[comp.dcom.telecom] CPC / "Wink" Call Termination

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas Scott Reuben) (11/04/90)

Hi-

I'm wondering if anyone here knows exactly (or not so exactly :-) )
what the "wink", or I believe it is sometimes called "CPC" signal is.

I'm referring to the process by which the Central Office switch can
signal a end-user device (an answering machine, for example) that the
calling party has hung up. IE, someone calls my machine, hears the
outgoing message, thinks it is really too long, and just hangs up. The
machine "knows" that the caller has hung up even before it starts
"listening" on the line to see if anyone is recording a message or
not.

I've heard from some sources that this is done with polarity reversal,
and from others that there is just a drop in line current for a brief
momment.  Is either (or both?) correct?

If anyone knows the exact timing (ie, the wink = xxx miliseconds,
etc.) and what voltages are involved, I'd really appreciate hearing
about it. Or, if you'd prefer that I not be so lazy and research it on
my own ( :-) ), could you perhaps steer to the proper sources?? I've
looked in the "Red" Radio Shack book and in my other sources, and have
found nothing dealing with this topic. So just about any info would be
helpful!

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

P.S. Gilbert- ( at Rochelle Com. in Texas) - I've lost my entire mail file
     and could use your address again. Could you please e-mail me at the
     above address? Thanks...

grayt@uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) (11/07/90)

In article <14261@accuvax.nwu.edu> DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas
Scott Reuben) writes:

>I'm wondering if anyone here knows exactly (or not so exactly :-) )
>what the "wink", or I believe it is sometimes called "CPC" signal is.

>I'm referring to the process by which the Central Office switch can
>signal a end-user device (an answering machine, for example) that the
>calling party has hung up. i.e., someone calls my machine, hears the
>outgoing message, thinks it is really too long, and just hangs up. The
>machine "knows" that the caller has hung up even before it starts
>"listening" on the line to see if anyone is recording a message or
>not.

>I've heard from some sources that this is done with polarity reversal,
>and from others that there is just a drop in line current for a brief
>moment.  Is either (or both?) correct?

The problem described here occurs on loop start lines on which no
answer supervision is provided. A call is answerd by a machine The
answering machine needs an indication that the far end has
disconnected.  In the absence of answer supervision, how is this done?

Normally for non-answer supervision loops a service can be provided in
which the impedance of the loop is raised above 15K ohms for a short
period of time. This has the effect of lowering the loop current below
the off hook threshhold. Answering equipment can be designed to detect
the absence of loop current on a disconnect signal.  The usual means of
providing this service is to open the tip (A lead for non North
Americans) with a relay. in effect, the CO is providing the disconnect
signal normally provided on a ground start trunk on a loop start
service.

Naturally if answer supervision is provided on a loop. Far end
disconnect is indicated by an on hook signal. This is the reversal of
battery mentioned above (assuming that reverse battery signalling is
used).

The service described above (called Cut Off on Disconnect around here)
is the removal of loop current for a few hundred milliseconds. The
exact timimgs of this cut off will vary greatly depending on the type
of equipment installed.

yazz@prodnet.la.locus.com (Bob Yasi) (11/12/90)

> The service described above (called Cut Off on Disconnect around here)
> is the removal of loop current for a few hundred milliseconds. The
> exact timimgs of this cut off will vary greatly depending on the type
> of equipment installed.

My local central office has a DMS (100 or 200?) switch.  The normal
duration of the disconnect signal (called CPC around here) is 800 ms,
or 0.8 seconds.  This "signal" is the electrical equivalent of
unplugging your phone for the specified duration.  You can actually
see it happening if you have a phone that lights up with led's using
the power supplied by the phone line -- the led's turn off from the
lack of power, then come back on again.

But, some answering machines or other "customer provided" equipment
does better with a longer signal.  If you have the same switch as I do
(and maybe even if you don't) you can call repair and they will set a
software option for your telephone line and up the duration to 1200
ms, or 1.2 seconds.  The service reps seemed to know about this as a
general response to "My answering machine acts funny".

In one of the conversations I had with an actual technical person in
the CO, I asked if there were any other "software options" that were
free.  I was told there were none.

   Bob Yazz -- yazz@locus.com

grayt@uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) (11/12/90)

Tom Gray wrote:

>The problem described here occurs on loop start lines on which no
>answer supervision is provided. A call is answerd by a machine The

Tom Gray now humbly writes perhaps I should truly read the question
before I pontificate on telephone loop siganlling. The writer asked a
simple question on how his answering machine worked. I replied with
the mechanisms which would be used by expensive CPE equipment which
needs to eliminate fraud and to maximize the use of trunks. My answer
was true for CPE. For the question on answering machines, the machine
detects the end of the conversation by detecting dial tone. When the
calling party clears, the connection will be broken.  The local office
will time out and regard the off hook from the answering machine as an
origination and provide dial tone.

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (11/13/90)

In article <14617@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>For the question on answering machines, the machine
>detects the end of the conversation by detecting dial tone. When the
>calling party clears, the connection will be broken.  The local office
>will time out and regard the off hook from the answering machine as an
>origination and provide dial tone.

This is not true for all machines.  My Panasonic DOES deal with CPC.
It's really nice not having to listen to dialtone at the end of each
message.  Also, it can even detect a hangup during the play of the
outgoing message.  It stops play immediately, and resets for the next
call.  I've the KX-T1427 model, and it's great!  (Yea, I know, if I
was REALLY hi-tech, I'd have a voice board, but oh well.)