[comp.dcom.telecom] A New Type of 976 Fraud

dbw@crash.cts.com (David B. Whiteman) (11/07/90)

Well the 976 people discovered a new way of fraud today: The hospital
I work at leases a block of digital pagers from a local paging
company.  Each of these pagers has its own seven digit normal phone
number -- when you dial the pager phone number you are suppose to
enter the phone number you want the person to call back to, or in our
hospital's case extension.  This number then appears on the display on
the pager.

Well today a group of pagers, all of them with phone numbers in
sequential order were each beeped with the message to call a 976
number.  Obviously, a 976 company just autodialled the pager exchange.

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (11/11/90)

In article <14494@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dbw@crash.cts.com (David B.
Whiteman) writes:

> Well today a group of pagers, all of them with phone numbers in
> sequential order were each beeped with the message to call a 976
> number.  Obviously, a 976 company just autodialled the pager exchange.

Sounds like the antics of some jokester, rather than fraud by a 976
"information provider."  I'll bet if you look into this, you'll find
that the number is for "Call me ... I'm Michelle."

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

king@uunet.uu.net (Steven King) (11/15/90)

Whiteman) writes:

>Well today a group of pagers, all of them with phone numbers in
>sequential order were each beeped with the message to call a 976
>number.  Obviously, a 976 company just autodialled the pager exchange.

So, did anyone call the 976 number to find out who the slimy little
reptilian company was?  Might have been interesting.

Steven King, Motorola Cellular  (...uunet!motcid!king)