[comp.dcom.telecom] Phone Numbers Indexed by Street Address

wmg@howard.att.com (William M Gilroy) (11/09/90)

I was wondering how and where I would obtain a listing by street of
every telephone number on that street. I want something like this:

    1 Oak st    (201) 555-1212
    2 Oak st    (201) 555-1212
    3 Oak st    (201) 555-1212

I assume that this information is available somewhere.  Can it be
purchased from the phone company (RBOC I guess)?  Or do I purchase it
from some other company.  What forms does it come in (magtape, floppy
disk, paper listing)?  Any pointers will be appreciated.  If there is
enough interest I will summarize to the net, if not I will just mail
the summary to the people who request it.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Gilroy
(908) 949-2566
wmg@pixels.att.com

[Moderator's Note: Criss-cross directories usually have two parts, the
first being a listing like you describe; the second being a listing in
telephone number order. Most public libraries have at the least a copy
of the criss-cross for their own community, frequently in the Business
Department or the Reference Department.  The most prolific publishers
of criss-cross directories are Haynes, R. L. Polk, Dressers, and City
Publishing Company of Independence, KS. CPC seems to be strong with
listings for Florida. Haynes is strong with the northeast US cities.
Donnelly Directory (a subsidiary of several telcos) also has lots of
criss-cross books also.   PAT]

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (11/12/90)

In <14556@accuvax.nwu.edu> wmg@howard.att.com (William M Gilroy)
writes:

>I was wondering how and where I would obtain a listing by street of
>every telephone number on that street. I want something like this:

>    1 Oak st    (201) 555-1212
>    2 Oak st    (201) 555-1212
>    3 Oak st    (201) 555-1212

There are at least two online databases that I know of that can be
subscribed to (at rather high rates) that will give you such info.
However you put in an address, and they then give you the names,
addresses, and phone numbers of eight or ten addresses on both sides.
On the other hand you can put in a phone number, it gives who listed
to, and the same deal on the neighbors if you want it. One database
claims 94 million listings, and the other claims about 114 million
listings. The larger of the two is called "MetroMail" and I "think" it
is operated by a sub of Donnelly..

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/13/90)

In article <14556@accuvax.nwu.edu>, wmg@howard.att.com (William M
Gilroy) writes:

> I was wondering how and where I would obtain a listing by street of
> every telephone number on that street. I want something like this:

With NYNEX's extremely overpriced CDROM based product, one can simply
scan up and down a street. Great fun finding neighbors you never knew
you had.

I don't know what the retreival capabilities of the more reasonably
priced and wider area CDROM listings are.

There is a YELLOW PAGES CDROM that doesn't mention street capability,
but come to think of it that would be GREAT! I often know exactly
WHERE something is, but don't know if it is listed under JUNK or
ELECTRONICS or USED-COMPUTERS, and a street scan would let me
recognise the name or category. Ask the folks at 1-800-45-SPEED for
info if CDROM business listings are of interest.