[comp.dcom.telecom] Real-Time Information Over Networks

goodloe@uunet.uu.net (Tony Goodloe) (11/10/90)

I'm looking for reference works on doing things like voice and
realtime data transmission over non-deterministic networks like
ethernet. Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks,

Tony

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/13/90)

In article <14561@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ingr!b11!b11!goodloe@uunet.uu.net
(Tony Goodloe) writes:

> I'm looking for reference works on doing things like voice and
> realtime data transmission over non-deterministic networks like
> ethernet. Anyone have any pointers?

I am very interested, too, but am looking for working hardware.

The first such thing I would like to find would be a little butt-set
like device capable of plugging into a thin-net BNC, an 10baseT jack,
or an AUI connector on a tranceiver. The simple one should only be
able to 'dial' its mate, presumably elsewhere in the building and
plugged into a PBX extension. One could go off hook and dial from any
wiring closet.

The second device would be much more sophisticated, and would make use
of enough compression to make using several such devices over a
typical office's 56kb internet connection quite feasable. Imagine
signature lines including a phone/voice-mail address that looked like
140.186.64.37!

Anyone know of any?