[comp.dcom.telecom] British Telecom Special Service Codes

clive@x.co.uk (Clive Feather) (11/07/90)

I recently took up a free trial of some of British Telecom "Star
Services". I was sent two manuals, one for "System X" (the local
exchange equipment), and one for the AXE 10 (a.k.a "System Y") (which
is apparently in use in some areas). These manuals listed the access
codes for all services available.

This table gives all the codes listed in the manuals. See below for
key to abbreviations. Note that all codes end in #, parameters to the
codes are mostly separated by *, and that "check" and "cancel" codes
have the same code number but a different prefix to the "set up"
codes.

Set up features:

[CD]      *21*n#     Divert all calls (dial tone changes)
[CB]      *261#      Bar incoming calls (dial tone changes)
[CB]      *34x#      Bar outgoing calls
    [AX]  *40*n      Charge advice (exchange calls back after the call ends)
    [SX]  *40*n#     Charge advice (ditto)
          *411#      Charge advice on all future calls (ditto)
[CW]      *43#       Set up call waiting
[CC]      *51*c*n#   Set up abbreviated calling code
          *55*t#     Set up reminder call
    [SX]  *56*t*d#   Set up regular reminder call (unlimited number of these)
[CD]      *61*n#     Divert on no reply (dial tone changes)
[CD]      *67*n#     Divert on busy (dial tone changes)

Calling code calls:

[CC]      **c        Calling code call
[CC]      **0        Redial last number (excluding calling code calls)

Status checks on settings:

    [SX]  *#001#     Check which services are active
[CD]      *#21#      Check diversion status and number
[CB]      *#261#     Check barring of incoming calls (i.e. on or off)
[CB]      *#34#      Check barring of outgoing calls (i.e. on or off)
[CW]      *#43#      Check call waiting (i.e. on or off)
[CC]      *#51*c#    Check calling code
          *#55#      Check reminder calls
    [SX]  *#56#      Check regular reminder calls
[CD]      *#61#      Check divert on no reply status and number
[CD]      *#67#      Check divert on busy status and number

Cancel features:

[CD]      #21#       Cancel diversion
[CB][AX]  #261*p#    Cancel barring of incoming calls
[CB][SX]  #261#      Cancel barring of incoming calls
[CB]      #34x*p#    Cancel barring of outgoing calls
          #411#      Cancel charge advice on all calls
[CW]      #43#       Cancel call waiting
[CC]      #51*c#     Cancel calling code
          #55#       Cancel reminder call
    [SX]  #56*t*d#   Cancel regular reminder call
    [SX]  #56#       Cancel all regular reminder calls
[CD]      #61#       Cancel diversion on no reply
[CD]      #67#       Cancel diversion on busy

Pressing the "R" button on some phones causes a "time break" - on
other phones, this can be done by pressing the handset rest switch
*briefly*. This will put your current caller on hold (they get an
announcement) and give you a dial tone. If you are in "one call" state
(the normal situation), then all the above services are available,
plus the following:

          *40#       Turn on charge advice for this call
[3W]      n          Set up second call

If you are in "two call" state (either by setting up a second call, or
because an incoming call is waiting), then the following codes can be
used:

[CW]      0          Reject all waiting calls until this call ends
          1          End this call and switch to the other call
          2          Place this call on hold and switch to the other call
[3W]      3          Change to a 3-party call
[3W]      5          Disconnect original call
[3W]      7          Disconnect second call

The manual does not make it clear whether "disconnect" means put the
call on hold or end it. It also says that you cannot convert a waiting
call to a 3-party call, but this may only apply if you have not paid
for the [3W] service.

If you hang up (clear down) after getting a dialtone through R, and there is
still a call holding, the exchange will ring back.

Key to abbreviations in the table:

  [SX]  System X only
  [AX]  AXE 10 (System Y) only
  [CB]  Call barring service   )
  [CC]  Code calling service   )  There is an extra charge for each of these
  [CD]  Call diversion service )  "packages". Codes not prefixed are part of
  [CW]  Call waiting service   )  standard telephone service.
  [3W]  3-way calling service  )

  c     An abbreviated calling code: [SX] 3 to 29 [AX] 10 to 36.
  d     1 = Monday, 2 = Tuesday, ... 7 = Sunday, 8 = Mon to Fri, 9 = daily.
  n     A standard telephone number.
  p     A 4-digit password notified to the subscriber (cannot be changed).
  t     A time - 4 digits using the 24 hour clock.
  x     1 = all calls except 999 (emergency) and 151 (repairs).
        2 = [SX] all calls except charge rates L and p1.
        2 = [AX] all calls except charge rate L.
        3 = international calls.
        4 = operator services except 999 and 151.
        5 = Star services (except #34 codes).
        6 = [SX] charge rate p1 calls.
        It is permitted to have more than one *34x# in operation.

Clive D.W. Feather     | IXI Limited
clive@x.co.uk          | 62-74 Burleigh St.
Phone: +44 223 462 131 | Cambridge   CB1 1OJ
(USA: 1 800 XDESK 57)  | United Kingdom

olapw@olgb1.oliv.co.uk (Tony Walton) (11/11/90)

clive@x.co.uk (Clive Feather) writes:

>I recently took up a free trial of some of British Telecom "Star
>Services". I was sent two manuals, one for "System X" (the local
>exchange equipment), and one for the AXE 10 (a.k.a "System Y") (which

How on earth did you get hold of this?  It took me about three weeks
to convince my local BT "service" centre that my local exchange (081
446) had become digital. A couple of weeks later they (grudgingly) let
me have a leaflet which mentioned "Charge Advice" and "Reminder Calls"
as being "free" (ie no extra rental).  It did not, however, give
details of the codes needed to access these services.  A few calls
later I found an operator who had heard of *55* and the *40* / *411#
services (reminder calls and charge advice calls).  Unfortunately
no-one mentioned *56* (repeated reminder) - this explains the
"spurious" reminder calls I've been getting ever since I played about
with the star services and which BT have been unable to explain :-(

>This table gives all the codes listed in the manuals.

This is exactly what I have been trying to wrench from BT for several
months now.  Thanks, Clive.

Has anybody any idea why BT seem so loath to release any information
about the services which they offer?  As I recall their leaflet made
no reference to call barring (I may be wrong here - I don't have the
leaflet handy).

[Moderator's Note: Is BT a lot like the American telcos in this
respect, that they try to keep their customers from speaking directly
with anyone who actually knows anything? Here in the States, it is a
very fortunate subscriber indeed who can get past the several layers
of supervision in the Business Office and speak with an actual
technician or central office person.  PAT]

jr@inset.com (Jim R Oldroyd) (11/13/90)

Recently, olapw@olgb1.oliv.co.uk wrote:

> clive@x.co.uk (Clive Feather) writes (various bits deleted):

> How on earth did you get hold of this?  It took me about three weeks
> to convince my local BT "service" centre that my local exchange (081
> 446) had become digital. A couple of weeks later they (grudgingly) let
> me have a leaflet which mentioned "Charge Advice" and "Reminder Calls"
> as being "free" (ie no extra rental).  It did not, however, give
> details of the codes needed to access these services.

> Has anybody any idea why BT seem so loath to release any information
> about the services which they offer?  As I recall their leaflet made

> [Moderator's Note: Is BT a lot like the American telcos in this
> respect, that they try to keep their customers from speaking directly
> with anyone who actually knows anything? Here in the States, it is a
> very fortunate subscriber indeed who can get past the several layers
> of supervision in the Business Office and speak with an actual
> technician or central office person.  PAT]

This reminds me of my own experiences with BT, when I lived in London
several years back...

Now, I used to work at Philips TMC - now AT&T/Philips Telecoms (who
make central office switches), so I had access to lots of info about
what switches BT had installed all over the country, and what features
they offered. I later moved to London, to the (then) 01-386 exchange.
Needing tone dialling, I looked in my (now out-of-date) book, and
discovered that 368 did, indeed, support this option.

Well, it took me about nine weeks and 30 or 40 calls to convince the
BT customer service staff that this service really did exist.  In the
end, it was a Senior Supervisor (not just any old Supervisor) who was
able to look up in her manuals the fact that 368 really did support
tone dialling. And it took her about three minutes (while I waited on
the phone) to enable the service.  With delightful grace, she then
waived the #10 change of service fee which would have been applicable!

I did learn one thing from all this.  If you want any real help from
your local BT office (in London, anyway), call the 100 operator and
ask for "XXX Engineering" (where XXX is your exhange).  The operator
will put you straight through, without question.  Once there, ask for
the Senior Technial Engineer - this may take a bit more effort if you
don't know his/her name.  Once you're through, the world's your
oyster!

Enjoy,

Jim

[Moderator's Note: I'm *still* trying to convince repair service
attendants and Business Office people at IBT that I have Call
Screening (*60) on my line. It works fine, usually, but there are a
couple bugs that need attention. But they still insist that I don't
have it on my line. One person today even offered to have it removed
from my bill and credit issued (they do see it on the billing record)
since " ... it is not a service we are offering yet ... and you should
not be paying for something you are not getting ..."  Sigh.    PAT]