[comp.dcom.telecom] Copy of Videotape Wanted

STREETER@uga.cc.uga.edu (Tom Streeter) (11/10/90)

Several months ago at the Nat'l Association of Broadcasters (NAB)
convention in Atlanta, there were several panels featuring
representatives from various RBOCs talking about their plans for
broadband video delivery into the home.  At one panel (which I
unfortunately missed) a tape was shown which featured a demo of a
proposed service.  I think it was produced by Northern Telecom (but I
could well be in error on that). It caused a bit of a stir among some
broadcast station owners who were not really aware of the potential
for such services.

Does anyone have any info on how I could track down this tape (or
others like it)?  It would be helpful for a class I'm teaching next
term.

Tom Streeter
streeter@uga.cc.uga.edu

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/12/90)

Tom Streeter <STREETER@uga.cc.uga.edu> writes:

> Several months ago at the Nat'l Association of Broadcasters (NAB)
> convention in Atlanta, there were several panels featuring
> representatives from various RBOCs talking about their plans for
> broadband video delivery into the home.

Unfortunately, I don't have the info you want, but I'm glad you
brought this up. Coincidently, a number of us have been subjected to
the self-serving arguments from both the RBOCs and the Cable Clowns.

An insert in the Falcon Cable bill (Victorville) decried the
possibility of allowing telcos to carry video to homes. The gist was
that if they were allowed a foot in the door, then they would put the
valient traditional cable companies out of business and then would
jack up rates. While there may be a shred of truth here, no cable
company that I have seen has a whole lot of room to talk about
"value".  Most of them have removed the "import" channels (remember
why we used to subscribe to cable?) and replaced them with stuff off
the satelite that they either get paid to carry or can charge
subscribers to view. At night, these channels carry one "infomercial"
after another. So does broadcast TV, but we'll talk about the demise
of broadcasting slime some other day.

In essence, cable TV has a soft, cushy racket. The quality of service
is steadily going down and the price is going up. Why would they be
motivated to have it any other way? Most of the audience is captive.

On the other side of the aisle, there is the spectre of cable
companies (and others) supplying dial tone. RBOCs are so terrified of
this that they won't even admit publically that this is possible. If
this could come about, then maybe stodgy Pac*Bell could get a kick in
the posterior. While Patrick is talking about nailing nuisance callers
with '*69', we in Pac*Belland are lucky to get dial tone off of 35
year-old crossbar switches. Ironically, I just came back from the
rural desert area that is served by Contel -- and digital switches
loaded with features and services. GTE will put an end to that soon.

This is not to mention all of the currently self-serving tarrifs that
are in place. I have been informed that there are no more pairs
currently available to get additional lines into my home. Could it be
delivered on T1? Sure, but it would cost $300/month PLUS all of the
normal phone charges. What? Use two pairs to do the work of fourteen,
saving all that EXPENSIVE copper, and the customer has to pay for it?

It is fascinating to watch these two players go at it. Each is capable
of providing the service of the other but regulations currently stand
in the way. Wouldn't it be fun to watch telcos and cable companies go
toe to toe? Things could be a lot better -- in both arenas!

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: It sounds to me like you are wishing a plague on
both their houses!  :)   PAT]