[comp.dcom.telecom] The Horrors of GTE

IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.edu (Andy Jacobson) (11/13/90)

In TELECOM Digest V10 #810: John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>writes:

>NONE of the responses obtained from GTE personel bear any resemblance
>to reality. From personal experience it is possible to say that if you
>want to determine anything about GTE's system, you will have to use a
>back door approach. It is necessary to befriend a sympathetic employee

Back in March I moved out of the locale my switch served. I wanted to
keep my same number, and I of course with great dread called the GTE
customer service office to inquire how. I was told I could either pay
thousands of dollars one time plus hundreds a month for foreign
exchange service, or I could get the handy feature "Remote Call
Forwarding" (RCF) where my number would be permanently forwarded to a
number of my choosing from the CO in my old neighborhood, but with no
dial tone provided.

On the surface this would seem like the solution.  But as you might
guess, it costs $80 one time, plus $25 a month, plus $0.05 per
forwarded call (measured service).  I _had_ basic non-measured POTS at
$10 a month, and I was moving to the free call zone of the original
switch. How could it be that it was so much more expensive to give me
less service? All they were doing was not giving me a subscriber loop!
As well, the residential CSO wouldn't handle it.  I would have to
completely switch my service to business class. I wasn't running a
business, I just wanted to keep the same phone number on a three mile
move.

It was explained to me that only a business would want to keep their
same number, and then only till the next directory came out. (I love
having GTE tell me what I do not apparently have a right to want.) I
was furious. I remember seeing in a phone book RCF was available for
cheap. It was.  It's called Pac*Bell. I called them up and was told
that I could have it for $5 one time charge, and $2 a month,
residential service, no problems, no questions asked. My number was
unfortunately not in Pac *Bell-land though. How could GTE ream me like
that for the same exact thing that Pac*Bell could do for cheap?

I called the Public Utilities Commission. I explained the situation to
the representative who apologized for being ignorant of what RCF was.
The next day the fully briefed PUC representative told me that GTE
never bothered to file a tariff for residential RCF, just business
class, whereas Pac*Bell did both. So what could I do about it?
Nothing. I can't make GTE file a tariff if they don't want to. I could
file a formal complaint, but because it was not in reference to a
filed tariff, it would most likely disappear in the cracks.  Luckily,
I had a friend in my old neighborhood who has now an extra outgoing
line with free local calling. (The phone has no ringer and I use
regular Call Forwarding).

Maybe a month later, I'm on the phone with an AT&T rep about the cost
effectiveness of buying a PBX. He tells me that the residential
organization I represent could really save big on aggregate buying of
LD service from AT&T (SDN I suppose). But what about local trunks?
Well, if we only were in Pac*Bell land we could have them for $4 and
some change a month. But in GTE land, it's $19.80 for the same damn
thing. He confides in me that he has lost PBX sales in GTE land
because of this factor. Who to? GTE of course! GTE's "CentraNet"
(Centrex).that is, which is aimed at the PBX market, and priced per
line lower than a simple non-DID outgoing trunk!

 Yes, GTE's got you coming and going. No doubt they're using their
predatory power as common carrier to tariff PBX's out of cost
effectiveness. (I should note too that it's not only AT&T's PBX, but
it's also AT&T's 1ESS, and Centrex that GTE is peddling). GTE's edge
however may be short-lived, as according to their CentraNet sales rep,
GTE has no plans to upgrade their 1E switches, and thus no plans to
offer ISDN. (I repeat from an earlier posting GTE = Generic Telephone
Equivalent). All the above being bad enough, GTE's POTS is 10-20% more
expensive than Pac*Bell, and GTE still uses it's status as local
carrier to cross peddle it's trashy equipment. Well after 1984 they
were pushing Sprint LD service down people's throats at their public
offices. Still to this day GTE is doing it. (They slammed me to Sprint
in July all by themselves.  Sprint said GTE issued the order.)  I
personally think that the omission of GTE is one huge glaring error
(among soooo many) of the MFJ. GTE gets away with so much that the
BOC's can't, and wouldn't.

A. Jacobson <izzyas1@oac.ucla.edu>