[comp.dcom.telecom] Wrong Number Suggestions Needed

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (10/31/90)

Dave, a friend of mine, has a primary number XYB-5600.  The local
Sears' published number is XYB-2451.  However, Sears recently moved a
few doors down in the mall and installed a new Rolm PBX and switched
their phone number to XYA-5600 (I suspect the number switch was to
move them from the old ESS to a DMS switch).

When people call the old published Sears number, XYB-2451, they get an
intercept: "The number you have reached, XYB-2451 has been
disconnected; calls are being taken by XYA-5600..."  The problem is
that two or three people per day match the old exchange and the new
number and dial XYB-5600 and get Dave.

The problems that have been echoed on this list before apply here.
It's no problem to answer the phone and tell people what number they
really wanted unless you are sleeping/showering/busy/etc. or if the
people don't catch on and continue to call you back, or they want to
argue with you about what you are telling them.  We also really wonder
about the people that leave messages for Sears on a machine that
starts out "Hi, Dave and Dan aren't available...."

This has been going on for months and we are hoping it will let up in
February when the new directory comes out.  We realize that this isn't
Bell's fault and this isn't Sears' fault.  We're looking for a cheap
creative solution to hold Dave over till February (or later).  We've
not made any "official" request from anyone at Bell yet -- we know
that when you call asking Bell for things, you better already know
what you want from them in advance.  The usual Bell response is often
"We'll be VERY nice and change the number for free."  Of course that
doesn't work here as Dave will no longer get phone calls from anyone
that knows his number.  If Bell puts an intercept on XYB-5600 with the
new number, we suspect the Sears calls will simply follow him to his
new number.

The best solution we've come up with so far is to ask Bell (in
conjunction with Sears) to change the number given out on the
intercept to some other number in their hunt (eg XYA-5601 -- we
haven't checked this number).  This assumes something like XYB-5601
isn't in use or the problems will simply move to someone else.  We are
concerned that someone at Bell or Sears will conceive of some problem
with this (eg people may "write down" this temporary 5601 number and
use it forever and there might be some problem with that).

Any other ideas?

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (11/02/90)

> When people call the old published Sears number, XYB-2451, they get an
> intercept: "The number you have reached, XYB-2451 has been disconnected;
> calls are being taken by XYA-5600..."

Why can't the switch just play "The number you have reached ... Your
call is being automatically forwarded to that number now, but please
make a note of the proper number for future reference", and then
forward the call.  Your telco service rep may freak out if you request
that service, but it doesn't seem like it should be beyond the
capabilities of the switch.

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy

nol2105%dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil@dsac.dla.mil (Robert E. Zabloudil) (11/03/90)

In article <14216@accuvax.nwu.edu> CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins)
writes:

>When people call the old published Sears number, XYB-2451, they get an
>intercept: "The number you have reached, XYB-2451 has been
>disconnected; calls are being taken by XYA-5600..."  The problem is
>that two or three people per day match the old exchange and the new
>number and dial XYB-5600 and get Dave.

We had a similar problem once, when we lived in the Quad Cities.  Our
phone number, XYY-YYZX, got all sorts of calls from people who
couldn't tell how many Y's they had dialed, that is, they dialed
either one more *or* less than they wanted.

Our solution, which worked fairly well, was to have the number changed
(for free), and then have the intercept go not to a recording, but to
the operator (If I remember correctly; it WAS 7 or 8 years ago!).  The
caller was asked what number they were dialing; if ours, they got the
new number, if not, at least the telco got the drudgery, not us.

Oh, yes, we did tell select friends and family members the new number
ourselves.  8^)

Bob Zabloudil
opinions my own, etc.

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (11/03/90)

Our answering machine starts with the following message:

	"Hello, this is NOT AllState, and there are no
	 insurance agents here..."

Guess who used to have our number? The calls have dropped off, or
we were about to change it to:

	"Hello, this is no longer an insurance agency. If
	 you want a State Farm agent call..."

Peter da Silva.
+1 713 274 5180.
peter@ferranti.com

yazz@prodnet.la.locus.com (Bob Yasi) (11/04/90)

On the wrong-number-from-Sears front, I have two comments.

First, if the old number is on a "good" switch then Sears could have
the old number forward into their new hunt group.  I think they were
dumb not to do this in the first place, quite apart from the annoyance
they have caused our telecom digest poster, because of the
inconvenience they cause their customers.  I think an important
component of Sears's public image is their "Old Reliable Standby,
my-grandmother's 1920 Kenmore sewing machine still works, Craftsman
tools are guaranteed forever" sort of thing.  Making it inconvenient
to call the store doesn't jibe.  When grandma, who is perhaps still
leasing her black dial desk telephone from AT&T, calls for a new bobin
on her 1920 sewing machine using the same phone number she has used
for years, maybe decades, she doesn't expect Sears to make it more
complicated than it used to be.  Even if the old number is on a "bad"
switch, Sears can afford the additional cost to make it easy for
grandma.

Second, the different wrong-number problem with repeated or missing
digits is very often caused by cheap cheap cheap phones.  Half-decent
pushbutton phones pay attention to "debouncing", which prevents a
button which is pushed once from dialing a digit twice.  This is a
reason to avoid telephone numbers with repeated digits in them.
(Missing digits generally prevent a call from going through.)

When I have time I'll post an amusing story involving a different
Department store whose number horned in on mine.  I wound up changing
my number, but not without a stink and a free dinner for two.  (:-)

 -- Bob Yazz --  yazz@Locus.com

dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David Tamkin) (11/05/90)

In volume 10, issue 780, Craig Watkins wrote:

| Dave, a friend of mine, has a primary number XYB-5600.  The local
| Sears' published number is XYB-2451.  However, Sears recently switched
| their phone number to XYA-5600.  The problem is that two or three
| people per day match the old exchange and the new number and dial
| XYB-5600 and get Dave.

| It's no problem to answer the phone and tell people what number they
| really wanted unless you are sleeping/showering/busy/etc. or if the
| people don't catch on and continue to call you back, or they want to
| argue with you about what you are telling them.  We also really wonder
| about the people that leave messages for Sears on a machine that
| starts out "Hi, Dave and Dan aren't available...."

| This has been going on for months and we are hoping it will let up in
| February when the new directory comes out.

It may subside slightly; it's amazing how people marry old directories.

| The usual Bell response is often "We'll be VERY nice and change the
| number for free."  Of course that doesn't work here as Dave will no
| longer get phone calls from anyone that knows his number.  If Bell
| puts an intercept on XYB-5600 with the new number, we suspect the
| Sears calls will simply follow him to his new number.

That they will; suddenly people will get the number in the second
intercept right, even if Dave and Dan's new number is on a different
prefix from either XYA or XYB (if possible; I don't know how many
prefixes serve their area).

| Any other ideas?

This is no 100% cure-all solution, but it may help: as long as Dave
and Dan have an answering machine, they should start their OGM with,
"Sears Roebuck & Co.'s telephone number has been changed to XYA-5600;
that's XY_*A*_-5600 [much, much emphasis on the A digit].  If you want
Sears, you must hang up and dial XYA-5600.  If you want Dan or Dave,
please leave a message."

If they have a machine that allows interrupting the OGM, they should
tell their friends how to do it.  This method will catch a fair number
of the doofi who currently listen to "This is Dan and Dave" but still
leave messages for Sears.  It will also put off most of the people who
want to argue with them that yes, they are Sears, stop lying; after
all, individual Sears employees can play games with you on the phone
but the person at Sears in charge of the answering machine would never
record a lie on its OGM, right?  Of course it's silly, fellow readers,
but consider the mentality we're dealing with here.  When such dolts
get an intercept, they don't yell at it that it is lying: that which
comes from a machine is beyond question.  Garbage in, gospel out.

David Tamkin  Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  708 518 6769  312 693 0591
MCI Mail: 426-1818  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570   dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com
[Note: my answering machine is not the fax of Fran Dyra at Children's Press.]

yazz@prodnet.la.locus.com (Bob Yasi) (11/06/90)

Here's the amusing wrong-number story I mentioned last week.  I really
am a nice guy, mentally insert smileys wherever necessary.  (:-)

A new prefix had opened up in San Diego, and I got the number xyz-y000
(that's XYZ Y-thousand).  Early that Autumn, Neiman-Marcus
(Needless-Markup to those who know them) opened up shop.  They got
xyz-y100 (XYZ Y-one-hundred) and I started getting their calls on my
answering machine.  The Directory Assistance voice computer didn't say
Y-one-hundred, it said Y-one-oh-oh.  The directory wasn't even printed
yet and anyone who shops at Neiman's isn't worried about how much it
costs to call 411.  I guess a lot of people just presumed that a
status symbol store like Neiman's would have a status symbol phone
number like mine.

Annoyed not with Neiman's but rather with the callers, I endeavored to
discourage them by changing the outgoing message on my answering
machine to an utter fabrication:

"Hello this is Bob, if you're calling for me leave a message at the
beep.  But if you're calling for Neiman-Marcus, a Tragic Explosion has
shut them down until Well Past Christmas so there's no reason to call
back until then."

Well, the message did not produce the intended effect.

When I got home from work the next day there were not two or three of
the usual hangup calls but nearly two dozen!  And, listening to them
they almost all sounded like long distance calls (there was a little
"chirp" at the end).  One local-sounding woman actually took the time
to leave the message in a nasal voice of shocked dismay, (similar to
that of the woman on TV who has fallen and can't get up) "Oh, an
explosion at Neiman's.  How awwwful!".

Having clearly failed to discourage callers, I changed the message back.

The next day at work (How did they get my work number?) I received a
call from an AT&T Longlines Division Account Manager who was most
eager to "help solve Our problem".  She told me that Neiman-Marcus's
was worried and the phrase "fear of bomb threats" found its way into
the conversation!  All the hangups were from people at Neiman's legal
department listening to the content of the message.  They didn't like
it but the message contained no threat.  She wanted me to change the
message and I told her I had already changed it the night before,
which made her happy.  She also wanted me to change my number.  I did
NOT want that.  Neiman's claimed they had already printed up too many
company directories and business cards to change.  I said the problem
was only the number that DA gave out -- they didn't have to reprint
anything.  Just give out a less error-prone number to their apparently
error-prone customers.  I spoke with some VP at Neiman's, even.  No
dice.

I finally changed (for free) my number to abc-1200.  Everyone was very
very gracious.  The VP was so apologetic about "all this
inconvenience".  He even encouraged me to come in to the store and
meet him.  I asked about a gift certificate.  He said "No, but did
anyone make any representation to you that you would receive one?"
Then I got nervy.  I said, "Oh, no, not at all.  I just think you
should."  Well, they have a fine restaurant he assured me and I could
have a dinner for two there anytime I wanted.  Even a generous tip for
the waitress was included, I made sure.

The dinner was good.  In the end, I was very glad the same thing
hadn't happened with a Woolworth's!

 -- Bob Yazz --  yazz@locus.com   <--lowercase matters to uunet

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (11/07/90)

> When people call the old published Sears number, XYB-2451, they get an
> intercept: "The number you have reached, XYB-2451 has been disconnected;
> calls are being taken by XYA-5600..."

If the intercept is individually recorded, rather than synthesized, it
could be helpful to have the recording redone with emphasis on the
first changed digit.  "...are being taken by ex why EH five six..."

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com

IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.edu (Andy Jacobson) (11/09/90)

In TELECOM Digest V10 #796: Bob Yazz <yazz@locus.com>writes:

>A new prefix had opened up in San Diego, and I got the number xyz-y000
>(that's XYZ Y-thousand).  Early that Autumn, Neiman-Marcus
>(Needless-Markup to those who know them) opened up shop.  They got
>xyz-y100 (XYZ Y-one-hundred) and I started getting their calls on my
>answering machine.

>The next day at work (How did they get my work number?) I received a
>call from an AT&T Longlines Division Account Manager who was most
>eager to "help solve Our problem".  She told me that Neiman-Marcus's

>  She also wanted me to change my number.  I did
>NOT want that.  Neiman's claimed they had already printed up too many

>I finally changed (for free) my number to abc-1200.  Everyone was very
>very gracious.  The VP was so apologetic about "all this

Hey, don't do it. If you give up a phone number, next they'll want to
build their store on your house just because their customers drive by
your corner. (Ok, ok, I wont flame.)  But I would never give up a
phone number, especially a good one like that

Let me tell you how I deal with a similar situation.  My number is
213-X9Y-X000 in west L.A.. The Shadydump hotel in Marina Del Ray has
listed 213-X0Y-X000. Because their customers are ignorant of NXX's
having 1 or 0 as second digit (they must still be living back in the
days when area codes were .... well ... you know ... area codes),
they're somehow convinced that they wrote down a "9", when it really
is "0". I really can't otherwise see how they could convert zero into
a nine. Well, I really enjoy making reservations for them at $99.99 a
night single occupancy.

Then there was the woman who before even saying hello at 4:45AM
announced that she was calling from West Germany (Aaaah, now a
chance for the LD carrier to gouge away.my revenge )
-and wanted to conf-- ... I told her in no uncertain terms that she
had the wrong number and summarily hung up on her. Well, she called
back_twice_ (Hey, its her deutschmark!)

The second time I told her in even less uncertain terms. The third
time I just answered politely with the name of the hotel, and put her
on hold. Four or five minutes later her patience timed out. She tried
back again (brilliant!) This time she got the ring"XXXXXhotelholdplease"
softclick response. Another four minutes of that winking LED, that got
rid of her good!  Let's see, that's about four 'first minutes', and
eight additional from FRG, and its the middle of the afternoon there.

My opinion is : F***em! If Neiman Markup, or Snears has dumb
customers, take their orders! Take their credit card numbers! Tell
them what the prices are. Tell them where the store is located!  When
they wind up at the city dump, they have no one to blame but
themselves. You have every right to give 'em grief. The stores have
 ___NO___ right to even suggest that you change your number.

Remember, their stock is trading on the AMEX, not yours.  You're
trying to live your life. Make the most of it. If the stupid customers
ever get to the store, let'em beat up the manager. If it's in their
business interest to not lose customers, and not tie up management,
they'll make the effort to straighten people out. Then again, maybe
the store would be willing to pay you a fat monthly fee to redirect
their lost sheep. You might just let them know what their options are.

Another point raised was:

>The Directory Assistance voice computer didn't say Y-one-hundred, it
>said Y-one-oh-oh.

I don't know how 411 gives it, but it seems that the bell system
intercept can say things like "XY  hundred" and "X  thousand."
The GTE one here does not.

[Moderator's Note: We had a series of messages on this some time back,
with people who received the wrong number calls deliberatly giving
phalse and misleading information to the caller. Some people thought
it was very unethical to deliberatly give phalse information to the
person who dialed a wrong number. But still, it can be a nuisance when
there are a lot of calls like that. My new technique is to let them
hang up, then punch *69 and call them back, advising them to take care
in the future with their dialing. That really freaks them out since
they wonder how I could possibly have known their number!   PAT]

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/10/90)

In article <14374@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David
Tamkin) writes:

> This is no 100% cure-all solution, but it may help: as long as Dave
> and Dan have an answering machine, they should start their OGM with,
> "Sears Roebuck & Co.'s telephone number has been changed to XYA-5600;

Perhaps the following would prove useful:

"If you have a problem and want BETTER service, call J .C. Penney at
xxx.xxxx"

Followed, after a modestly long pause, by some suitable message for
callers to Dave or Dan.

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (11/11/90)

David Tamkin writes:

|"If you have a problem and want BETTER service, call J .C. Penney at
|xxx.xxxx"

|Followed, after a modestly long pause, by some suitable message for
|callers to Dave or Dan.

When Carterphone first hit, lots of garbage answering machines showed
up all at one. [Come to think of it, there STILL are lots of garbage
 -- but I digress] Well it seem that the local rep. for one of the
International Record Carriers (those folks that carry intl. Telex,
telegrams, etc, traffic) called up his competitor and got an answering
machine. Hmmmm, what's this? What neat things does it do?

For MANY weeks afterwards, Company A's OGM said:

	We're busy, call Company B

I do not imagine that *that* machine was used for long ;-}

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu    (305) 255-RTFM