[comp.dcom.telecom] DTMF Decoder Wanted

steve@tessi.uucp (Steve Willoughby) (10/31/90)

I'm playing around with building a circuit that will, among other
things, (try to) recognize DTMF tones played into it.  An example
application of this would be to make your own voice-mail system (the
circuit would look for DTMF keypad keys pressed on the incoming line
and signal a CPU to do something, like play or record a message.)

The problem is that I can't seem to find any references to
DTMF-decoder chips or schematics of discrete-component circuits to do
this function.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Willoughby N7PFJ
steve@aardvark.pdx.com
(sun.com!nosun!tessi
     !aardvark!steve)

meier@uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) (11/02/90)

In article <14220@accuvax.nwu.edu> Steve Willoughby <aardvark!
steve@tessi.uucp> writes:

>I'm playing around with building a circuit that will, among other
>things, (try to) recognize DTMF tones played into it.  An example
>application of this would be to make your own voice-mail system (the
>circuit would look for DTMF keypad keys pressed on the incoming line
>and signal a CPU to do something, like play or record a message.)

Mitel Semiconductor has an integrated DTMF receiver chip, MT8870.
This should do the trick.

In North America, call 1-800-267-6244.  In Portland, try Time
Electronics, (503) 684-3780.

Rolf Meier    Mitel Corporation

segal@uunet.uu.net (Gary Segal) (11/05/90)

mitel!spock!meier@uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) writes:

>In article <14220@accuvax.nwu.edu> Steve Willoughby writes:

>>I'm playing around with building a circuit that will, among other
>>things, (try to) recognize DTMF tones played into it.  An example
>>application of this would be to make your own voice-mail system (the
>>circuit would look for DTMF keypad keys pressed on the incoming line
>>and signal a CPU to do something, like play or record a message.)

>Mitel Semiconductor has an integrated DTMF receiver chip, MT8870.
>This should do the trick.

Before this turns into a shouting match by all of the people that make
DTMF decoders, please note that Mitel is not the only company that
makes them.  Of course, I'd like to see you use the Motorola chip
(MC145436), but it sounds like your best bet is to go to your local
Radio Shack and buy whatever manufacturer happens to be in the bubble
pack.

Gary Segal	...!uunet!motcid!segal		+1-708-632-2354
Motorola INC., 1501 W. Shure Drive, Arlington Heights IL, 60004
The opinions expressed above are those of the author, and do not consititue
the opinions of Motorola INC.

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (11/05/90)

In article <14220@accuvax.nwu.edu>, aardvark!steve@tessi.uucp (Steve
Willoughby) writes:

> The problem is that I can't seem to find any references to
> DTMF-decoder chips or schematics of discrete-component circuits to do
> this function.  Any help would be appreciated.

Check with Teltone.  They sell touchtone receivers.  You could also
talk to SSI (Silicon Systems), although I don't remember their
address.  They are in southern California.  There is an application
circuit for the SSI chip on page 34-3 of the 1990 ARRL Handbook.

Stay away from circuits in the older ham radio literature that use
567s and discrete components.

Here is how to get in touch with Teltone:

Teltone Corp.
10801 120th Ave. NE
Kirkland, WA  98033

206-827-9626

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544        Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

gauthier@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul Gauthier) (11/05/90)

In article <14326@accuvax.nwu.edu> tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:

>In article <14220@accuvax.nwu.edu>, aardvark!steve@tessi.uucp (Steve
>Willoughby) writes:

>> The problem is that I can't seem to find any references to
>> DTMF-decoder chips or schematics of discrete-component circuits to do
>> this function.  Any help would be appreciated.

Check one of the recent issues of {Radio & Electronics} at your local
library. One of their recent projects was a board for IBMs which allow
detection of DTMF sounds and other pretty nifty control features of
the phone line. Schematics, pinouts, traces, etc are all in the
article.  I'm not sure which month it was in. I also believe a source
for a complete kit was listed in the article.

PG

gauther@ug.cs.dal.ca
tyrant@ac.dal.ca
tyrant@dalac.bitnet

art@wciu.edu (Art Nicolaysen) (11/06/90)

In article <14377@accuvax.nwu.edu> gauthier@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul
Gauthier) writes:

>Check one of the recent issues of {Radio & Electronics} at your local
>library.

Also, try the April 1982 issue of BYTE, in the "Ciarcia's Circuit
Cellar" column.  A DTMF decoder project discusses alternate design
schemes, includes schematics.  BYTE Publications also issued a series
of books that included the Circiut Cellar projects.

Art Nicolaysen          William Carey Int'l University (Global Mapping)
art@wciu.edu            Pasadena CA 91104

meier@uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) (11/06/90)

In article <14327@accuvax.nwu.edu> motcid!segal@uunet.uu.net (Gary
Segal) writes:

>Before this turns into a shouting match by all of the people that make
>DTMF decoders, please note that Mitel is not the only company that
>makes them.  Of course, I'd like to see you use the Motorola chip
>(MC145436), but it sounds like your best bet is to go to your local
>Radio Shack and buy whatever manufacturer happens to be in the bubble
>pack.

I don't know about Radio Shack in the U.S., but in Canada they have
the habit of selling components which are "seconds".  I suggest that
you go to a qualified distributor/representative if you want quality
components, be it Mitel, Motorola, or whoever.  Ever notice how little
ESD protection there is in the Radio Shack packages?

Rolf Meier	Mitel Corporation

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/06/90)

Willoughby) writes:

> The problem is that I can't seem to find any references to
> DTMF-decoder chips or schematics of discrete-component circuits to do
> this function.  Any help would be appreciated.

Get the chip handbooks from several of the major chip houses. There
are often seperate handbooks for telecom devices. There are plenty of
TT chips made.

If you are just tinkering, go to Radio Shack. They have TT decode
chips, but are hardly where you need to go if you are going to make a
product.

BTW, just use a DTMF decode chip. DON'T try to do it yourself.

phil@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Phil Weinberg SPS) (11/07/90)

In article <14220@accuvax.nwu.edu>, aardvark!steve@tessi.uucp (Steve
Willoughby) is quoted as saying earlier:

> The problem is that I can't seem to find any references to
> DTMF-decoder chips or schematics of discrete-component circuits to do
> this function.  Any help would be appreciated.

Motorola Semiconductor makes a DTMF decoder chip called the MC145436.
It's available in a DIP package as a MC145436P ($3.09/each) or in a
surface mount version MC145436DW (also $3.09 each).  It should be
available at your Motorola authorized distributor.

You might want to get a copy of Motorola's Telecommunications Device
Data Book (motorola P/N DL136/D) which has all kind of telecom goodies
(or is that goodys?) that are available as standard off-the- shelf
devices.

No disclaimer.  I work for Motorola Semiconductor and hope you buy
bunches of our circuits!!

<< Usual Disclaimer >>
Phil Weinberg @ Motorola Semiconductor, Sunnyvale, CA 94086-5395
UUCP:  {hplabs, mot,} !mcdcup!phil
Telephone:  +1 408-991-7385

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (11/10/90)

In article <14411@accuvax.nwu.edu>, BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F.
Bruce) writes:

> If you are just tinkering, go to Radio Shack. They have TT decode
> chips, but are hardly where you need to go if you are going to make a
> product.

Radio Shack no longer carries the SSI DTMF receiver.  But you can
contact SSI directly at 714-731-7110.  Or you can get Teltone's DTMF
receiver from them at 206-827-9626.

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (11/12/90)

In article <14544@accuvax.nwu.edu> tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:

>Radio Shack no longer carries the SSI DTMF receiver.  But you can
>contact SSI directly at 714-731-7110.  Or you can get Teltone's DTMF
>receiver from them at 206-827-9626.

Hmm ... check your local Radio Schlocks anyway! Just today I saw three
or four1 of the DTMF decoder chips on the clearance racks in a local
Schlock for, oh, 4.95 or so (the original price was a little above
$10.00).

Disclaimer: Any opinions above (or below) have nothing to do with reality.
John R. Murray   murray@vsjrm.scri.fsu.edu   Supercomputer Research Inst.