[comp.dcom.telecom] Microsoft Support Sleeze

jgd@gatech.edu (John G. DeArmond) (11/11/90)

john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>Oh, I see. The "product" that put them on the map (other than a BASIC)
>is treated as a second-rate stepsister. The company has to protect
>itself from all those unwashed masses who might actually have some
>legitimate problem (oh, but how could they--DOS is perfect, right?)

>NOT with Microsoft. And the underlying problem seems to stem from
>how they handle telecommunications.

>> You can really blow their mind by getting on usenet and addressing your
>> followup communication to username@microsoft.uucp.

John, I agree with you 100% regarding Microsoft and their tech
support.  I'VE used Usenet in a slightly manner for resolving problems
with Microsoft problems.  A couple of years ago, I had a problem in
which Microsoft C 5.1 would lock up my computers running Novell
networking software code.  I called Microsoft tech support and got a
dweeb who suggested that the problem was Novell's (correct, as chance
would have it) and told me that what I needed to do was trash Novell
and buy Microsoft network or whatever.

I got on the net and flamed Microsoft to a crisp and published Bill
Gates' direct dial number (which I've unfortunately since lost) and
suggested that anyone who disliked this degree of tech support should
call him directly and complain.

A day later I got a call from Jim Dosch who is the manager of Systems
Language Support.  He told me that the problem I was having was a
known one caused by Novell's anet3.com TSR and that an updated version
fixed the problem.  He then gave me his phone number (206 882 6701)
and asked that I call him direct with any future support problems.
I've never used it since I solved the Microsoft support problem the
old fashioned way - I switched to Turbo-C :-)

Perhaps that number will be of use to you in the future.

John De Armond, WD4OQC     Rapid Deployment System, Inc.
Marietta, Ga               {emory,uunet}!rsiatl!jgd