[comp.dcom.telecom] Question About "Point of Demarcation"

"David G. Cantor" <dgc@math.ucla.edu> (09/30/90)

In TELECOM Digest, V10, No. 693, Roger Clark refers to new FCC
regulations concerning inside wirng rules and, in particular, refers
to "the point of demarcation" between the telco's wiring and the
subscriber's wiring.

Does the FCC require that there be such a point of demarcation?  I
live in GTE country and neither I, nor my neighbors, have such a
point.  Does this point (which I assume is a modular jack and plug)
have to be accessible without entering the subscriber's premises, or
at least without passing through a locked gate or door?

David G. Cantor
Department of Mathematics
University of California at Los Angeles
Internet:  dgc@math.ucla.edu

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (10/11/90)

In article <12849@accuvax.nwu.edu> dgc@math.ucla.edu writes:

>In TELECOM Digest, V10, No. 693, Roger Clark refers to new FCC
>regulations concerning inside wirng rules and, in particular, refers
>to "the point of demarcation" between the telco's wiring and the
>subscriber's wiring.

>Does the FCC require that there be such a point of demarcation?  I
>live in GTE country and neither I, nor my neighbors, have such a
>point.  Does this point (which I assume is a modular jack and plug)
>have to be accessible without entering the subscriber's premises, or
>at least without passing through a locked gate or door?

	I am served by US West. The only feature I have in my wiring
which could be called a "point of demarcation" is a small terminal block
on the inside wall of my garage, covered by a neoprene boot which says
"Bell System" on it.

	Clearly no one has been out to install a "point of demarcation"
or any other wiring at my house since long before the MFJ - possibly not
since Judge Greene was in law school.

	Remember, the "point of demarcation" was brought to us by the
same brilliant legal minds who gave us the law against listening to
cellular telephone transmissions, which made most of us who own TV sets
criminals. In my case, that point coincides with a well-identifiable
point inside my house - other people may not be so "lucky".

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/06/90)

In article <13499@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>The only feature I have in my wiring which could be called a "point of
>demarcation" is a small terminal block on the inside wall of my garage,
>covered by a neoprene boot which says "Bell System" on it.

That's it.  It's the lightning protector, provided to keep your phones
from exploding if there's a hit nearby.  Post-MFJ demarcation points
are a somewhat bigger box with both the protector and an RJ-11 plug
and socket, so in case of trouble you can unplug your inside wiring,
plug in a known good phone, and tell easily if the trouble's inside or
outside.

As far as I can tell, every phone installation in the country is
supposed to run through a protector, so it is a sensible demarc point.
(Yeah, large PBX installations have an RJ-21 block for the demarc
point, but we can hope that such PBXes have someone around who knows
what's going on.)

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!esegue!johnl

Jeff.Scheer@f23.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Jeff Scheer) (11/15/90)

Most obviously any large business, regardless of two trunks or fifty
trunks has a demarc box outside.  I for one, have a hundred pair
demarc cable block outside my back door, but then again, most people
don't run a business out of their home.

As for large PBX's, would a voice mail operation with five DID trunks
count as a "PBX"??  As for a "PBX" itself, what about a 555 cord board
for a main answering point?  I know I need an RJ21X, but how many?
Will one cover the incoming DID trunks, along with business lines and
the voice mail inbound directly to a"regular" house jack?  Please
respond as I am in a wheelchair, and can't really get out to
investigate at the library/ or the library at the USWEST office in
Omaha; although I have asked USWEST to send me a copy of the schematic
for a 555.

I know this is the ninties, but I enter messages on the computer with
a software program that I have.  I can jumper into the computer along
with the voice mail card to provide simultaneous voice/data by using
one line out for the computer and me on the other.  Anyway with the
electric situation that usually occurs in the Midwest during the
summer or winter, I feel that a 555 cord board is "handy" to have
around, since I'm not dependent on an auxilliary generator to have the
power to run both computer and phone system.

The .COMmand Center [200:5010/23@metronet] (1:285/23) (Opus 1:285/23)

 --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
Jeff.Scheer@f23.n285.z1.fidonet.org