[comp.dcom.telecom] Call-Waiting Disable

SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun Baheti <SABahe@Macalstr.EDU>) (11/10/90)

I'm having trouble disabling the call waiting feature in the Twin
Cities area.  While the standard methods (*70 and 1170) are listed in
the phone book, and the phone company claims vehmently that these
methods will work, I continue to receive "call not completed" messages
whenever I try.  The normal methods work in SoCal (Pac*Tel), so I am
beginning to wonder ... Does anyone else have experience with the Twin
Cities system?

[Moderator's Note: Two assumptions are in order: (1) You *do* have
Call Waiting on the line in question (not just 'think you do'), and
(2) the serving CO is equipped with the proper generics. For example,
here in the Illinois Bell LATA almost everyone has *70 available. But
the folks in Mor(t)on Grove -- Moron Grove is the sister city of the
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, yuk, yuk! -- do not have it. The
generics on their switch are different.  PAT]

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (11/12/90)

SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun Baheti <SABahe@Macalstr.EDU>) writes:

> I'm having trouble disabling the call waiting feature in the Twin
> Cities area.  While the standard methods (*70 and 1170) are listed in
> the phone book, and the phone company claims vehmently that these
> methods will work, I continue to receive "call not completed" messages
> whenever I try.  The normal methods work in SoCal (Pac*Tel), so I am
> beginning to wonder ... Does anyone else have experience with the Twin
> Cities system?

I think I qualify. The line I use (which actually belongs to a
roommate, else the damnable feature wouldn't be there at all) has
Call-Waiting. It is indeed 100% fatal to a modem connection. I have no
problem, though, disabling it with *70. In fact, my outbound UUCP poll
batch file can be told whether or not the poll is 'nukeable' and will
select the dialing prefix accordingly.

Pat's note is timely ... do you _actually_ have Call-Waiting on your
line? (i.e. have you ever been C-W beeped during a conversation?) If
you are simply losing modem connections, perhaps the problem lies
elsewhere.

Roy M. Silvernail
now available at:
cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu

georgep@vice.ico.tek.com (George Pell) (11/12/90)

In article <14557@accuvax.nwu.edu> SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun Baheti
<SABahe@Macalstr.EDU>) writes:

+I'm having trouble disabling the call waiting feature in the Twin
+Cities area.

+[Moderator's Note: Two assumptions are in order: (1) You *do* have
+Call Waiting on the line in question (not just 'think you do'), and
+(2) the serving CO is equipped with the proper generics.

Actually, there is one more assumption to be made, and that is that
disable call waiting is included in your call waiting package.

This is not the case with GTE here in the Pacific Northwest.  I have
to pay $1 a month extra for Cancel Call Waiting.

geo

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (11/12/90)

Here's a toy for those systems that can't get call-waiting to disable.
Feel free to hack on this (I was always one for taking the hardest
path to a solution):

1 '
2 'CW.BAS
5 'This short program solves the problem of call waiting interrupting
6 'a communications session. Just run this before your communcations
7 'program. It remains in effect until you reset your Hayes Smartmodem.
8 '
10 'NOTE: I think I found this on CompuServe quite a while ago.
11 'Submitted by ralphs@halcyon.uucp with absolutely no gurantees.
12 'Keep flames at home.  Check your smoke detector.
13 '
30 COLOR 15,9
31 CLS:LOCATE 12,18
32 PRINT CHR$(7);"Setting Hayes Smartmodem 1200 for Call Waiting"
35 OUT 1020,4:GOSUB 110:OUT 1020,3:GOSUB 110
40 OPEN "COM1:1200,N,8,1,DS" AS #1:GOSUB 110
50 MSG$="ATS10=100"+CHR$(13):GOSUB 100:GOSUB 110
70 CLOSE
71 LOCATE 12,1:PRINT SPACE$(80)
72 LOCATE 12,22:PRINT CHR$(7);"Now execute comm program"
80 SYSTEM
100 FOR X=1 TO LEN(MSG$):PRINT #1,MID$(MSG$,X,1);:NEXT
110 FOR X=1 TO 1500:NEXT
120 RETURN
125 '
130 ' Line 35: Port 1020 (3FC) is the MCR (Modem Control Register). The
131 '          bits are described on page 6-9 of the Hayes Smartmodem
132 '          1200 manual. First CALLWAIT sends a 4, which enables the
133 '          interrupt line drivers, and allows the UART to interrupt
134 '          the controller. If there are any problems with the serial
135 '          port, this command should generate some kind of error.
136 '          OUT 1020,3 will reset the modem and is equivalent to
137 '          power off/power on. This must be held for at least 50 ms.
138 '          This is done using the timing loop at line 110.
139 '
140 ' Line 40: Open the COM1 port for 1200 baud, no parity and 8 bit words
141 '          using buffer #1.
142 '
143 ' Line 50: Sends a command to the modem. The AT is the ATtention code,
144 '          which must precede all modem commands. The S10=100 is
145 '          described on page 6-7 of the manual. It allows the carrier
146 '          signal to momentarily disappear. The S10=100 sets the time
147 '          interval for which the carrier may be lost. This interval
148 '          is adjustable in tenths of a second.

[Moderator's Note: This of course simply sets one of the S Registers
to a longer time out value ... long enough that the call waiting tone
won't disconnect you, although it may very well damage the data
getting transferred at the same moment. The other hangup (pun intended)
is how do you get the *other end* to hang around for those
milliseconds while you are gone? In the situation where this program
would be the most helpful -- calling a BBS -- wouldn't the sysop of
that board have to have the modem on that end likewise adjusted before
the adjustment on your end would be of any real help?  PAT]

amb@ai.mit.edu (Andrew Boardman) (11/12/90)

>[Moderator's Note: This of course simply sets one of the S Registers
>to a longer time out value ... long enough that the call waiting tone
>won't disconnect you, although it may very well damage the data
>getting transferred at the same moment. The other hangup (pun intended)
>...how do you get the *other end* to hang around for those
>milliseconds while you are gone?

Most dialup services in my neck of the woods do configure their modems
in this manner.

Consider: when making a voice call, the CW tone momentarily disrupts
the connection with noise.  You have the option of ansewring or
ignoring.  When making a data call, you still get a disruptive burst
of noise, allowing you the option of terminating your connection
gracefully to answer or ignoring it.  The functionality is maintained.