[comp.dcom.telecom] AT Bus Hardware For ISDN

ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper) (11/12/90)

arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold Robbins) writes:

> In article <14447@accuvax.nwu.edu> holos0!wdh@gatech.edu (Weaver
> Hickerson) writes:

> >I'm interested in finding what types, if any, of AT bus hardware is
> >available/in the works for ISDN, as well as simply learning more about
> >the service.

> At SuperComm '90 this past spring, AT&T had a huge "booth".  One of
> the things they showed was an ISDN card for the AT bus.  So, I know it
> exists.

> However, my experience has been that AT&T is *SO* large that finding
> someone who knows what you want so that you can order it is next to
> impossible.

Just to avoid the inevitable "AT&T is so dumb they could sell ice
cubes in the desert" BS, here are a couple of leads as to where you
can and cannot find that card.

I believe the card is a product of AT&T Network Systems. These are the
guys who sell 5ESS and that sort of stuff to the LECs.  The idea being
that the LECs would sell it to endusers via their hardware
subsidiaries.  They also sell "7500" series ISDN sets the same way.
The card may also be available via the PBX sales folks, but I doubt it

(for a large enough order they could probably get it via the "special
bid" procedure inside AT&T).  There has existed for some time a
similar card intended for the System 75/85/Definity DCP protocols.
Last I heard, that card was not compatible with BRI (2B+D). There is
also a slight possiblity that AT&T Paradyne has an offering in this
area.

The card is NOT, I repeat, NOT an AT&T Computer Systems product.
Computer Systems does not sell DCE, period.

Ed Hopper
AT&T Computer Systems

rickr@uunet.uu.net (Rick Rodman) (11/16/90)

AT&T's card requires CPU attention from the AT-bus computer (read:
pokey).

Contact DGM&S in New Jersey for some nice hardware using 80188 and TI
320C30 DSP!

Also there is a very expensive board from Mitel.

Rick Rodman      uunet!virtech!rickr	"Yesterday's Tomorrow is Here Today"