425@accuvax.nwu.edu>, inesc!jmc%eniac@relay.eu.net
(Miguel Casteleiro) writes:

> In article <14293@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.atc.
olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

> > I recently purchased a fax/phone/modem switch that claims to do just
> > that.  [...]  It is supposed to be able
> > to select one of two devices based on distinctive ringing.

> Can someone please explain how do this devices work?  Do they answer
> to the phone line, and then decide based on the tones what type of
> call is it?  And then, do they simulate the calling tone to the fax
> and the modem?  If so, aren't this tones diferent from country to
> country?

No, the beauty of it is that they don't have to answer the phone,
because they can tell from DISTINCTIVE RINGING what device the call is
for.  So I have the telco assign 555-0001 to my voice calls, 555-0002
for my modem calls, and 555-0003 for my fax calls.  The telco sets it
up so that all calls coming into my line when 0001 is dialed result in
normal ringing cadence, 0002 causes a double ring, and 0003 causes a
triple ring.  The fax/phone/modem switch will divide the call among
one of three outgoing RJ11 jacks according to the ringing cadence.

In the example above, the numbers don't have to be consecutive.  The
telco just assigns three different telephone numbers to one line, and
each one causes a different style (rhythm) ringing.

> In short, suppose that I have a dumb fax and a dumb modem, can I
> interface one of this devices between one phone line and them?

Yes ... assuming that your telco offers DISTINCTIVE RINGING as a
feature.

One manufacturer of these devices is ITS Communications of Endicott,
NY.  They make the AutoLine Plus.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544      Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP