[comp.dcom.telecom] People Unclear on the Concept

Ed_Greenberg@3mail.3com.com (11/10/90)

I dropped by the local Burger King the other day, for my ration of
fast breakfast.  Outside is a brand spanking new COCOT.  Inside is a
sign that states, "We do not give change for the phone."

Now, given that the BK is in it for the cash, why discourage usage?

This COCOT allows use of AT&T.  Dialing 10288 causes the phone to
say "Thank you" and then it outdials 102880.  This fact is indicated on
the instruction card.  "Card Calls completed by Com Systems. To use AT&T
dial 10288"  I'm impressed.

edg

Moderator's Note: Perhaps the answer is they know they will make just
as much money anyway without the extra effort of making change. The
poor devils who have to use the phone can simply use the change they
were planning to use to get on the bus instead, and go somewhere else
to look for bus fare money. When you go to that sort of dump to eat,
why are you surprised by anything they say or do?   PAT]

dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David Tamkin) (11/12/90)

Ed Greenberg wrote in volume 10, issue 805:

| I dropped by the local Burger King the other day, for my ration of
| fast breakfast.  Outside is a brand spanking new COCOT.  Inside is a
| sign that states, "We do not give change for the phone."

The operative word here is "outside."

| Now, given that the BK is in it for the cash, why discourage usage?

Because the BK franchisee doesn't own the COCOT.  The landlord owns
the COCOT.  The BK franchisee got sick of being short of change for
its own customers by the end of the day (and losing sales when
customers walked out) because it provided change for the landlord's
customers.  The franchisee got sick of having its lines lengthened and
its real customers forced to wait because its employees were tied up
handling zero-profit transactions to help the landlord make money.
The only money they owe the landlord is what is stated in their lease.

COCOTS, by the way, should not be spanking.  Spanked, yes.

David Tamkin  Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  708 518 6769  312 693 0591
MCI Mail: 426-1818  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570   dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (11/14/90)

>I dropped by the local Burger King the other day ... Outside is a
>brand spanking new COCOT.  Inside is a sign that states, "We do not
>give change for the phone."

>Now, given that the BK is in it for the cash, why discourage usage?

Fast-food cash registers are more secure than the usual models; it may
be that the front-line workers can't open the cash drawer without
ringing up a sale.  Back when I worked at Arby's, we had the same
problem when a coin-op car wash opened next door.

Kenneth Herron