[comp.dcom.telecom] GTE Mobilnet Restricts International Dialing Nationwide

ghg@en.ecn.purdue.edu (George Goble) (11/07/90)

I received notice last month that GTE Mobilnet was dropping the
ability to direct dial international calls from cell phones, even if
you were roaming on somebody else's system.

All they cited was rising "fraud".  The notice said that operator made
calls on credit card, etc. would still be possible though.

What kind of "fraud" do you think is going on?  I thought "bandit"
roamers and all that were pretty well under control with "positive
verification" now?  The local switch engineers say that bandits can
sometimes get one call off before being shutdown (maybe a long one?)
All the local switch operators knew about the dialing restriction was
that it was "national", and they were not given a reason other than
what we got.  Just think of all the scanner bait of people passing
credit card numbers on voice now!  This sounds far less secure to me,
but "somebody else" gets stuck with the charges, not Mobilnet.

ghg

[Moerator's Note: The more I think about it, the more I realize what a
good deal Ameritech Cellular is: very inexpensive rates and an
excellent signal. Re international dialing on GTE, I suspect you will
still be able to zero plus the calls through the desired carrier; i.e.
01 + overseas number + calling card number. While you can't fool all
the phreaks all the time, translating the sounds of a card number
being entered requires more effort than copying down with a pencil
what you hear on the scanner when a subscriber passes the card number
to an operator.  PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/13/90)

George Goble <pur-ee!ghg@en.ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

> I received notice last month that GTE Mobilnet was dropping the
> ability to direct dial international calls from cell phones, even if
> you were roaming on somebody else's system.

A call to Mobilnet's "competition", Cellular One (PacTel/McCaw)
reveals that company allows international dialing. They also informed
me that if I wanted to switch and break my "Business Club" contract
with Mobilnet, they would help me. Business Club is Mobilnet's way of
tying you into a year-at-a-time service commitment. You agree to stay
on for a year (automatically renewable) and they will give you all
custom calling and $5.50 off the normal monthly charge. Even if you
don't use the custom calling, it's worth it to save on the monthly.

Anyway, according to the Cellular One rep, by eliminating the
international dialing, Mobilnet has themselves broken the contract in
that you are getting less service than you signed up for. Then I
called Mobilnet and pointed out that I was unable to place an
international call the night before. She confirmed that due to "roamer
fraud", it was necessary to restrict international dialing. She
indicated that someone would call me back. Since this was obviously a
front line person with no horsepower, I saved the speech.

When I get that call back, I will point out that taking the easy way
out and penalizing the customer is the least acceptable option. Why
doesn't Cellular One have this problem? The answer could lie in the
fact that unlike Mobilnet, Cellular One allows equal access. The
customer deals directly with his long distance company and if there is
any LD dispute, Cellular One is left out of the discussion and not
holding the bag. My question will be to the Mobilnet rep, "Why doesn't
Mobilnet allow equal access?"

I haven't decided whether or not to actually switch carriers yet.
GTE's attitude, as usual, is reprehensible. On the other hand, I make
maybe 2 or 3 international calls per year and switching my TWO cell
phones is a pain in the rear. The MicroTac I can do myself but the
6000 has the wrong head for self-programming. Perhaps I'll make that
decision based on what this Mobilnet person says when my call is
returned tomorrow.

> [Moerator's Note: The more I think about it, the more I realize what a
> good deal Ameritech Cellular is: very inexpensive rates and an
> excellent signal. Re international dialing on GTE, I suspect you will
> still be able to zero plus the calls through the desired carrier; i.e.
> 01 + overseas number + calling card number.

Patrick, it must be nice living in civilization. You have superior
cellular service for a fraction of what we get reamed here. I just
called my deep throat at Pac*Bell and found out that my crossbar MAY be
replaced AS EARLY AS December, 1991. Think about that next time you
play with your CLASS features! You are correct: international can be
dialed '01+' and you get ka-bonged. And wonder of wonders, Sprint
didn't even block my test call to Japan through their 800 number from
my cell phone!

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !