[comp.dcom.telecom] Voice Activated Calling Cards

SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun Baheti <SABahe@Macalstr.EDU>) (11/07/90)

In V10 #794 (I am, believe it or not up-to-date on my reading for
once) there is mention of a voice activated calling card system from
Sprint.  I recall a few years ago that there was a company (All-Net?)
that allowed people not at touch-tone phones to "speak" their card
numbers into a machine, one digit at a time, and then the destination
number the same way.  It then asked for verification with yes/no
prompt.  It worked quite well, and I don't remember any big complaints
about overheard numbers, etc.  Does anyone remember this as well, or
have any more information?

Arun_Baheti.ElSegundo@Xerox.COM
Sabahe@Macalstr.EDU

slr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Rhoades) (11/10/90)

In article <14493@accuvax.nwu.edu> SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun Baheti
<SABahe@Macalstr.EDU>) writes:

>Sprint.  I recall a few years ago that there was a company (All-Net?)
>that allowed people not at touch-tone phones to "speak" their card
>numbers into a machine, one digit at a time, and then the destination
>number the same way.  It then asked for verification with yes/no

I remember a couple of companies about ten years ago that had this
system.  One in particular, I think it was called Travelnet, comes to
mind.  It was sort of a favorite phreaker thing to play with,
especially from coin phones.  Most of the coin phones in Los Angeles
were rotary at that time.

The major difference in these old systems and the new Sprint service
is Sprint uses voice-PATTERN recognition along with regular voice
recognition.  i.e. In the old systems, it didn't care who you were,
just as long as you uttered something resembling digits.

With Sprint's service, the uttered digits are supposed to match ones
you've previously recorded.

I am curious how their system would work from a noisy location, like
outside an airport.  It seems that the additional outside noise might
cause errors in the system.

Internet: slr@tybalt.caltech.edu  |  Voice-mail: (818) 794-6004
UUCP: ...elroy!tybalt!slr         |  USmail: Box 1000, Mt. Wilson, Ca.  91023