[comp.dcom.telecom] Dialogic vs. AT&T Voice Power vs. ...

jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (11/11/90)

We have been using Dialogic voice boards for several years now and
have several hundred in service.  Yet I am not completely happy with
them and would like to hear about the competition.

Specific complaints include bad ring-detect circuitry (shout into the
phone and the board goes off-hook) and the lack of a hybrid circuit to
prevent output audio from finding its way into the touch-tone receiver
(the board will often not hear a touch-tone from the user if pressed
at the same time as speech is being played).

The other four-port boards that I know of are the AT&T Voice Power
board, and a similar board from Rhetorex.  How do these compare?
Unfortunately, Rhetorex does not provide Unix drivers.

Jim Gottlieb
E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.info.com> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>
V-Mail: +1 213 551 7702   Fax: 478-3060   Voice: 824-5454

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (11/16/90)

In article <14540@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim
Gottlieb) writes:

[ regarding PC voice i/o boards ]

> The other four-port boards that I know of are the AT&T Voice Power
> board, and a similar board from Rhetorex.  How do these compare?
> Unfortunately, Rhetorex does not provide Unix drivers.

AT&T Voice Power includes a UNIX driver (for AT&T UNIX SysV/386) and a
C application program interface library.  As far as I know, no driver
for MS-DOS was ever offered.  The audio quality is better than
Dialogic.  Compression is more effective (2000 bytes per second of
speech, with optional silence-compression making it even tighter).
Early versions of the board suffered from talk-off (speech being
detected as touch-tones) and from imperfect silence detection.  Later
versions improved both of these areas.  The cost per line is about 2x
the Dialogic cost for the four-line board.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857