[comp.dcom.telecom] Massachusetts DPU Fees for COCOT Innfo

carols@world.std.com (Carol Springs) (11/07/90)

A few weeks ago, I sent a letter to the Massachusetts DPU in which I
expressed interest in receiving a copy of the tariff governing the
operation of COCOTs in Massachusetts.  I said that I was especially
interested in knowing whether COCOTs here are required to provide
equal access via 10xxx and free access to 1-800 and 950 numbers.  I
asked to be notified about any charges associated with my request.

Today I received on my voice mail a message from "Ciss" ("Sis"?) at
the Mass. DPU saying that they had a "package" of info for me, for
which the cost would be $45 if I wanted it.  I immediately phoned to
cancel my request.  Ciss seemed to have anticipated my reply.  The
conversation was brief since I didn't feel like pursuing my more
general questions at that point.

Anyhow, if some more generous person than I wants to contribute $45 to
the cause of hard facts on Massachusetts COCOTs, they can call Ciss at
the Massachusetts DPU to order the package.  Or has anyone found ways
around this charge?

Carol Springs                      carols@world.std.com

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/13/90)

In article <14471@accuvax.nwu.edu>, carols@world.std.com (Carol
Springs) writes:

> the Mass. DPU saying that they had a "package" of info for me, for
> which the cost would be $45 if I wanted it.  I immediately phoned to

The Attorney General's Office maintains a consumer info service that
is geared to getting info out of stubborn other agencies and giving it
to the requesting consumer. I have gotten DPU stuff before this way
when there was NO charge but NO WAY to get it other than going and
reading it there.

They got it internally and simply sent me copies!