[comp.dcom.telecom] GENIE Information

dbb@aicchi.chi.aic.com (Ben Burch) (11/13/90)

In article <14534@accuvax.nwu.edu> mcglk@bailey.cpac.washington.edu
(Ken McGlothlen) writes:

>The only semi-useful thing I got out of it was trying to navigate
>EASY SABRE to see if I could reserve an airline ticket.  Again, here,
>the menus were poorly organized, frequently *almost* redundant (to
>wit, two menus allowed you to see *exactly* the same information,
>except for one little item -- I had to abort the reservation process
>and go off to inspect the flight number again), and in general,
>barely useful.

I have been a GENIE subscriber for some years (And have no other
connection with them.)  Recently, perhaps in response to Prodigy, they
began charging a flat $4.95 per month rate for a number of the core
services like E-mail and the non-profession, non-computer related
bboards, and the non-multiplayer games.  These they group as "*STAR
Services".  Also under this flat fee is EASY SABRE and the Groliers
Electronic Encyclopedia.  Access to other services (downloads,
multiplayer games, chat-like stuff) is billed at $6 per hour at 300
through 2400 baud.

The Macintosh libraries, and product support libraries have been
really quite useful to me in the past, although I never spent any time
with the non-computer stuff until it became "free".  Having spent
some time playing with the Groliers and Easy Sabre, and etc, I feel it
is worth my $4.95 per month.  Also, there are very few online ads
(mostly in the one page login bulletins) although they do have a range
of electronic shopping services.

You might check it out.

Ben Burch   bb@aicchi.chi.aic.com