[comp.dcom.telecom] Charging For Incomplete Calls

hes@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) (11/13/90)

In article <14594@accuvax.nwu.edu> Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.
fidonet.org writes:

>o Unbundling of charges and nickle-diming.  Contrary to the fact that
>  yes, it may USE certain resources, since day one, it's been
>  CUSTOMARY in the telephone industry NOT to charge for such things
>  as busy signals, no-answers, call setup time, etc.  ...

>[Moderator's Note: ...  I'd look for
>the day to come when telco begins charging for incomplete call
>attempts just like some of the cell guys do now, saying it uses up
>resources to attempt to make the connection, etc.  PAT]

  There has been a custom, rooted in history, of not charging for
events which could be the fault of the phone company.  This saves an
enormous amount of controversy and wear and tear on good will of the
telco.  Dialing and receiving a reorder does indicate use of some
telco resources, but also may indicate a telco problem (e.g.,
insufficient resources, fault in switching, ... .)

Charging for this would cause resentment far beyond the amount of
revenue it would generate.  An example of this is the public attitude
towards charges for no answer (due to lack of supervision available to
some of the LD providers.)

  Because of this I predict that the telco and cell providers will all
charge only for services actually (sucessfully) rendered.

henry schaffer  n c state univ

[Moderator's Note: There have been many 'customs rooted in history'
where the telcos in general, and the Bell System in particular are
concerned. The judge tossed all that out in one fell swoop. History
and traditions be damned, you might say. In the whole industry nothing
works the way it used to. I'd like to think you are correct; it is
very important than you be correct ... but I think we are going to see
more and more rip-offs of an unsophisticated public. I do not mean
Digest readers; I mean John Q. Public.  PAT]