[comp.dcom.telecom] NSFNet Intercontinental ISO Transmission

cat@tygra.ddmi.com (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) (11/11/90)

In article <14555@accuvax.nwu.edu> roeber@cithe2.cithep.caltech.edu
(Frederick Roeber) writes:

"It has been mentioned that recently much transatlantic computer
"traffic has been routed via satellite because of a broken undersea
"cable.

[questions about Internet links overseas]

The following article appeared in the U-M Computing Center News
(October 25, 1990, V 5, No 18, Pg 10)

                   -----------------------

NSFNET DEMONSTRATES INTERCONTINENTAL ISO TRANSMISSION

[Editor's note: The following article is reprinted, with modifications,
 from the September 1990 issue of the Link Letter (Vol 3, No 4),
published by the Merit/NSFNET backbone project]

At the end of September, partners in the National Science Foundation
Network (NSFNET) announced a succesful demonstration of
intercontinental data transmission using the International Standards
Organization Conectionless Network Protocol (ISO CLNP). The
international exchange of ISO CLNP packets was demonstrated betweeen
end systems at the NSFNET Network Operations Center in Ann Arbor and
in Bonn, West Germany, using the NSFNET backbone infrastructure and
the European Academic Supercomputer Initiative (EASInet) backbone.

The prototype OSI (this, I think is a typo - it should be ISO)
implementation is intended to provide wide area connectivity between
OSI networks, including networks using the DECNet Phase V protocols.

The new software was integrated into the NSFNET's "packet switching"
(data transmission) nodes by David Katz and Susan Hares of the Merit
Computer Network, with support from IBM's software developement
departments in Milford, CT and Yorktown Heights, NY.

NSFNET is the first federally supported computer network to acheive
international ISO CLNP transmission on an operating network, according
to Merit's Hans-Werner Braun, Principle Investigator for the NSFNET
Project.

The Prototype ISO implementation is being designed to coexist with
NSFNET's operational Internet Protocol (IP) network, and is a
significant step towards offering OSI services on the NSFNET backbone.
Eric Aupperle, President of Merit and acting director of ITD Network
Systems, says that "the demonstration shows that we're capable of
transporting OSI traffic. Now we're working to deploy this
experimental service as fast as possible."

An implementation of CLNP was first demonstrated by Merit/NSFNET staff
at the InterOp '89 conference. That implementation of CLNP was
originally developed as part of the ARGO project at the University of
Wisconsin, Madision, with the support of the IBM Corporation.

by Ken Horning
DTD Network Systems.

mukesh@eng.sun.com (Mukesh Kacker) (11/13/90)

>At the end of September, partners in the National Science Foundation
>Network (NSFNET) announced a succesful demonstration of
>intercontinental data transmission using the International Standards
>Organization Conectionless Network Protocol (ISO CLNP). The
>international exchange of ISO CLNP packets was demonstrated betweeen
>end systems at the NSFNET Network Operations Center in Ann Arbor and
>in Bonn, West Germany, using the NSFNET backbone infrastructure and
>the European Academic Supercomputer Initiative (EASInet) backbone.

>The prototype OSI (this, I think is a typo - it should be ISO)
>implementation is intended to provide wide area connectivity between
>OSI networks, including networks using the DECNet Phase V protocols.

This is not a typo. OSI stands for "Open Systems Interconnectioni"
which is broad suite of protocols for data transmission in computer
networks following a seven layer model. The other suite of protocols
normally used on NSFNET/Internet is called the Internet suite or
commonly as the TCP/IP suite.

ISO stands for "International Standards Organization" and is the
standards body under which the OSI suite of protocols is being
developed. However ISO is not limited to computer networking
standards.  The standards for the paper sizes used on your copier or
the nuts and bolts sizes on your furniture were probably developed
under ISO.

ISO CLNP referred above is one of the Layer 3 (Network Layer)
protocols in the OSI protocol suite. This set of standard
protocols(OSI) is available in products from most major computer
vendors including the ones made by my employer Sun Microsystems Inc.

Mukesh Kacker    OSI Engineer   Sun Microsystems Inc.
Mountain View, CA 94043    e-mail: mukesh@eng.sun.com

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (11/14/90)

In article <14625@accuvax.nwu.edu>, mukesh@eng.sun.com (Mukesh Kacker)
writes:

>>The prototype OSI (this, I think is a typo - it should be ISO)
> 	       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>implementation is intended to provide wide area connectivity between
>>OSI networks, including networks using the DECNet Phase V protocols.

> This is not a typo. OSI stands for "Open Systems Interconnectioni"
> which is broad suite of protocols for data transmission in computer
> networks following a seven layer model. The other suite of protocols
> normally used on NSFNET/Internet is called the Internet suite or
> commonly as the TCP/IP suite.

OK. I guess I'll have to pick some nits here. OSI is a reference model
for networking, not a protocol suite. It is an ISO standard itself
(ISO 7498), and any set of protocols which fit this reference model is
OSI. It does not imply interoperability or any such useful thing, but
moves in that direction. For example, there are five different
Transport Protocols that are ISO standards and fit in the OSI model,
cleverly called TP0, TP1, TP2, TP3, and TP4. Each serves different
purposes and political requirements. And just wait until you get to
deal with the 50 or so address formats!

Various bodies, governmental and otherwise, are writing "profiles" to
specify just what protocols they will use and how. In the US and UK
there is a "Government OSI Profile" that is mandated for most
government systems.  Unfortunately, UK GOSIP and US GOSIP don't
interoperate directly bacause UK requires a different set of protocols
at the lower levels then the US. There are enough options in the OSI
world that everyone can have a standard network that won't communicate
with anyone else's.

> ISO stands for "International Standards Organization" and is the
> standards body under which the OSI suite of protocols is being
> developed.

Reasonably accurate except that the name of the body is "The
Organization for International Standardization", at least in English.
The name "ISO" was selected because it "looks right" in a lot of
languages without being an actual acronym for the name of the body in
any language, thus avoiding offending either anglophiles or
francophiles.

This is the sort of silliness international bodies have to go through
to keep users happy and why there are five Transport Protocols, of
which only three are likely to ever be implemented and probably only
two really used much. Of course, some country will probably select TP1
and a major computer vendor select TP3 just to be a pain :-).

But enough OSI bashing. Given market forces some rational set of
protocols should emerge and they may even work. And OSI does allow a
lot of neat functionallity beyond what the TCP/IP suite allows. Just
don't expect it tomorrow!

R. Kevin Oberman   Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov    415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.