[comp.dcom.telecom] Zone Maps are Desireable

IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.edu (Andy Jacobson) (11/03/90)

In Telecom Digest V. 10 #780 Laird P. Broadfield <lairdb@crash.
cts.com> writes:

>I've traveled to a couple of cities (I _think_
>St.  Louis, MO was one) where the telephone book included a one-page
>reference that translated the centrex number to a city map (i.e. you
>want to know what part of the city 234-xxxx is in, so you look in
>the table, and it says "234 ... area 17" so you look at the map, and
>there's a little squiggly shape with 17 marked in it.)

Well, Cincinatti Bell (Not part of the old AT&T, and thus never
actually divested) does just that in their directory. They also list a
small number of prefixes right around the river that can be reached
from either the Ohio(513) or Kentucky(606) side without dialing the
area code. I assume they can do this as its all within their LATA.
Rather a nifty service if you ask me ... I don't remember what the
prefixes are, but I wonder if you could reach those numbers from
outside the LATA by dialing either 513- or 606- area codes.

     A. Jacobson

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (11/13/90)

In article <14382@accuvax.nwu.edu>, IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.edu (Andy
Jacobson) writes:

> Well, Cincinatti Bell (Not part of the old AT&T, and thus never
> actually divested) does just that in their directory. They also list a
> small number of prefixes right around the river that can be reached
> from either the Ohio(513) or Kentucky(606) side without dialing the
> area code. I assume they can do this as its all within their LATA.
> Rather a nifty service if you ask me ... I don't remember what the
> prefixes are, but I wonder if you could reach those numbers from
> outside the LATA by dialing either 513- or 606- area codes.

That has been done in many places, where a local calling area
straddles an area-code boundary.  I lived in the Washington DC metro
area for the first twenty years of my life.  Throughout that period,
(well, going back to when DDD and area codes first turned up!) the
local calling area included all of the DC (202), and portions of MD
(301) and VA (703).  Calls within the local calling area could always
be dialed with seven digits, even if you were crossing two area code
boundaries (such as from Prince George's County, MD (East of DC) to
McLean, VA (West of DC)).  It used to be possible to reach numbers in
the Maryland suburbs from far away by dialing either 301 or 202.

In the Washington area, that has just changed.  It is now necessary to
dial the area code when placing local calls which cross the area code
boundaries.  This frees up all of the prefixes in 202 for assignment
in the 301 area code.  It also frees up the prefixes in the nearby
Maryland suburbs for assignment within the District.  They haven't
needed an area code split, but they needed a dialing plan change to
accomodate growth.

There are probably lots of other areas where local calls which cross
an area code boundary can (or could) be dialed with seven digits.  Can
anybody point to other places where this is/was done.  Have others
changed as the DC has recently?

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857